Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: JP Knuckles & Wheel Questions for the Clod Guys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default JP Knuckles & Wheel Questions for the Clod Guys...

So I'm working on a wheel/axle/etc combo for my Super Hustler build, and I seem to have run into a road block.

So far, I have:

-TTR CVD's
-JP Customs Knuckles
-Axial Narrow Rims (17mm hex)

I'm wanting to run sub-c cell knuckle packs, but can't seem to find a wheel adapter that will give proper clearance. I picked up a set of Integy 17 mm adapters (16mm offset), but they don't seem long enough (and on top of that, I can't seem to figure out how to keep the pin in on them).

Is anyone running a set-up like this that can offer some advice?
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nope. But I hope it works for you cause I have the same set up and want to do the same thing.
redrustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

you need the wider integy adapters. They make some that are like 1" wider on each side which will allow you to run them.
nosduj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

how are you finding that set up?
im going to be running the same set up (just need the rims).
you need a rubber ring to keep the pin in the hex.
they should have came with rubber rings when you got them.
if not, try some elastic bands.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosduj View Post
you need the wider integy adapters. They make some that are like 1" wider on each side which will allow you to run them.
Do you have a link to these?

I looked at the Integy stuff pretty closely, and the widest 17mm adapter for CVD's I found was this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTAZ5&P=SM
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway View Post
how are you finding that set up?
So far I can't get it to work..........so I guess that means I hate it! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway View Post
you need a rubber ring to keep the pin in the hex. they should have came with rubber rings when you got them. if not, try some elastic bands.
That's kinda what I figured, but I think Integy dropped the ball on the design here. Look at the pic in the link I posted in my previous post..........there is no grove for an elastic/o-ring to fit into, and it's a LOOSE fit when you put the pin in.

I'm pretty sure I just wasted $25.....................

Frick..............

Ideas? Anyone?

I really don't want to have to buy Proline rims and new 23mm adapters just to run under-the-knuckle packs...................
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a drill press and or a dremel..... All you need is a small groove to hold an O-Ring over the pin. Place a small dremel grinding bit in a drill press and then set the table to line up with the center of the pin whole in the adapters. All you need to do is spin the adapter around 360 degrees an the bit will make the groove. You will likely have to turn it a few times to get a deep enough groove, but then it only needs to be deep enough to hold the O-Ring in place. If you don't have a press, you can clamp the adapter in a vise and free hand it with a dremel. Hope this helps/makes any sense.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
Do you have a drill press and or a dremel..... All you need is a small groove to hold an O-Ring over the pin. Place a small dremel grinding bit in a drill press and then set the table to line up with the center of the pin whole in the adapters. All you need to do is spin the adapter around 360 degrees an the bit will make the groove. You will likely have to turn it a few times to get a deep enough groove, but then it only needs to be deep enough to hold the O-Ring in place. If you don't have a press, you can clamp the adapter in a vise and free hand it with a dremel. Hope this helps/makes any sense.
Thanks.

I appreciate the advice, but the thread is actually about finding an adapter that will let me use the JP knuckles and battery packs..........the Integy adapters are just too short.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, got it after re-reading the first post.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

you need the OFNA 30059 wheel adapters, they are 30mm, or just over 1.1" wider per side. They are 17mm and will fit onto the cvd's outer 8mm shaft. I have been running these for some time with success, however it is very wide, but with the narrowed axials you might be alright. Here is a link to a set on ebay
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosduj View Post
you need the OFNA 30059 wheel adapters, they are 30mm, or just over 1.1" wider per side. They are 17mm and will fit onto the cvd's outer 8mm shaft. I have been running these for some time with success, however it is very wide, but with the narrowed axials you might be alright.
Hmmmm............those would work, but you're right, they are pretty wide.

nosduj, do you have a width measurement of your rig that you could post? What rims & tires are you running?

If I can't find something soon, I might just have to suck it up and try using Proline rims instead, and pony up for a set of 23mm adapters. Of course, then my search will be starting all over again...........lol
Old 01-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Hey, I'm just wondering how far are you from the "metal super store"? It's down in south calgary I cant remember the address off the top of my head, but if you bought a section (some thing like 12" I would chip in for half) I could mill some adaptors up for you, I have the lathe and expertice to do such things and it shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

I'm just putting that offer out there for you as it might be easyer to do that than to find the right part.

Pm me and let me know.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanx for the offer Brant, but I think I've decided to switch to a 23mm hub and proline rims. It's not what I was originally aiming for, but I think it'll work out better for me in the end.

Anyone have any advice on 23mm adapters for CVD's?

I was thinking maybe one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUD7&P=7

or

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKGN6&P=7
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Look around The Crawler Store , RCP ,RC4WD.
I'm running JP knuks , 1" wideners , Bender adapters , and Axle wheels .
I'm in the process of changing over to TTR CVDs , and I'll be dropping back to 3/4 inch wideners . Should have plenty of room for the batteries .
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

How close where the batteries with Team Integy 17mm Hubs 16mm Offset and Axial wheels.

These adaptershttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTAZ5&P=7

I was about to order some but if they don't work, I'll save myself $20
Johnson420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson420 View Post
How close where the batteries with Team Integy 17mm Hubs 16mm Offset and Axial wheels.

These adaptershttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTAZ5&P=7

I was about to order some but if they don't work, I'll save myself $20
Those are the ones I tried. They are still about 3mm too short of clearing the cells.

:(
Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIBEGuy View Post
I picked up a set of Integy 17 mm adapters (16mm offset), but they don't seem long enough (and on top of that, I can't seem to figure out how to keep the pin in on them).

Is anyone running a set-up like this that can offer some advice?
I think you can use a set screw inside the CVD to hold the pin in. That is if I am talking about the right thing here.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
I think you can use a set screw inside the CVD to hold the pin in. That is if I am talking about the right thing here.
This is correct, they have a set screw that holds the pin in. BTW, does anyone know what size the Pins are that come with the CVDs? I need some spares.