Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Sheared Gears?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #1

Default Sheared Gears?

I have had my clod for about 2 weeks now, and sheared 3 sets of gears on really puny stuff... WTH? Are Clod gears junk? Who makes a good set of billet gears? Anyone have an extra set? I need some Help!! I got a Crawl Habbit and I am starting to bug out! I need a fix!
TX Zilla 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Clodbuste...p-1-c-257.html

half way down the page
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Also here..
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...74/4730630.htm
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #4

Noob question, Is that a posi locked set?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post

i check your site to but it said you were out of stock.

both are great vendors to deal with.

and yes it is more like a spool, not posi.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

if you want posi you need a Ball Differential Integy makes one

http://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...d=4570&p_catid=
Hondatouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you are stripping gears that quickly, you have another problem outside of weak gears. Stock clod gears aren't the strongest things on earth, but if you have stripped three sets in two weeks, you probably have another problem.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Zilla 4 View Post
I have had my clod for about 2 weeks now, and sheared 3 sets of gears on really puny stuff... WTH? Are Clod gears junk? Who makes a good set of billet gears? Anyone have an extra set? I need some Help!! I got a Crawl Habbit and I am starting to bug out! I need a fix!
What Motor, Pinion and battery are you running?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

Yeah if you don't watch your driving stock gears are worthless. I love the integy gears. I went from busting set of gears maybe twice a year (teeth would sharpen from stress). To never breaking a set ever again. I managed to damage the gearbox from to much torque. Gears are rougher from the case damage but still work like new. Honestly, if striping gears is something you never want to mess with again get the aluminum gear set. However, if you don't mind adapting your driving style and rebuilding the gears twice a year keep the stockers. Also maybe just consider getting the gear set for just the rear axle the front gets like half the stress. If your using the stock diffs that is your problem right there. The stock diff gears just can't handle much of anything at all. Going with just a simple Trac loc or similar spool will do wonders to strengthen everything up.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #10

Speed Gems 37T (I think) 11 tooth pinion, and Tenergy 4500mAh Bat. Its always the rear that strips. Btw all the gear sets I had were used so That may be the problem as well.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #11

Well could my setup be the culprit?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #12

I need answers guys. Should I sell the Speed gems and go another route?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

What gear is stripping? If it is the one that meshes with the pinion, your issue may be with a damaged pinion. Other wise, have you checked to make sure all the bearings (are you running bearings or bushings?) are intact and spin freely?
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #14

Pinion is new, it has plastic bushing in them. All seam to move nicely. Yes it is the gear that meshes with the pinion. Im just thinking of stripping it down and starting over. Its a Zilla 4 and I think I want a Gmade Spider, Unless some one has a better Idea. I know for sure its getting alu gears and locked posi. Should I get the gear cases as well??
Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The stock clod pinion gear is a 13T. If you have an 11T, you can't get a good mesh with the first plastic gear (counter gear) unless you hog out the motor mount holes in the gearbox (not recommended) or use adjustable motor mounts (highly recommended). If your cases are uncut and no motor mounts, there is your problem. The pinion isn't engaged into the counter gear enough and while it may run for a while, it will strip in short order if the rig gets a load on it.

If you are using adjustable motor mounts, you should also use the longer pinion gears like RC4WD and others sell to insure full contact across the entire counter gear. The stock width pinion gears will only allow partial engagement of the counter gear. IMO the stock gears are pretty darn rugged as long as the pinion is set right and the bearings are in good shape. The differential gear should be replaced with an aluminum one. I and many others have glued them but they are prone to failure under the stress of hard crawling.

All the clods came with bearings and not bushings on both sides of the 2 counter shafts. If someone put in bushings here that are worn or the wrong size, it may allow the counter gear to back away from the pinion under load. Bushings on the inner and outer axles are generally okay as they turn pretty slowly crawling and a little slop ain't gonna hurt anything here.

The clod gearboxes are pretty rugged stock but can be beefed up considerably using aftermarket parts.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #16

I know If I spend all day looking I can find the answer I need, But I dont have that amount of time. So here is my question: What would be the best setup for my clod (gear and pinion wise) to continue to run the speed gems? or would I be better just changing the motors to 55t and starting from scratch? I love my clod but I am starting to feel she may be too dated for my experience.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

55T, adjustable motor mounts, 8 tooth long pinions, aluminum diff gear.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
55T, adjustable motor mounts, 8 tooth long pinions, aluminum diff gear.
X2 . Really need to stress the use of long pinions for better contact with the counter gear
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #19

Thanks guys Im sure with some coaching, cussing, and some $$ she will be 1 bad clod. Thanks for the help.

Any recomndations as what type of motors? I know 55t ut what brand? Also what can I do to make my run time longer? As of now she will run 20-30 min max with 4500mAh 6 cell. I have heard that I can run 2 packs with the Traxxs esc is this corect?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #20
MWRCA'er

With the high turns motors (55t) runtime will no longer be a problem. I know I was getting upwards of 40 minutes with a 3300 pack.

You can't really go wrong with any 55t motor. I prefer just the cheap Integys.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote