Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: ESC for Clod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ESC for Clod?

I just picked up a new clod based crawler and am wondering what ESC to buy...going to run 2 55 turn motors... need help here! have no idea what to get.

What suggestions do you have for a "cheap esc" and a "expensive esc"? Also do I have to run two esc's or just one? and do I have to run two batteries or just one???

also any suggestions on motors would be great too!!

THanks!
jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I use the rooster crawler, about $100.00 best to buy a good one the first time around. You can run 1 or 2 depending if you want to have independant front and rear motor control and one battery is fine I get at least 45 min. plus run time I have a 3600 and a 4200 mili amp batteey set up that I split 3 up front and 3 on the back , just look around and do a few searches the info is all over the place. Good luck
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

You can find a Novak Super Rooster on Ebay for pretty cheap and it works well with both motors. On the "high-end" side you can get the Mamba Max controller. Both will run the 55t motors in parallel off of one battery. If you plan on running 2 ESC's then you'll need 2 batteries, one for each speed control. Another benefit of the Mamba Max is that it will run a brushless motor if you decide to go down that road in the future.
jdmstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

running the motors in parallel? is that + from esc to front motor then + to rear motor and - the same way?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmstuff View Post
If you plan on running 2 ESC's then you'll need 2 batteries, one for each speed control.
That is not true. Most people running competition clod supers run single batteries and dual esc's. I use dual mamba max's with a single 3S Lipo controlled by a DX6 on my pimp cane super.

I also run a single Mamba Max with a single 3S lipo on my 2.2 pimp cane clod.

Both clods have 65 turn motors. I would recommend Axiom brand motors.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmotox View Post
running the motors in parallel? is that + from esc to front motor then + to rear motor and - the same way?
Yep...but you will have to run the rear motor in reverse, so + from ESC to + on front motor, then run that wire to - on the rear motor. The - from the ESC goes to the - from the front motor and then to the + on the rear motor.
jdmstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

how are the Traxxas/Novak EVX speed controls?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Powered by Awesome

i run the Novak Super Duty XR, split the + and - to both motors... gives ya more torque and that thing never ran hot.. heck.. not even warm to the touch after hours of wheelin!
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm running a Tekin Rebel 2, on two 55 turns, running either a 6 cell stick, or 10 cell custom pack.. I have no issues so far.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

I really like the Novak Rooster Crawler in a Clod. The BEC is good enough to drive 2 servos and it is very smooth. I run a JR Z9000T in the front and a Hitec 645 in the rear.
Of course the Mamba Maxx works great and is super smooth and adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmotox
Clod FAQ and Directory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmotox
how are the Traxxas/Novak EVX speed controls??
The Traxxas is not very good, it has a terrible BEC.
The Super Duty is better.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I picked up the Moped and am running it in my pimp cane super with a receiver pack, duel steering and 55T motors.

I don't compete, but it runs great for me and can't beat the $30 price.
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I seen a post awhile back that someone was selling moped's for like 30 bucks. could run two at that price. Although i'm not sure on what type of radio you would need to run dual esc's.
PONYBOY87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Moped??? esc?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

These: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58265
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Are you running a Super Clod or a 2.2 Clod? I only ask for reference to whether we are also talking about rear steer or not. If we are talking a Super with rear steer, remember we are talking, at least, a four channel RX system which is an additional cost (and a big one if you like pistol grip radios).

Many will disagree with me, but I just don't see the need to run dual ESCs (independent front/rear throttle), unless you are running at the top end of the competition level..............and are willing to put time into LOTS of practice of properly operating independent controls. In my situation, I am simply too stupid to concentrate on dual throttle control, while trying to find/drive a proper line at the same time. For me, a simple DIG switch while running a single ESC gives me all front/rear motor control I need with my driving ability. With experience, I would probably like independent control, especially on high angle inclines, but for an average crawler, dynamic brake DIG seems like a more logical setup IMO. And I would rather spend $75 on a Sidewinder rather than $60 on two Mopeds any and every day of the week.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #16

My current setup has been running GREAT. I have the novak superduty speed control, 2 axiom 65t motors and an e-flite 2100 mah 2s lithium pack. The wheel speed is awesome with this combo and it REALLY comes it handy , you can't go wrong with the super duty man !

-mirra
Mirramaxx is offline   Reply With Quote