Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Noob Question about ClodStall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #1

Default Noob Question about ClodStall

Hey guys, apologize if this has been covered, I searched, and didn't find much about this type of ESC. I'm building my first crawler (just a back yard basher to play with while Im waiting for parts for the big one), and I've been looking for a decent ESC and I came across this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130247363958

My question is, is anyone actually running one of these things? And being that its a dual motor output ESC, would it prevent ClodStall? I raced stadium trucks probably 10+ years ago, (when the Caliber 3Ps and 2200mah packs were king) and found out if it wasn't a tekin or a novak ESC, for the most part to steer clear. But the more I look around, I see alots changed in ten years... so thought I'd come to you folks for advice.

Ohh and I was also looking at the Novak Rooster "Crawler" and the Tekin Rebel 2.

Thanks a heap,
-Pat

Last edited by OIIIIIIIO; 12-07-2008 at 09:16 AM.
OIIIIIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

No it won't stop motor stall. The best way to stop motor stall is to run two separate speed controllers, on separate channels so you can throttle the motors individually. In addition to that benefit, you'll also have the ability to do digs (just running the front motor for sharper, pivot turns), and you can use the rear motor to 'load' up the front tires against a hard to climb ledge for better traction.

Other things to help with motor stall, if you can't run a dual ESC set-up would be running as small of a pinion as you can in the rear axle, and maybe pinion in the front with 1 or 2 teeth more. Load the front tires with some weight also, so the front end won't unload as much and become light.

Motor stall is not to large of a problem with the right set-up. With a true, dual motor, dual ESC set-up, and independent throttle channels, stall is not an issue at all, and it becomes a huge asset to run a dual everything set-up.

Oh, and no offense, but a no name $13 ESC from E-Bay is not what I'd call a good speed controller. Electronics are not a place to skimp. You can always re-use a good ESC on other projects, even if the truck you originally bought it for, ceases to exist later. A 2 amp BEC rating is also pretty low, by todays standards.

Last edited by Espeefan; 12-07-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Oh, and no offense, but a no name $13 ESC from E-Bay is not what I'd call a good speed controller. Electronics are not a place to skimp.
And that, is why I asked. Thanks for the input!

-Pat
OIIIIIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well $99 is a far cry from $13 dollars. $99 will buy you a good speed controller regardless. while i do agree you get what you pay for, my $50 moped has kicked ass in my clod for the year i've had it.
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIIIIIIIO View Post
And that, is why I asked. Thanks for the input!

-Pat
Your welcome. Your gut feeling was correct. The majority of speed controllers can handle dual motor applications. You just need to make sure you stay within the limits of the ESC's ratings. They usually have a motor turn limit. The effect of a dual motor arrangement is that the total number of turns between the two motors, combined, will be exactly half of one motor by itself. In other words, two 55 turn motors, wired in parallel (the only way you'd want to wire them) would be seen by the ESC as one single 27.5 turn motor. It won't know the difference.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote