Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking for "Super" advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Looking for "Super" advice

Ya, that's weird that he had the little servo in the front and the 7980 in the back?! Those are the 38:1 bully axles so you want the smallest pinions rc4wd sells. What turn motors are your broods? With those axles you will want 45 or 55t motors especially with the FXR's. They lack the drag brake needed for a super. You might look into getting 65:1 cases from rc4wd. They are $60 a piece with gears and then the FXR's will work great with a lower turn motor. Oh, if it doesn't have knuckle weight, I would add some. You can do it easy with a piece of 1/4" steel, cut it round so it fits inside the wheel, drill a hole so it fits tight over the knuckle, trim the top flat and drill a hole for a set screw. Cheap and easy! I can post a pic if you want?
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Yes I would very much appreciate if you would post a picture of that. I have knuckle weights on my 2.2, but there is not a whole lot to offer out of the box for the super sized crawlers. That is why I am so excited. I am glad you were able to tell me what the ratio was in the cases, I asked the seller and he didn't even know, so I had already been scoping out the 65:1's. My Broods are 35T so it sounds best that I keep the Terra's in it for now? I take it these axles can be 'fast'? I have never seen a superclass in real life, so I am clearly jumping in over my head (I'm good at being stupid and not showing it)
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #23
RCC Addict

As with most of us really
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #24
Wanna get? Gotta want.

If you plan on buying super motors do yourself a favor and get some of Brood's "Axle Buster" motors. They are unstoppable when it comes to torque and start up. No need to worry about better gearing or weak drag brakes of the FXR either, these motors take care of all those problems.

With my Axle busters in my super, my super drives like my 2.2. Thats saying a lot.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #25
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
If you plan on buying super motors do yourself a favor and get some of Brood's "Axle Buster" motors. They are unstoppable when it comes to torque and start up. No need to worry about better gearing or weak drag brakes of the FXR either, these motors take care of all those problems.

With my Axle busters in my super, my super drives like my 2.2. Thats saying a lot.
Momma... Axle Busters. I have those in my pro rig
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I do actually plan on getting some motors for it. I've spoken with Eddie, and he mentioned sending my motors to him, and he can do whatever I choose. So axle-busters are the ones huh? What turn do you run? 45-55?

I am going to need some help with the wheel's here. I looked around all day yesterday trying to find something to start out with, thanks to the current purchase of the super my man money is broken at the moment. I was considering the Blast's I keep reading a bunch on those. I have never modified a tire though, so that's where my "uh uh" comes in to play. What do you guys suggest? Whats your first plan of thought. I seen a video on a super some time ago, and this fella had 'Plow Boy' tires or something like that on a super, and I really dig them, but don't know where to get them, or how many to look for.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I run 45t.

I dont think I have marketed my new/cheap super wheels very well. Most still think super wheels are outrageous on price. My G10 glue on wheels start out at $45ish per pair in glue on style. Dont be afraid of the G10 either. I have sold a good bit of them with no failures. I would even give them a shot if I didnt already own the CF ones.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Oh I'm not scared I'd love to give them a shot. I actually like working with delrin and G10 more than Carbon Fiber in a lot of instances. Its been my observation that G10 is more "flexible" then CF. I have had MANY high speed impacts and have seen CF just snap, and the flexibility of the G10 in some cases can absorb the impact making it less likely to break. Getting a set of those wheels sound really intriguing honestly. So I will be buying some from you. I have a fellow that offered me a set of Blasts as well so I can learn the rig with the blasts and then after I know what I'm doing I'll get some nicer wheels on it. That is also my exact hope with the chassis too fella's. I would like to get a raggity old used one and beat on it until I learn the truck, then once I do I will replace it with a new chassis, then hand the first one down to the next guy.

Funny thing, I did that with my 2.2, I got a used chassis, drove the crap out of the truck until I figured it out. When I bought my new chassis I 'gave' the other chassis to someone that was building an XR and he gave me a 'tip' of the exact price I paid for it. He said that he is going to follow what I did, and when he gets his new one he plans to do the same thing. So hopefully that chassis will stay with the forums for awhile.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:

Do you think the 45t axle busters would work good for a berg super with stock gears? If so, then it will work good in this. They are very close to the same gearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
Yes I would very much appreciate if you would post a picture of that. I have knuckle weights on my 2.2, but there is not a whole lot to offer out of the box for the super sized crawlers. That is why I am so excited. I am glad you were able to tell me what the ratio was in the cases, I asked the seller and he didn't even know, so I had already been scoping out the 65:1's. My Broods are 35T so it sounds best that I keep the Terra's in it for now? I take it these axles can be 'fast'? I have never seen a superclass in real life, so I am clearly jumping in over my head (I'm good at being stupid and not showing it)
Quote:
I do actually plan on getting some motors for it. I've spoken with Eddie, and he mentioned sending my motors to him, and he can do whatever I choose. So axle-busters are the ones huh? What turn do you run? 45-55?

I am going to need some help with the wheel's here. I looked around all day yesterday trying to find something to start out with, thanks to the current purchase of the super my man money is broken at the moment. I was considering the Blast's I keep reading a bunch on those. I have never modified a tire though, so that's where my "uh uh" comes in to play. What do you guys suggest? Whats your first plan of thought. I seen a video on a super some time ago, and this fella had 'Plow Boy' tires or something like that on a super, and I really dig them, but don't know where to get them, or how many to look for.
If these motors are that good i would think you will be fine with the cases you have right now. Just get the smallest gear RC4WD sells. I think it is a 12t or 13t. 13t is what the axles come with stock. That will be pretty fast also.

As for a chassis, i think it might be hard to find a decent used one? Maybe try the wanted section?

With the wheels, look into what hubs you need for them. It might be cheaper in the long run to just get the wheels from Dlux because you can get his wheels and hubs together and won't be buying everything twice.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Yeah that makes sense, can't you use the same hubs though as long as you get the same style? I looked at Dlux's wheels they are VERY nice. I just know how I am when I am driving my rigs, I really don't like reverse and believe I can recover all roll overs. So I am rather hard on them. I would have a very difficult time trying to kick my own ass for messing up a Dlux wheel. A forum member offered me a very decent set of those Blast wheels at a nice price. I think I will take him up on that. So from what I've gathered on the tire portion you have to cut and glue tires together in order to achieve the size you're after?

I know what you are talking about with the used Super Chassis, I have been searching all week and haven't been able to dig much up. I'll just have to put on my big boy britches and find a new one I like and go for it!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #31
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Do you think the 45t axle busters would work good for a berg super with stock gears? If so, then it will work good in this. They are very close to the same gearing.
My gearing is not much better than stock Berg. I think my gearing and motors are perfect.

Quote:
I would have a very difficult time trying to kick my own ass for messing up a Dlux wheel.

If you did, you would be the first to ever do it.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Erik's not lying-- I've got G10 super wheels on a berg super and no failures at all... And I fall off many ledges... Well I don't, but my super does.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Ya, i dought anyone drives Dlux products harder than Erik Dlux himself! Well, except maybe DickyT! Haha And if DickyT can't break them, know one is going to!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #34
RCC Addict

These are the best pics I can find of the knuckle weights. I don't have them anymore or I would give them to you.

They would be really easy to make. Just a hole in the center that fits over the hub and a set screw in the top. You don't have to use brass, any steel will be heavy enough. Just paint it black and it will look cool!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #35

Glad to see you building a super!! These things are a blast!!!

I made these from plastic. Very similar to Erik's. Much easier than I thought it would be. The bolts make it way easy to adjust the weight. This version is pretty rough but you get the idea. If you run beadlocks with SLW wheels the weight can be pushed even further out by putting the bolts pointed out with the nuts on the outside.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crawl in Az; 04-04-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Crawl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #36
RCC Addict

using erics delrin hubs on the bully lets you eliminate the hexes all together and that
will reduce a good bit of slop. they use the same 6 hole bolt pattern that most wheels are using now.

you can always make your own chassis. look at the builds for ideas, even use a 2.2 chassis as a model
my chassises (chassi?) would win the ugliest chassis awards. they are just something for the links and
suspension to bolt on to

welcome to the super addiction
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Knuckle weights I made out of delrin and melted some lead into .45 cal bullet cases.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Facing out
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Holy smokes! You guys are awesome!! This is good guys thank you so much, I see good ideas, and awesome ingenuity. I just tracked my super and it isn't going to get here until FRIDAY. Goodness I already have a new chassis on the way, and am working on some rims too. I'm going to end up with more stuff for it before it even arrives.

So what do you guys do about the tires? I have a member offering up a set of Blast rims, but I cannot find a lot of information about the tires themselves. Any help, and or even more pictures would be awesome!! Thanks again, and so far I am loving the SUPER ADDICTION!!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Tires are the worst part about a super. They are expensive to buy and intimidating to try and build. I have an old set that came with my super and they are just a Sedona cut and then 1/4 of another Sedona glued in. They don't look great and they are small by today's standards at 7.25" but they work.

You can see the seam here.

You can kind of see the seam in this pic. There at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the front tire.

Looking for "Super" advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM