Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Articulation Question ... More degrees of it on one side?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Articulation Question ... More degrees of it on one side?

Is this normal? I'm getting more articulation one way than the other its noticeable by 1 inch ...and overall whats the best way to cut down on it in general?
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Something is binding on one side. You need to figure out what is wrong.

What is the setup here? Pimp Cane or link suspension? If it is the latter, then make sure that your rod ends are centered in the mount and also that your shocks are not getting hung up (externally or internally).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Something is binding on one side. You need to figure out what is wrong.

What is the setup here? Pimp Cane or link suspension? If it is the latter, then make sure that your rod ends are centered in the mount and also that your shocks are not getting hung up (externally or internally).
Its a link setup Super a bit on the long side...just got new shocks and rest of the build parts
was looking at that and it looks like for some reason one of the top links comes in contact with the chassis slightly when going to the right ...but wouldn't an overall fix be cutting down on articulation in general ?
I have no idea on how you mean to center the rod ends...

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

you have to make sure your axles are centred between your links,your axles are square.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
you have to make sure your axles are centred between your links,your axles are square.
WT>
Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Some folks limit the compression of the shock by placing nitro fuel tubing around the piston of the shock.

What I meant by make sure the rod ends were centered is like this:
centered

not centered (slightly)

If they are off center, then they can possibly be contacting the mount and causing your troubles.

You mentioned that you just got new shocks....did you have this problem with another pair of shocks before...or is this a new build?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Heavy6Metal6 View Post
WT>
I think he means WRT to the chassis. Make sure that your axle is perpendicular to the chassis plates.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yes the shocks are brand new ,just put them on today its my first build so I guess I gotta go through some trial and error ... Rods are in line everything seems symmetrical and properly measured ...the wheel base is pretty long at 21 inch...I want to go for a really monstrous look its wearing a 1/8 scale Silverado Parma body and I love the look its huge!...I hope I can maybe fix the over articulation by changing either shock position or tension rather than cutting down on the wheel base...but that wont cut over articulation anyway I guess (I mean shortening the Wheelbase)

Old 03-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #9

the easiest way to see if the axles are square is to measure from front axle to rear axle of the same side, if the two measurements are not the same, one side is going to flex more than the other
JeLeAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

To my naked eyeball, the steering linkage hole in the Clod chassis that gets used for top center link attachment has always seemed a bit off center, like it's about a quarter inch to the right (as you are looking from the back of the rig at the front gearbox). My rig comes out a little bit slanted as a result of this, but I've got enough of my own fab skill issues that can't say for sure it isn't me causing the problem.
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeLeAk View Post
the easiest way to see if the axles are square is to measure from front axle to rear axle of the same side, if the two measurements are not the same, one side is going to flex more than the other
thanks for explaining how to do it !
yes one side is off by 7mm...why is this?
what should I do to fix it?
Thanks guys you are all very helpful !
Old 03-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Heavy6Metal6 View Post
yes one side is off by 7mm...why is this?
Your lower links are probably not the same length.

Adjust them until both sides are equal. Also, don't forget to make sure the axles are square with respect to the chassis. You can have the same WB side to side and still have the axles at a non right angle when compared to the chassis.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Your lower links are probably not the same length.

Adjust them until both sides are equal. Also, don't forget to make sure the axles are square with respect to the chassis. You can have the same WB side to side and still have the axles at a non right angle when compared to the chassis.
Thanks man I will be onto it tomorrow !
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
. Also, don't forget to make sure the axles are square with respect to the chassis.

to measure that, your gona need a square(the kind used in construction) and a ruler long enough to go from axle to axle(front to back)

place the ruler at the end of the axles evenly(this is important that the two ends are placed exactly the same or pretty dang close)

secondly get your square, and measure from the front of the chassis to the ruler and then the other side... then repeat for the rear the two sets of numbers again should be the same
JeLeAk is offline   Reply With Quote