Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clodbuster Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clodbuster Project

This is my clodbuster project I am currently working on....Now I will note that I don't have the money for and ESC, steering kit, or new motors yet but I'm working on it, and I'm currently using the stock suspension arm things, mechanical speed control, and steering setup.......

Last edited by mastathug0; 01-18-2008 at 09:26 AM.
mastathug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Oh the chassis is just started, not even close to being finished yet, I just decided to try the shock mounts I made, to see if they would work, then I decided to snap some pics, to show on here and see what u guys thought of it...........I still gotta make the belly to hold the stock steering setup, the top of the chassis needs to be made, the back needs to be rounded out or something like that, then hook it all up to the suspension arms, and finally build some kinda body mounts
Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just hooked up the stock Mechanical Speed Contol,an on/off switch and my Traxxas Reciever and put on my Jumbo Maxx T-Maxx tires.....And heres a pic I just took

Last edited by mastathug0; 01-18-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

please go outside to take pics.
we cant see shit.
just black blurry ink blots lol
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ummm I cant really go outside cause there is a huge storm goin on so thats y I'v been taking the pics inside, Ill take some more pics while using the flash on the cam so it will pick it out more

Last edited by mastathug0; 01-18-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just measure the wheel base and it has a 16 1/2 inch wheel base, as u can see it makes my 12 inch wheel base Wheely King look small

Last edited by mastathug0; 01-18-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ohh guys please dont be too harsh, this is only my second day working on it, including striping it down from stock form and then bending and mounting it all up, and I'm yet to finish the body cause I want the truck done then I might have to cut the fenders off and that stuff

Last edited by mastathug0; 01-18-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

any comments at all
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Here are the wheels and tires I'm gonna be using cause I don't wanna drop the amount of cash for the 40 series Moab XL's
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNWP2&P=7
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=TMLB7201
Heres the ESC I'm gonna be getting
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...C1&log_pid=yes
Heres the motors I'll be getting
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...T3&log_pid=yes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You've got no money but you're building a tuber? Hope you have all the supplies already in hand, as building up a tuber ain't cheap if you're starting from scratch. I know!

My recommendation; first, your camera sucks, get a new one ;) People on this board are picture addicts. Second, you're going to sink a lot of cash into it no matter what. If you're broke, I'd recommend instead working on getting your WK up to crawler status, or starting with an Axial. Honestly, I think you'll end up disappointed if you go with cheap parts because you can't afford decent stuff. That's my two cents. I'd also simplify and just start with something like a pimp cane. Cheaper and very straightforward.

Finally, 40 series moabs won't be much more than the tires you've shown. 40 series rims are fairly cheap too. Go with 65 turn motors (my personal opinion). 55 turn is better suited to 2.2's, although I know a lot of guys do run them in their supers, just geared down significantly. The esc will work, but they're hit and miss. Might be better off with a Novak or Mamba Max.

Good luck!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Right now I got all the supplies to build the tuber.......I'm just thinkin I will start working again and then slowly upgrade the equipment as I go....Right now I'm gonna be ordering a new ESC prolly the Traxxas EVX2, and then the motors...Ohh the reason that I said I'd be buying the 55t's is cause I already have one that I was using on my Wheely King.....I just got one question for right now....Should I just put the truck back to stock and drive the crap outta it till I build up the cash to do it right
Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastathug0 View Post
Should I just put the truck back to stock and drive the crap outta it till I build up the cash to do it right
Sounds like a plan to me
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well I started working at my dads body shop and I made some cash and I'm ready to spend the cash on this project again.
So I have the front axle near done. I just have to make the upper link mount. There is only one aftermarket one I'v found that would work and its the New Era Models one, but I don't wanna wait that long for it to come in. So I'm gonna be building it myself instead.
The plan for the truck now is to have 2 separate ESC, one per axle, 4 wheel independant steering, and to operate all this stuff I'm gonna be buying a Spectrum DX6i.
As far as motors go I have a 55t from my WK hooked up in the front axle. I tested it with a battery and I don't like it, so I'm gonna be buying 2 75t motors instead.
As far as mounting my steering servos I found that the stock servo holders off the clod work perfect so I'm gonna be using them for now, I will fab something up later.
I dumped the original black plastic suspension arms too. I'm now putting in a 4 link setup.
Right now I got the front axle hooked up to my WK electronics to test it out and I got a plastic Hitec servo package to put my electronics in. I will be getting another one for my second ESC and to make it so it isn't really crowded.
I got my new rims and tires all mounted up too and they are on the truck
I will put up some pics tomorrow to show what I have done.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

2nd pic is blury and 5th pic is dark

Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

any comments??????
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Talking

nice what you shooting for tuber or stick nice tires are you going to keep the body ? i see your running a 3 ch radio are gonna have dig ? keep up the good work !
77chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Initially the truck was going to be a tuber and I have the chassis started but I could wind up changing my mind on the final chassis.

Personally I don't like the stick, I want something that is atleast half realistic looking.

I plan on keeping the Hummer body but I will still have like 6 more for it.. If u guys want I can take a pic of all the different bodys I have for the truck, that I will be using from time to time.

For my remote I'm going to be buying a Spectrum DX6i....The 3ch remote was just to test my servo and my motor, but it wont being staying that way. I want the DX6i cause I want to run the steering and motors seperately so I will need atleast 4 channels and the DX6i has quite a few mixers on it so it would be perfect. Plus I might throw in a winch for looks and stuff like that.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Update I locked half of one of my diffs tonight but I ran outta JB weld so I have to wait till Monday before I can finish it I will update on Monday
Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Lookin good. Keep building up and playing with it as you build. If you get some play time on it or flex it out you'll start to see where improvements will be needed and then upgrade from there. The first thing i see you improving is the arms Get some rod ends from towerhobbies or venders here and head over to your hardware store and get all thread and tubing to fab up some links. It's real easy and worth it over the stock clod arms. Keep us updated.

To help with the pictures, take a lamp and put it right next to the rig and turn it on. Then take a picture. Plenty of light and no need for flash.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

ok another update that I just realized I should do to eliminate cutting off screw holes on my axles

by doing this the servo will be lower I will be able to use better upper link mounts without it rubbing