Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: Literally stole a Tamiya Bruiser off of ebay...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Literally stole a Tamiya Bruiser off of ebay...

I was going to order a re-release kit but came across this nice example with a low bid and not many bidders with little time left. I threw out a low bid and WON for half of what the new kits are going for!

I've always been curious about this legendary 3 speed truck and am a Tamiyafile to a degree. I've built nearly every chassis they've ever release I think. I'm not sure what sure direction to go with this truck.

Part of me says to restore the original body to box art condition and do a nut and bolt breakdown/rebuild and relist it for a profit making price in time for xmas, and the other part of me says to sell my trailfinder, sell my gelende 2 d90, and build this bruiser as my own personal shelf queen and occasional trail crawling.

Can I use my TF2 RC4WD Mojave body with this or should I just buy a re-release body. I want the round headlights regardless.

These were not the most capable rigs were they? I'm not overly fond of leaf sprung rigs except for scale element.

I'm figuring I'll do a full resto on it and sell it for another project. Maybe the Original restored body and then a revamped modern build with different wheels/tires?

What do you guys think?

Fresh interior spare parts and old school radio gear!

daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Literally stole a Tamiya Bruiser off of ebay...

If you love Tamiya's and have other trucks to run, I would take it apart/repair/replace/clean what every it needs and keep it. Take it out now and then to have a little old - RC fun. Then put it back in is spot for display. I've always enjoyed owning vintage RC vehicles, and I try to have them all ready to run - even if its easy running. It looks like you got a great deal on a nice truck... Buy a new truck if you really want to run the daylights out of it...But its always cool to own a little peice of RC history...Enjoy!!
b17fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

It looks as though it has restored.Just get rid of the silver side steps,Replace them with your extra set and maybe redo the stickers on the body to get rid of the wrinkles.Great find
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #4

That's an awesome score. I never have any luck like that. Mind you I have not been looking lately. I had a friend find a mint mountaineer in the garbage a few years ago.
infokiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

Nice find, I agree with krazykrawler on the sticker redo. A little detail on the window weather strip and sleeper windows would look good as well.

I'd say just putt putt it around and keep it stock since you have other trucks to beat on, the really clean ones are getting hard to find.

They can be made into really capable trucks but then you might as well start with a bare frame.

Last edited by chino63; 10-29-2013 at 09:19 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Is it worth converting this thing to running condition with modern gear or keeping it at is with all the old school radio bits. I noticed things like the 540 RC4wd conversion mount are being discontinued due to the new release.

Part of me says to restore/refresh it and get some parts I need before the market is saturated with repro stuff, the other part of me says box it up and save it for a few years or display it ;)
Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Nice find, I agree with krazykrawler on the sticker redo. A little detail on the window weather strip and sleeper windows would look good as well.

I'd say just putt putt it around and keep it stock since you have other trucks to beat on, the really clean ones are getting hard to find.

They can be made into really capable trucks but then you might as well start with a bare frame.

I saw I can get sticker sets. I am afraid to strip this old paint/body though, would it be best to give it a light sand, then prime, then respray?

I don't believe this thing has ever seen dirt. Only grass and concrete. Its insanely clean it blows my mind.

(stripping an F350 with oven cleaner currently)

In a way, I think the original radio gear and screwed up stickers give it that "original" rc vibe. Patina if you will.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
I saw I can get sticker sets. I am afraid to strip this old paint/body though, would it be best to give it a light sand, then prime, then respray?

I don't believe this thing has ever seen dirt. Only grass and concrete. Its insanely clean it blows my mind.
(stripping an F350 with oven cleaner currently)

In a way, I think the original radio gear and screwed up stickers give it that "original" rc vibe. Patina if you will.
The best stuff I've found for stripping paint on styrene bodies is called scalecoat 2. The problem with sanding is loss of detail or if the paint is soft, your final coat will look like crap and/or possibly see scratches from sanding.

The Scalecoat works awesome, I was able to remove 4 layers of paint on an original hilux body and it looked like a brand new body when done.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I stripped my 30 year old og hilux body with oven cleaner, it worked great on mine, I didn't want to sand that body and ruin the detail.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
The best stuff I've found for stripping paint on styrene bodies is called scalecoat 2. The problem with sanding is loss of detail or if the paint is soft, your final coat will look like crap and/or possibly see scratches from sanding.

The Scalecoat works awesome, I was able to remove 4 layers of paint on an original hilux body and it looked like a brand new body when done.
Any chance this would work on the lexan bodies as well?
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Noted. Thanks. I used some ez oven off and it took 90% of the paint off a screwed up paint job on an F350 hardbody. One more spray down and some toothbrush work and it'd be brand new.

Going to do the same with the bruiser I think... I dunno, I need to finish the F350 TF2 build and D90 Gelande 2 build first
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

this is after removing three layers of different color paint at least 20 years old.

But yeah, go finish your other projects first
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Personally I would only do enough to get it to run as it should with the old radio gear. The patina it has is worth way more as a survivor than a repainted shelf queen. Wrinkles in the decals make it "real". My opinion anyway. You have a great find my friend.

PM me when you're ready to sell as is and do nothing to it but appreciate it. I would happily cover the cost of a new kit in exchange for it. It will be cared for just like my blazing blazer for as long as I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #14

Nice Truck!!!! I just recently scored an original Tamiya bruiser mountaineer, in the process of "restoring" it, i love the scale aspect of this truck so much i ordered a new trailfinder to build, so the mountaineer has been put on teh back burner for now.
tmaxxfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Is it worth converting this thing to running condition with modern gear or keeping it at is with all the old school radio bits. I noticed things like the 540 RC4wd conversion mount are being discontinued due to the new release.

Part of me says to restore/refresh it and get some parts I need before the market is saturated with repro stuff, the other part of me says box it up and save it for a few years or display it ;)
Hey, first off, nice score! I got my vintage bruiser for probably around the same price as you did, but yours looks a lot better than mine did when I received it, especially those drive shafts!

I personally think you should keep it as old school/original as possible. I plan on using all the stock parts, but doing mods to them, for instance I chromed the frame, rummy mod on the axles, stainless hex screws, ball bearings, etc.

I also think that if you're going to restore it and put a ton of hours in it you would be better off keeping it for yourself. No one wants to pay what they're really worth after restored. I saw one perfectly restored with all the bearings, pro painted body, etc-RTR for $899 on ebay and it just sat and sat. The re-release killed 'ol bruce

Also, you wont be able to use TF2 body on the bruiser because it has a drop bed and it wont fit over the electronics box. You can always get a re-release body or just the new front bumper pieces

Last edited by Mr.Bruiser; 11-14-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Mr.Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Good score! Wish I never sold my old Bruiser....
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:38 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Guys, you can also use brake fluid. Wont hurt the body. Any will work. Used it myself and seen Ion on extreme 4x4 use it too. peels right off.
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I also would leave it be ...clean what u can and shelf it in my opinon I two just picked up a vintahe one that was super clean w original vintahe radio gear I ran it once in the house n shelfed it I habe others to run lol nice find
the build master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I vote for leaving it alone and shelving it.Or sell it to someone who plans on shelving it. Because remember once you redo, replace, or upgrade. It'll never be original again. It'll then be redone, refreshed, or modernized. Old school kits are always better as old school. IMO.....
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote

Literally stole a Tamiya Bruiser off of ebay... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone stole this Bruiser GraTou Chit Chat 24 01-21-2014 10:05 PM
[Tamiya Bruiser Hilux Video] Tamiya Bruiser Hilux Re-Release - RC Offroad Adventures boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 08-26-2013 07:19 AM
TF2 vs Tamiya Bruiser vs RC4wd Bruiser blazerk5 General Crawlers 1 07-13-2012 11:49 PM
Ebay MOUNTAINEER BRUISER TRANSMISSION mr.maxx Chit Chat 6 10-29-2006 09:17 PM
Scale Bruiser Jeep on Ebay mr.maxx Chit Chat 11 08-27-2006 08:00 PM