Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clod dig setup DX3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clod dig setup DX3

I figured out a way to have rear dig on a Clod based crawler using 2 ESC's and a DX3 radio. I don't know if any of you have already done this or not, but it is new to me.

One of my buddies came in the LHS today and wanted me to setup his new Clod Mod computer on his 2.2 Clod truck. After getting frustrated with that, I talked him into just running the truck like normal. I didn't have a Y harness at the time so I just pluged the ESC's into channel 2 and 3 and mixed them so the throttle trigger would control both equally. Then I accidently hit the 3rd channel switch and one of the axles went WOT while the other one was at full brake.

That sparked an idea. You have to run the front ESC on channel 3 and the rear ESC on channel 2 to make this work. Make sure to turn your drag brake all the way up because that is what will be keeping the rear axle from moving. Mix them to 100% on the radio. Now the throttle trigger will control both ESC's equally (the same as just running one ESC) and when you hit the 3rd channel switch one direction while the throttle trigger is at neutral, the front axle will spin foward and hitting the switch the other direction will spin the front axle in reverse.

I didn't know you could do this, but it works awesome. I am very pleased with the results. I will try to get a vid up soon. Lemme know what you guys think about it.

Last edited by f150dan; 02-27-2008 at 10:43 AM.
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That is counted as a reverse.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yep, that would be a reverse penalty once the rear tires move in reverse.

If you're only running front wheel steer, you can use a second servo that hits a micro switch to "lock" the rear motor and power only the front-giving it dig. You'd have to wire the rear motor so that when the switch is triggered it sends positive to both sides of the rear motor, but when not activated it sends power to both motors. I'd post the diagram I made, but I'm at work right now and it's on my home computer. I did test this last year with much success.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The rear tires aren't rolling in reverse. They are locked down just like my Axial with a R2D. The only tires spinning are the front tires and they will spin either direction depending on which way you push the switch. It's not a reverse penalty. It works the exact same way as anybody else's dig setup except for you don't need anything extra to use it. All you need is another ESC and a 3 channel radio with the mixing feature.

Last edited by f150dan; 02-25-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The only thing about it is that you don't have proportional throttle when controling the front axle off the 3rd channel switch. It's either WOT or nothing. But that's ok when trying to do a dig because that's usually what you do anyway.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's still a reverse if the tires spin in the backward direction...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150dan View Post
I figured out a way to have rear dig on a Clod based crawler using 2 ESC's and a DX3 radio. I don't know if any of you have already done this or not, but it is new to me.

One of my buddies came in the LHS today and wanted me to setup his new Clod Mod computer on his 2.2 Clod truck. After getting frustrated with that, I talked him into just running the truck like normal. I didn't have a Y harness at the time so I just pluged the ESC's into channel 2 and 3 and mixed them so the throttle trigger would control both equally. Then I accidently hit the 3rd channel switch and one of the axles went WOT while the other one was at full brake.

That sparked an idea. You have to run the front ESC on channel 3 and the rear ESC on channel 2 to make this work. Make sure to turn your drag brake all the way up because that is what will be keeping the rear axle from moving. Mix them to 100% on the radio. Now the throttle trigger will control both ESC's equally (the same as just running one ESC) and when you hit the 3rd channel switch one direction while the throttle trigger is at neutral, the front axle will spin foward and hitting the switch the other direction will spin the front axle in reverse.

I didn't know you could do this, but it works awesome. I am very pleased with the results. I will try to get a vid up soon. Lemme know what you guys think about it.
i think i get it but im confused on the setup where the throttle trigger will control both channel 2 and 3 at the same time.. can you elaborate? sounds pretty cool though and easy to setup!

and for those of you who cannot read.. the rear axle does not rotate at all.. no reverse points added. Brake is turned up to sinple hold the rear axle during the dig. this allows you to preform the dig rather then just driving around at wide open throttle in front wheel drive.

diagram please
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
and for those of you who cannot read.. the rear axle does not rotate at all.. no reverse points added.
Maybe it is you who cannot read.
http://www.usrcca.com/rules2008.pdf
First page, Section 1.2, Second sentence. That will give you the definition of "reverse"...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #9