Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Popping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Popping?

Has anyone else had the back diff on there clod pop and then continue popping but not turning the tires? Mine does it acts like it is skipping teeth or something so I took my diff apart but I noticed a break in front of one of the teeth on the tracgear. Could that be doing it? I took eerything apart and put it back together because I didnt think that that was the problem but it still does it. Any ideas?
bigsuzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

yuuuup you need to replace that gear....I have the same problem right now and i need to replace that same counter gear....
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

it could be a few things:

check the axle housing, maybe its cracked.. maybe under stress the torque of the gears pushing against each other is flexing the cracked housing and allowing the gear's teeth to separate and pop..

iif you're running bushings, maybe one or two are broken or worn, allowing too much movement. that will allow the gear's teeth to separate and pop.. if you're running bearings, maybe one or two of the cartridge bearings are chewed up and the inner race could be "floating" allowing the same movement as stated above.

the gear teeth are pretty large, and unless your gear's teeth are worn, chipped, or broken, it shouldn't be skipping from the gears alone unless you're putting down insane torque. but if you're going that far you'll breaking gears and axles too frequently anyways..

check the diff spider gears, check the driveshaft splines, check the motor mount, anything from the motor to the wheels could be the culprit. get in there columbo..

Last edited by wheelhaus; 07-13-2005 at 12:34 PM.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdsti
it could be a few things:

check the diff spider gears, check the driveshaft splines, check the motor mount, anything from the motor to the wheels clould be the culprit. get in there columbo..
what the hell,thats some funny shiat right there .First learn what you talking about before you try to help,feaken newbie
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i found the culprit
the tracgear had a huge section ripped out
that must be what I get for running 55t lathes with 9t with a 7:1 reduction with a 9t on it
it's like 245:1
bigsuzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsuzuki86
i found the culprit
the tracgear had a huge section ripped out
that must be what I get for running 55t lathes with 9t with a 7:1 reduction with a 9t on it
it's like 245:1
damn,i would think the axles would break before the trac gears shattered.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
what the hell,thats some funny shiat right there .First learn what you talking about before you try to help,feaken newbie

Rude idiot.
Chr!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

explain to me how what i said meant that i didn't know what i was talking about. maybe you shouldn't snap off at the mouth because it makes you sound like a childish idiot.

firstly: the diff spider gears could be stripped or broken. secondly, the driveshaft splines could be stripped. thirdly, if the motor mount was loose or a bolt hole wallowed out, it could be the pinion gear that is "popping". fourthly, any interface between any gear teeth or splines could go bad, wear out, break, and "pop", so it actually coule be anything from the motor to the wheels.

grow up.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdsti
explain to me how what i said meant that i didn't know what i was talking about. maybe you shouldn't snap off at the mouth because it makes you sound like a childish idiot.

firstly: the diff spider gears could be stripped or broken. secondly, the driveshaft splines could be stripped. thirdly, if the motor mount was loose or a bolt hole wallowed out, it could be the pinion gear that is "popping". fourthly, any interface between any gear teeth or splines could go bad, wear out, break, and "pop", so it actually coule be anything from the motor to the wheels.

grow up.
What i meant was with a trac gear there are know spider gears so it couldnt be that.also when you say drive shaft i think of a drive line going from the t case to the diff,which im sure you where thinking axle.I agree i was a but harsh and i opoligize for that.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

oh, lol ok i can see why you thought i was a moron

no i did forget that he was running a tracgear, so he obviously doesn't have any spiders... but driveshaft... i just meant the driveshaft from the diff to the wheel axle.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was runing Kongs along with a few other goodies when I broke and stripped my track gear..

bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote