Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: BMI Hobbies Crawler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #1

Talking BMI Hobbies Crawler Build

BMI's FIRST crawler build! Since I know little to nothing about these guys I am nervous and stoked at the same time!!! Here's what we got! Feel free to throw in any suggestions or advise you may have! I need all I can get! As it stands it looks like the shocks are shot (leaking oil) and we will be replacing the tires with some moabs we got. The main thing is since she will be the stores demo I really wanna make her as bad as I can, in other words when a guy (or girl) walks in that has been building these things for years I want that person to see her and be like WOW!!!!!

DeSiRe@BMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

might want to limit that articulation...but what do I know?
diesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

imo, that much articulation will get you into more trouble than its worth. I'd throw some limiters on those shocks to bring down the articulation, but I cannot tell you how much, that is something you will have to discover on your own. every rig is unique, and every driver is unique.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

when i first started crawlin i thought the more articulation was a good thing, little did i know. Yeah i would limit the flex some, looks good by the way keep the build pics coming.
PONYBOY87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

If you want crawler people to be wowed at the sight of it, I wouldn't use the Gecko.

I'd go with a Carbon Fibre NN chassis from www.tcscrawlers.com, narrowed Axial beadlocks, and Moab XL tyres, just to start you off.

Good luck mate.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looking good so far!

I knew you guys would start building them. When I lived up there and would drop by the store scavenging for random parts, yall were always interested in what I had built...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Looking good so far!

I knew you guys would start building them. When I lived up there and would drop by the store scavenging for random parts, yall were always interested in what I had built...
Some one who knows of us! Thats cool! Yeah it's kinda a new thing for us! I am falling in love with crawlers fast and have been begging Jessie to get into this part of the hobby! So here we go!

Thanks guys for all of the feed back, I thought the more articulation the better so it's good to know!

I have a set of XL Moabs to throw on her so I guess I am off to a good start there

I will post pics as I go through it! Today is cleaning day and thats what I am about to get started doing! After that is the tires and shocks! I am still researching parts

In the mean time trying to collect parts for my crawler too! :-P
Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #8

Nice looking start DeSire, glad to see the crawling bug has bitten you also. Looking forward to see what you guys come up with!
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Nice looking start DeSire, glad to see the crawling bug has bitten you also. Looking forward to see what you guys come up with!

Thanks Chaos! I am falling head over heels!!! Here she is in pieces!

WELCOME to my living room LOL

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva View Post
If you want crawler people to be wowed at the sight of it, I wouldn't use the Gecko.

I'd go with a Carbon Fibre NN chassis from www.tcscrawlers.com, narrowed Axial beadlocks, and Moab XL tyres, just to start you off.

Good luck mate.
Good advice ^
And welcome to RCC!!

Are the axles locked already?
Anywhere from 40-60 degrees is usually plenty good for articulation.
If it's going to be more then looked at? you're going to want some strong MG high torque servos. I would recommend HiTec 5955's @ 333 oz in, or the JR 8711's @403 oz in. Don't forget to weight your wheels.
If you want a truck with a "wow" factor, just do lots of reading here before you start. Make sure and add things like 4 wheel steering, and maybe a dezfan dig mod, check out the hub mounted batteries etc. IMO, those things will get more of a "wow" factor then aluminum axle tubes and such for the person who has been building them for years.
Now if you really want the "wow" factor? and your budget permits, a Carbon NN with duel Castle Sidewinders/Mamba Max's and a DX6/7 with independent control of each axles steering and throttle, would be the Bees knees

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 03-25-2008 at 12:24 AM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

To get yer articulation down on that chassis, take the shocks and move them out to the 2nd from the end hole on the lower links... IE farthest from the center... That'll bring down the articulation a fair bit... That's where I run the links on my Gecko II...

I HAD them in the middle and 2nd from the inside but I ended up with about as much as you have and in off-camber situations? Well, the upper wheel had a tendancy to pull the whole truck right over....
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Just curious as to what kinda electronics you will be putting into it?
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSiRe@BMI View Post
Some one who knows of us! Thats cool!
Yeah, some days of the week I used to work in McKinney and when I needed parts, I would go hit the "row" of hobby stores. Just make my way down the line until I found what I needed.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I told you guys this was up and coming. Glad to hear you are moving forward. The buzz on TXRCRCA is you are going to carry parts. We need to come buy and talk about Crawling and see the Clod. Keep up the good work.
Neil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #15

Hey Neil, yep thats right thats our next move and I am sooooo stoked! Talking to Jessie today he has ordered pretty much all needed the axial kit including hop ups and there is more coming!!!! The thing with Jess is he doesnt know much about Crawlers so is relying on the few of us in the shop that are into them to tell him what to get!

Electronics at this point are still being worked out. I checked out the HOW TO BUILD A CLOD thread and am taking it from there. Right now I am thinking about the Spectrum DX6i for radio, Hitec 985 servos, Novak Superduty reversible speed control, battery will be a 5000 and it looks like thats all I have at the moment. Any thougts guys?????

I gotta say I am finding a lot of useful info here MAJOR PROPS!!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

More pic's. How far are you along now. I really need to come buy and talk Crawling..
Neil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
imo, that much articulation will get you into more trouble than its worth. I'd throw some limiters on those shocks to bring down the articulation,
All i see are some big gassers. With no articulation. And some very RED Monster Pirate tires.

Last edited by Dumptruck; 04-05-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
RCC Addict

yep somethings wrong with the photos here I'm also seeing the gas buggy lol
WTH?
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote