Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: First Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

Default First Build

I have a T-max and have seen guys at the local rc shop with their custom built rockcrawlers and always thought they looked like big fun to build and drive. I have always had 4x4 vehicles and built my first serious 1:1 a few years ago and am going to build me a clod based crawler to with me when I go out in my 1:1 to play around at night when camping or on day trips when there is a break in 1:1 action. I try to make it down to Moab a couple times a year and would take with me there for sure.

I have done a lot of reading and searching and I am going to build a hustler with clod axles. I've done the numbers and since I am starting from scratch it seems like it would cost about the same to buy stock axles and build them as it would be to buy aftermarket assemblies, so I am going to use raptor axles. As for motor and esc I am thinking a holmes hobbies 3014 (mainly for its size, that way if I decide to run a gear reducer the extra length won't be an issue) and either a sidewinder or a mamba max. Once I get to that point I will think seriously about servos and a radio.

I have read a lot of the builds here and have a pretty good idea how I want to put it together but any sugestions would be helpful and appreciated. Is a controller like the dx6 difficult to use or would it be just a matter of getting used to? For this motor they recomend 6-12 batteries. Is that per motor or for both? Is the mamba max worth the extra money over the sidewinder? I haven't bought anything yet but when I do and start putting it together I will definitely post some pics as it develops.

Thanks in advance for the tips.
Sidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default .

well r u going for a 2.2 or a super?
hustlercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Jack the clod up and throw a 2.2 shafty under it
J/K Good luck on the build, wish I could give you some good advise but I will stick to my 2.2 shafty. There are a lot of good threads under the clod section to help you out.
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote