Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: stock clodbuster motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default stock clodbuster motors

Need a little newbie advice, I just got my tuber together and was trying it out with the stock motors (motors 540SH way old ones) before i bought a set of 55t's, it only seems to run for a few minutes before making the battery go dead after a full charge ( battery epic 3000) i've also tried a venum 3600 with the same outcome, Is this because of the old motors eating up the power or? The esc is a new XL1. Would new 55t motors fix this. It also seems to bet a bad case of the clitches some what like radio interferance just before the battery goes down (radio - futaba magnum sport) any advice would be helpful thanks in advance.
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

The spinning motors create interference with the radio. the best way to solve this is to route the power lines as far from the reciever as possible. also, the stock motors will drain the power faster than 55t's. I run 65's, and on 8 cells I get anywhere from 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 mins. be easy with you trigger finger also. I have found that by applying the power smoother, rather than faster, I get better run time. Are you running a seperate battery for you servos? that might also help with the run time
mavicracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks, I just bought some 45's and i'm going to wire them in series tonight, the 9T pinions havent come in yet so ill runthe stock ones for now. I'll try moving the rec far away from the ESC and install the diods on the new motors. How can i run my servos on a seperate batt?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
.......I'll try moving the rec far away from the ESC and install the diods on the new motors. How can i run my servos on a seperate batt?
DON'T install the diodes on Motor if you using Reversible ESC. Something will smoke ! ...use capacitors to reduce glitching
2Slo2Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Try installing the 55t's. These will increase your runtime alot. Also make sure your annenta is mounted away from everything and not touching anything. Try that and see what happens.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slo2Curious View Post
DON'T install the diodes on Motor if you using Reversible ESC. Something will smoke ! ...use capacitors to reduce glitching
Thanks 2slo, i meant to say caps....I picked up the 45t and installed them last night, Moved the rec and esc around and got alot better results. the new motors slowed the crawler way down witch is what i was wanting and my run times went up and the glitching went away.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #7

Default if you're new to electric motors

take one of your new lathe motors apart. they're not terribly complicated little things.
first- the brushes in the endbell are held in with springs. the spring pressure can be adjusted if you have problems. i'll just leave it at that for now.
second- the brushes pass power to the armature where they touch it. that part is the commutator, and it basically turns dc into ac so that the electromagnet can push and pull <alternately> on the magnets pressed into the outside of the can.
third- the wire wrapped around the armature (in your case, 45T) is wrapped in the same direction on all the segments (like if you're looking at the side of the armature they would all be wrapped clockwise usually). the reason i bring that up is if you search for winding instructions from JRH (the owner of Holmes Hobbies), you can rewind your motors with a cheap roll of magnet wire from radio shack to suit your needs rather than buying more cans just to find out if you like 55T or 65T or 100T. i've done this with what was a 19T 550 out of an EMAXX and successfully turned it into a 45T that is smooth as butter on the low end but a little quicker than the typical 55T. hand-winding your own will give you lots of options.
32inchTSLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks, I like that idea, it sounds like a great way to customize your motor, kinda like building a stroker motor.......
Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #9

all u can do is try it
Blingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thats the fun of it all i guess is trying new things...lol, I finally dug out my old futaba 6 channel and hooked it up so i can have independent steering...its awsome...lol I little hard to get used to but i think it will be worth it..