Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: the newish five link clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default the newish five link clod

its a spinoff of the missinglink / 7 link/ WTF that 4rnrRick built. i got rid of the chassis altogether and added shocks. its not done, it needs another shock, and it needs a good paint job. it could be adapted to a stickish design, but as it stands it is not a stick nor is it meant to be mistaken for one. it does use the same articulation mechanics though.

the top two links are made of brake line brazed together at the center. the lower link mounts are smaller brake line brazed onto the backbone. the shock towers are basically clamped onto the backbone.

the articulation amount can be changed by remounting the shocks on the tower. further in produces more articulation. further out produces less. all shocks are in 1/2" compression when the axles are level. upon articulation the opposing shock extends and the adjoining shock compresses. the tunability is wonderful and the spring rate rises upon articulation. at all times all four shocks influence articulation.
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 06-17-2005 at 07:29 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Its no TCS chassis but it is a stick...no doubt about it.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Its a little different than a stick. But, I'd be afraid of putting any weight in the center... like a speed controller. It looks like its about to collapse in the center just because of the flash from the camera.

So, the question is... is it strong?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

For a chassis with no virtical travel like yours and mine and many others two shocks are plenty unless you think four is more pleasing to the eye...fourth shock who needs the third or fouth.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

That looks kick ***, is it/you going to be at capin park on sunday?
95MoYj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 PM   #6

yeah, ill be there.

its brake tubing, so its strong as crap. much stronger than any stick i have built (but i dont claim to be an expert on those). if i made a small roll cage and beefed up the lower link mounts it would be solid, but i rolled it a lot last weekend and came out shining. i didnt have the dampening system attached so it was really floppy and roll happy.

edit: i purposly bowed the backbone that way to allow the lower links to attach right. they hit my axle braces at the ballend and prevent any sharper of an up angle. i have hollow arrow links so i cant bend them up. its a pretty light rig with a 14.75 inch WB and narrow tracking, so the durability shouldnt be an issue yet.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 06-17-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thats cool man, I just might have to copy it for my next chassis build!
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
RCC Addict

hows it crawl?
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #9

these pics are a little more elegant. finished the shocks. its really smooth articulating. smoother than any other rig i have felt. as i mentioned before its a fully rising rate suspention, so it is very stable. so far, it crawls better than any other clod design i have had. tommorow i will get it out on the rocks and see if she really shines.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Thats cool man, I just might have to copy it for my next chassis build!
if you need any larger or different pics, just pm me. this design would work just as well for a shafty too. im gonna get a mig welder after i finish up a few more of my older projects and start making more tube chassis'. the brazing was not as easy as i thought it would be. the hardest part was jigging the metal up.

i have a really good idea for my next one. i will make the pivot points like little BMX dropouts, so that the WB can be changed with a few bolts. i need to find some predrilled sheedmetal for the lower links... im horrible with drilling holes in perfect lines.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Dropouts!

Now your talkin. That is a great idea. I had a couple of chassis that could adjust with the turn of two screws(Fat ti for one) and I think with the way comps are going adjustable WB is going to be key to set up for each different event/course.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 PM   #12

its nice to be able to adjust the wb on command.

i was just sitting in my shop when i was brainstorming for this chassis, and i have about 10 bikes. it was right in front of me so it didnt take any thought. the only reason that i didnt make it adjustable is that i dont have a way to cut steel into shapes, and brazing on a dropout is hella hard because of the length. i hear there is a place in town with a waterjet, but i bet its hella $$. maybe i can get a finer blade for the scroll saw or band saw...

the only problem i can see with the dropouts is that a hard crash could mess with the "pinion angle". if the clamping area was knurled, it would grip better. wheels are turning again.