Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: This is a dumb @$$ question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default This is a dumb @$$ question

Can someone please explain to me about the number of turns in an electric motor? I've always been a Nitro guy so electric is new to me. Is it the lower the # of turns the more speed you get and the higher the # of turns the more power and torque you get? I've read some people prefer stock mills and some prefer Mods. I'd like to stay with stock because, well I already have the damn things. Please help a dummy out.

Also what batteries should be run with two motors. I was pretty sure I read that some guys were getting almost 60 min. out of one Batt.

Also where can a guy get the 8T and 9T pinion gears and T-Maxx wheel adaptors for a Clod?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Texrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: This is a dumb @$$ question

Motors. "turns" refers to the number of times the armature is wound. Generally speaking, lower turns = faster motor.
Now there is also the Winding number, Single, Double, Triple, Quad, Quint, etc. For example, a Saphire motor is a 17Single. This is the number of wires that are wrapped on the armature. Again generally speaking, Lower number of wires (single) = more torque.
In a racing situation, sometimes you would want your rig to top out like 30' from the line as opposed to 10'. So you would switch to a higher wind like a triple or something. If you want your rig to jump off the line top speed immediately then you would run a Single wind. In the crawling world it's all about torque. Single wind is what you want, period.
A stock "silver can" like what comes in a Clod i believe is a 27 turn Single. A Magnetic Mayhem is i believe a 22 turn single. Note that the MM is a 550 size can which is slightly longer than the normal 540 size. So you may run into some link clearance issues. What everyone is running is the 55 turn Single Integy lathe motor. Incidentally, with the 55 turn, low gearing, and a single 6 cell pack you can get up to 1 hour run times. All of the 3 motors mentioned will work for crawling. If I were you I would run the silver cans you have to start with. Biggest thing is lowering your gearing.
Most guys just run 1 single 6 cell pack.
I like the Thunder Tech Racing TMaxx to Clod adapters.
Click Me
To lower your gearing you will need to modify your cases or pick up some of these-
Click Me
Click Me

Good Luck!
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: This is a dumb @$$ question

Hey thanks alot. This is good stuff. I feel like I have a little more understanding on this stuff.
Texrok is offline   Reply With Quote