Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: pro's con's Wheel weights and foam trimiming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Default pro's con's Wheel weights and foam trimiming

Kinda new to rc crawling. Looking for advice on wheel weight and gear trimming the tire foams. I currently own a Maxstone 8. Yeah Yeah i know not the best crawler out there but for what it's worth it goes pretty good. In my opinion of course. The only thing I don't like is the parts support.

Anyway. To cut the foam or not to cut and wheel weight. What is a good amount to add for my rig. I don't want to put to much strees on my axles. Also I added some 1/8 holes to my rims and that has helped with tire plyability but I still am looking for more. Read up on the gear cut shape into the foam, but it seems to be 50/50 for suggestion.

Any help would be cool
systema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

Default Re: pro's con's Wheel weights and foam trimiming

i shaved the foams on my madtorque from the 2inches stock o 1" and that seems to work better than star pattern for me
ticava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

The best thing you could do is replace the tires. If you can't afford to replace them then sipe them. The lugs are too close together and with cut foams you will notice when the tires compress the lugs touch each other.
707offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

yeah. I did notice that. Are regular 40 series tires the same size as the ones that came on the Maxstone 8? Or are the after market one a little smaller? Asking because I noticed that the wheels have 23mm hubs and many other 1/8 crawlers have 17mm. Not 100% on that statement, please correct me if I am mistaken.
systema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

I replaced the foams in my RedCat Super with home made dual density foams, courtesy of WallMart. See my post here: supercooper's RedCat Super Mods (aka how to make an RC Super almost acceptable)
I also added knuckle weights at 12oz each and siped the tires. I'll be narrowing the rims next, as these tires are at least 3/4" too wide. I think the Maxstone rims are the same size as mine and you may want to narrow your rims, too.
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote

pro's con's Wheel weights and foam trimiming - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro's/Con's of 60/40 stance atekt General Crawlers 21 09-07-2009 12:56 PM
m3 hammer with memory foam pro's and con's! calikingcrawler Tires and Wheels 3 01-15-2009 11:16 PM
Articulation: Pro's and Con's SpyderMonkee General Crawlers 55 06-14-2007 08:31 PM
Pro's/Con's 4WS CrawlAZ Newbie General 13 05-20-2006 09:20 AM