Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Clod Axles + Axial 2.2 Beadlocks=?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clod Axles + Axial 2.2 Beadlocks=?

Will stock Clod axles with Axial 2.2 beadlocks come in at a comp legal width? I know that this is tire dependent, but my current 2.2 rims (HPI something or others which also fit the Wheely King) come in over 12.5 inches when mounted on my Clod (that's just the outside of the rims, no tires). If anyone's tried it, please let me know, Axial are one of the few locally available 2.2 beadlocks and I'd like to have a comp-legal Clod-based 2.2 rig.

Thanks in advance
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #2

Unfourtunately the only option for 2.2 Clod bead locks are custom ones made by vendors on the site. Mayhem engineering comes to mind, but there may be others. The reason for this is you need a narrow or zero offset to make this work.

Using any of the axial/tlt based bead-lock rims puts you in a non-comp legal width.
SteedaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaJeff View Post
Unfourtunately the only option for 2.2 Clod bead locks are custom ones made by vendors on the site. Mayhem engineering comes to mind, but there may be others. The reason for this is you need a narrow or zero offset to make this work.

Using any of the axial/tlt based bead-lock rims puts you in a non-comp legal width.

If you don't want to send the dough on Mayhems Beadlocks. You can always just used 2.2 Pede wheels and cut off the outer bead.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAV25 View Post
Will stock Clod axles with Axial 2.2 beadlocks come in at a comp legal width? I know that this is tire dependent, but my current 2.2 rims (HPI something or others which also fit the Wheely King) come in over 12.5 inches when mounted on my Clod (that's just the outside of the rims, no tires). If anyone's tried it, please let me know, Axial are one of the few locally available 2.2 beadlocks and I'd like to have a comp-legal Clod-based 2.2 rig.

Thanks in advance

These are Beadlocks on a 2.2 Clod with tire bulge I am at 11.5 inches. Outer ring to outer ring is actually 10.9375 inches.

They are being manufactured and sold by my company, Eritex Inc. PM me if you would like more details.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Tried it.

Works out about 13" wide from outside rim to outside rim when axial beadlocks are mounted to clod axles.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

go one better than stampede rims, get some Tamiya Dark Impact Rear wheels and cut the inner bead off. You'll get about 10.5"
Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post
go one better than stampede rims, get some Tamiya Dark Impact Rear wheels and cut the inner bead off. You'll get about 10.5"
That idea I like, there is Tamiya aplenty here....I'll take a look next time I get to the LHS....
Old 04-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #8

Was digging through some old race stuff and found Kyosho ZX5 rims for their newest 4wd buggy. They are 2.2 and use a 12mm hex front and rear, the really great part... they are a super deep offset , and thus this discovery has promted me to build a 2.2 clod stick. The ZX5 fronts come in a little narrower than a double narrowed stampede rim, and the rears can be narrowed from the outside if you dont want to go that skinny by using stock ZX5 fronts. When I get them mouted up completely I will post up a pics, but I mocked them up next to my Axial with Erickson beadlocks and badlands today and the clod axles w/ ZX5 fronts are barely wider w/ full width Mashers

Like I said, pics soon if im not too lazy
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The Kyosho sounds interesting too, I was looking at some Kyosho dish style rims (don't really care about looks too much) the other day, but the hexes were something like 11mm, the clod brass hexes just would not fit into the socket (not a problem with that central lip either, the hex was just too big for even a tight press fit). I'll definitely look into both the Kyosho and Tamiya options next trip to the LHS, I'm trying to stay away from importing Traxxas (or anything else not available locally) simply out of a desire to be able to get spares/replacements quickly when I need them.

Thanks to all again
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post

do you have a link to where they sell these?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Anyone that sell Tamiya should be able to get them in for you. I just got them ordered in at my LHS.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This is the width with some white ones I've got as well. Not sure what the white ones come off, but the Dark Impact ones are the same in black.

And in black on my old truck.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looks like the Dark Impact and the Keen Hawk according to this:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...art_id=0440210

I may have to look into those too, not sure if I could dye the white
ones yellow or if I'd just have to paint them, but they certainly look
viable from your pics Lincoln. Thanks for the scoop!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Would have to paint them as they are not nylon. They're just plastic and would melt with any real heat on them.

I've been running them for some time now and they have stood up very well. Very tough. Just be sure to keep the wheel nut tight or the hex might spin in them, which I've had a couple do.