Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Comp Clod for 2008

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 2.2 Comp Clod for 2008

Well I'm changing a few things (more then a few) for the 2008 season.

Goals.. Lighter, More WheelSpeed, Narrower track Width, and etc...

Plans are to go back to One ECS and do a D.U.D. set up with a brake. i want to be able kill the rear motor and have the choice to brake it or not use a brake.

I"m changing the 2.2 Pimp Cane to a new improved design with a little more flex thats adjustable. This will be teh first of it's kind and a prototype. If all goes well I'll start producing these.

My old set up was: Stage One

Old set up: Stage Two

An Early look at whats to come...

More coming later today...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looking good man!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The only downside to Clods IMO is that in order to compete well with the shaftys is that there are a couple hundred worth of up front purchases right off the bat. Namely the R2J small C axle tubes and knuckles and Mayhem 14mm 0 Offset beadlocks. On the other hand, most people would buy those anyway.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerguy851 View Post
The only downside to Clods IMO is that in order to compete well with the shaftys is that there are a couple hundred worth of up front purchases right off the bat. Namely the R2J small C axle tubes and knuckles and Mayhem 14mm 0 Offset beadlocks. On the other hand, most people would buy those anyway.
The Alumn knuckles and tubes for a 2.2 Clod don't cost anymore then Alumn knuckles, C's, and Link Mounts for a Shafty. Alumn beadlocks cost the same.

I've laid this out before. It doesn't cost anymore to build a 2.2 Clod then a Shafty. The only thing is now with th Ax-10 kits. Shaftys are just easier now. Didn't used to be like that. For once you have to think a little more to build a 2.2 clod then an Ax-10...lol
Old 03-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Is it later today yet?

Common R2J, I alway love seeing what you come up with for the 2.2 clods. I love my 2.2 pimp cane clod. It is the most fun comp crawler I have ever owned.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I know that it doesn't cost more, but it requires you buy them soon otherwise you aren't going to get the same level of perfomance. An Axial with stock Cs and Knuckles and weighted beadlocks is going to perform nearly the same as one with Aluminum Cs and knuckles and Mayhem Beadlocks, if a bit weaker. But a 2.2 Clod with the stock parts and some lesser rims isn't going to be at nearly the level of the one with your small Cs and the Mayhem 0 offset beadlocks. Up front purchases are more.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Keeping my eye on this one...

Hurry up Jarod!!!!!
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Keeping my eye on this one...

Hurry up Jarod!!!!!
Ya take a chill pill.

I'm waiting on a new Secert part for the 2.2 Pimp Cane. I hope it works out or I just wasted some dough As soon as it comes in I'll start tearing it all down and show whats going on. If my GC-1 Roller doesn't sell I'm snagging one of MM of this and installing in it and will finsh it.

The Plan is to run a DUD set up and run a 3rd servo with a rod to brake the rear tires. I'll still be running the Dx6. I've got pretty used to it. This way I can kill the rear motor for climbing ledges and then use the brake with it for stronger Digs. With my old set up I would just rev. the rar motor just enough to hold while digging. Which was way to hard to get used to and some times I ended up rotating the rear tires which is a rev and caused me points. Plus this saves me from buying another ESC..

The new chassis should allow more flex while keeping the backbone undrilled or very close to it. Which in return will bakc it much stronger. I've also put it on a diet and lost about 2.5lbs from the last set up. between the heavy tires and those Alumn gear cases.. One thing thou about those heavy Jordans was they worked Very Very well. Those are going on a 14in'er thats in the works as well.

I painted up a Pro-Line Rock Star body for this and planned on using it. But I mounted it on the GC-1 and it looked freakin sweet on there. So now I'm back to thinking of what body to run. I'm looking at this. Something different..

Spec's:
Length: 13.5" (345.6mm)
Width: 7" (179.2mm)
Height: 5" (128mm)
Thickness: .040" (1mm)

Last edited by run2jeepn; 03-14-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Will there be an upgrade available for the OG PC's... ???
Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Will there be an upgrade available for the OG PC's... ???
Not sure yet if it will be somthing that will be bolt on or easy to upgrade with out buying a new kit.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Not sure yet if it will be somthing that will be bolt on or easy to upgrade with out buying a new kit.
J/K
Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

It'll never work!

Good luck Jarod, can't wait to see it.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, those wheels are nice and narrow. Sucks that 2.2 clods aren't allowed in comps around here!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
RCC Addict

"Narrower track Width"....cant wait to see what you do to shrink it down some more!
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerguy851 View Post
I know that it doesn't cost more, but it requires you buy them soon otherwise you aren't going to get the same level of perfomance. An Axial with stock Cs and Knuckles and weighted beadlocks is going to perform nearly the same as one with Aluminum Cs and knuckles and Mayhem Beadlocks, if a bit weaker. But a 2.2 Clod with the stock parts and some lesser rims isn't going to be at nearly the level of the one with your small Cs and the Mayhem 0 offset beadlocks. Up front purchases are more.

LMFAO....I guess I better throw away all my stock crap then on my clod since it will not be at a performance level at all..

BTW- have you seen the truck at the end of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZD3XIVlm0c

Looks like it is on a good performance level to me and that is not even my comp truck, which uses stock parts also.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
LMFAO....I guess I better throw away all my stock crap then on my clod since it will not be at a performance level at all..

BTW- have you seen the truck at the end of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZD3XIVlm0c

Looks like it is on a good performance level to me and that is not even my comp truck, which uses stock parts also.
Man that clod sucked!! It turned over and everything!!! More $$$$ would make it drive better.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M715ForLife View Post
Still using the maxx mashers?
Looks like he has Badlands to me.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Man that clod sucked!! It turned over and everything!!! More $$$$ would make it drive better.
$$$ would help the vehicle, but sure wouldn't help the driver
Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If you added all the aluminum the weight would have been low and you would not have flipped...come on TC...are you a noobie or what...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #20
Colt Python/SR9c

Yep, that's my first truck

OK Back to tech guys..............

Jared, on your brake, will you just be doing the simple rod through the wheel?