Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: not another mad torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Default not another mad torque

So just wanted to start one of these because alot of people own these things but there isnt to many builds out there. So here is my version.

Things broken so far:
Front knuckle
Axle hub assembly the screw snapped off inside axle shaft.
Rear motor has locked up twice take it apart clean it and relube and it fixes it
2 channel remote steering wheel broke and now it always glitches to the left
snapped off all thread in front tie rod doing sky wheelies
burned the servo out

Started out with the basic blue mad torque, and imediately started modding it. First cut the tire foams into star, moved shocks outboard. I met a group of local guys who wheel so i hooked up with them. First thing was apparent the tires needed some help and i was getting high centered on everything i needed to get that belly off of the ground and rotate the motors up out the rocks. I added stick on wheel weights to the front tires 3 oz per tire i think. Then i inboarded the lower links.

Last edited by MMjeep; 07-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.
MMjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #2

That still didnt suit my needs so i moved the links around again hacked off some the frame and narrowed the chassis down to 3".

Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

I wheeled it some more but forward progress on the slopes sucked so i opted to put more weight in the front tires i used carriage bolts from home depot.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Well i wheeled it some more but the tires still sucked all the weight in the world would help them bite. So i ordered some panther leopards and some ic 2000 and got to work. I love these things by the way the stick to everything first foams i had were way to soft but im running a dual stage foam with supersoft outers and firm inners.They stand 6in tall.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

Next in line i have some 60t motors, ax10 aluminum hi steer knuckles coming. Then gonna hook up dig as soon as i get a 3channel remote.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Installed 60t motors, HR aluminum hi steer knuckles, and a bunch of other broken or worn out parts. Also stretched it out to 17.25". Not happy with the servo placement though. I have some binding when i turn so that will have to be relocated. You can see in the second pic where i actually lowered the servo plate down about 1/4".

Old 07-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #7

narrowed frame down to 2in outside to outside, and put on a smaller lighter skid plate.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

The price of these things really have me curious, and I've been seeing more and more of them on here lately. I might have to check one out. What's your overall impression of these axles...especially the gears? There doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support, and I'd hate to have them blow and not have good replacements.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
The price of these things really have me curious, and I've been seeing more and more of them on here lately. I might have to check one out. What's your overall impression of these axles...especially the gears? There doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support, and I'd hate to have them blow and not have good replacements.
Well all the gears are steel and i run 60t motors and i bash on it pretty hard havent broke any of the gears.The only weak link i see on the axle is the c's are molded into the tubes but you can buy spare tubes for like $2-3 dollars so not really a big deal. Overall its a great platform to build off of and learn. Tires should be the first thing you replace IMO changes the whole rig.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Do you have any pics next to a standard 2.2 rig?
phxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #11

Hey man its devin lol. you still looking for a servo for rear steer? i think i can get a hold of my old stock one again if ya want it. Lmk
dschaetzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

hey yeah bill said he had one layin around and i mentioned dual servos and he said you might have yours still. Mine took a crap on me yesterday so right now i dont have any servos. Shoot me a pm if your able to get it or bill has my number you can just text him.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMjeep View Post
hey yeah bill said he had one layin around and i mentioned dual servos and he said you might have yours still. Mine took a crap on me yesterday so right now i dont have any servos. Shoot me a pm if your able to get it or bill has my number you can just text him.
haha yeah he said 2 servos for rear steer and i got confused for a second. but i was able to get it back if you still want it. is the wire going to be long enough? theyre about 5" shorter than usual ones
dschaetzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #14

if it aint long enough ill solder my wires onto it. Give me a shout 256-553-2665 i usually get off work round 330-530. I could meet you anywhere in columbus to get it.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
The only complaint i have with the Mad torque is the Transmission case. All the flex in the axle is at the transmission case where the tubes bolt on. If there was an aluminum transmission case it would be spot on.

I wish there were CVD's available too.

But to make it comp ready, you have to do some modifications... up the wheels size as it comes with 2.8's which are too small. The stock wheel base is only 17 I think so you can streach it out to max changing the rod ends and you're on point. For the $ it's worth messing with for a cheep super if you've never run a super before.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #16

ordered 2 t-pro mg946r servos to do the front dual servo steering.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #17

did some more mods after the stock servo crapped out on me. Dual t-pro servos. IDK if i should run a tie rod between them to tie it all together any suggestions? Also my front and rear 4 link.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMjeep View Post
did some more mods after the stock servo crapped out on me. Dual t-pro servos. IDK if i should run a tie rod between them to tie it all together any suggestions? Also my front and rear 4 link.

Make sure yoyu put 1 solid drag link from knuckle to knuckle or you will have problems with the wheels wanting to go oposite directons on rough terain... that and it will let both servos work together to move the front end.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
Make sure yoyu put 1 solid drag link from knuckle to knuckle or you will have problems with the wheels wanting to go oposite directons on rough terain... that and it will let both servos work together to move the front end.
thanks i figured that and made a tie in link ill take some pics of it later came out real clean IMO. I stripped out one of the rear links and broke my tap trying to tap it to 6-32. Broke a $10 tap on a $2 part
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #20

Default Re: not another mad torque

I really link those hi steer knuckles. I'll be buying some of them soon
trackercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote