Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Best Clod Style Axles????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Best Clod Style Axles????????

I'm looking for the best Clod or Clod style axle setup for my super class build. I have the Raptor2 axles from RC4WD and have had nothing but problems with them and I am looking for something that actually works well not just looks like it would work well. Any info on what to get and where to get it would be great. It doesn't have to be pretty I just want something with really low gearing that doesn't break everytime on test runs in my livingroom.
JPB-rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hmm, noone replied to this. Anyways, Ive read similiar questions and the answer is pretty much always the same. You want axles that are strong and clod like? Then why not try the original thing? Clod axles. Lots of parts available and they are a tried and trued design. I know the search button seriously sucks, but if your willing to spend hours, sometimes days, youll eventually find the information your looking for.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Standard Clodbuster axles offer enough geardown just by using low tooth pinions. I'd suggest the following:

- Stock Clodbuster gearcase halves
- Aluminum Axle tubes
- Locked Differentials
- Adjustable motor mounts
- BTA steering kit
- Maybe something like 45-55T motors with a 9 tooth pinion in the front and 8T pinion in the rear.

We offer the lockers, motors, motor mounts, and BTA steering if interested. There are a number of other vendors that also offer some of these items. Good luck!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Hmm, noone replied to this. Anyways, Ive read similiar questions and the answer is pretty much always the same. You want axles that are strong and clod like? Then why not try the original thing? Clod axles. Lots of parts available and they are a tried and trued design. I know the search button seriously sucks, but if your willing to spend hours, sometimes days, youll eventually find the information your looking for.
I have never tried clod axles. The Raptor2s came with my kit and I was just looking for a little input on a good beefy crawling setup. The sarcasm is great but was hoping for a little more performance related data on super sized axles.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Standard Clodbuster axles offer enough geardown just by using low tooth pinions. I'd suggest the following:

- Stock Clodbuster gearcase halves
- Aluminum Axle tubes
- Locked Differentials
- Adjustable motor mounts
- BTA steering kit
- Maybe something like 45-55T motors with a 9 tooth pinion in the front and 8T pinion in the rear.

We offer the lockers, motors, motor mounts, and BTA steering if interested. There are a number of other vendors that also offer some of these items. Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I didn't think that I would ever receive a response and was suprised when I logged on and saw not 1 reply but 2. I will be checking your website out for sure as it seems like you are giving me useable information and I need all the help that I can get with this monster sized crawler.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'd like to add something. Go with a full Spool and ThunderTech CVD's. The most common parts to break. Are Axle Tubes, Axle Shafts, Knuckles and the Diff gear. If you have the Money. Go with Full Alumn gears, Alumn Tubes and Knuckles, Stock gear housings, and TTR CVD's. That is all you need for a good Super Clod Axle. Besides Motor mounts and Pinions. Running two different Pinions really isn't needed. Just gear Low, and Volt up. Thats the Key to Clod Stall. If you have even more Bank. Run Dual ESC's and a DX6....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I'd like to add something. Go with a full Spool and ThunderTech CVD's. The most common parts to break. Are Axle Tubes, Axle Shafts, Knuckles and the Diff gear. If you have the Money. Go with Full Alumn gears, Alumn Tubes and Knuckles, Stock gear housings, and TTR CVD's. That is all you need for a good Super Clod Axle. Besides Motor mounts and Pinions. Running two different Pinions really isn't needed. Just gear Low, and Volt up. Thats the Key to Clod Stall. If you have even more Bank. Run Dual ESC's and a DX6....

Thanks alot for the info. I'v got a couple of 2.2 size trucks but this is the first "super sized crawler that I have tried to build. I'm running a Mamba Max with 3s lipo so I hope that covers the "volt up" part but I'm a little confused on the "gear low" part. A stock clod axle with full aluminum gears and a 9t pinion will be low enough? Are the after market aluminum gears the same as the stock gear ratio or are they a different "lower" ratio than stock? Again thanks for the help. I already have a way better idea of what I'm looking for with the info in these last 2 posts.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You can get Full Alumn gears in Stock gearing or even Lower gearing. Stock gearing is fine. The Pinion size really Depends on the Turn motor you use. I recommend 45T's and 6-8t Pinions. Depending how much wheelSpeed you like.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote