Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: To Clod or not to Clod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #1

Default To Clod or not to Clod?

Ok I am new to the Crawler world, but have been pretty much racing RC’s for the last 6 years. I have an E-Maxx I am contemplating changing over, but I kind of want something that I can how do you say mod the crap out of it! I have been looking at the AX10, the Venom, don’t get me wrong they look great, but I want something that is a lil more beefier. And with all the high modded crawlers I have seen, the one that has stuck in my mind is the clod. Seems that a lot of them use the clods axels. Now to my question, what are the benefits of going to a clod and any cons if there are any?
Teknoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

There's more aftermarket parts for the Clodbuster than just about any other kit. The axles are really beefy in stock form and can be made bulletproof as your budget allows.

Cons may be they're a little wide to run as a standard 2.2 rig. Different tubes, knuckles, and wheels are available to bring their width down considerably though.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You want beefy, convert your e-maxx.
Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
There's more aftermarket parts for the Clodbuster than just about any other kit. The axles are really beefy in stock form and can be made bulletproof as your budget allows.

Cons may be they're a little wide to run as a standard 2.2 rig. Different tubes, knuckles, and wheels are available to bring their width down considerably though.
bulletproof is always a must when I am driving!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you are going to build a super style truck IMHO there is nothing better than clod axles.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Clod axles all the way. The number of available replacement and aluminum, hop up parts alone make this any easy choice. There is also a great tech article stickied at the top of the page on how to build solid clod axles. Welcome to RCC.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeley View Post
You want beefy, convert your e-maxx.
Currently working on an idea to mount a pivot point between the chassis plate and the bulkheads. This would raise the chassis itself and allow the chassis to twist. Basically it would look like an anglecoming from the bottom of the chassis with a shaft 90 degrees heading straight towards the bulkheads. another angle mounted on the bulkhead aloowing the bulkhead angle to rotate on the shaft. Going to try this with wood and get the diminsions correct and have a friend make them out of aluminum.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERINVA View Post
Clod axles all the way. The number of available replacement and aluminum, hop up parts alone make this any easy choice. There is also a great tech article stickied at the top of the page on how to build solid clod axles. Welcome to RCC.
Thanks ! ! ! Every pic or awesom Crawler that i have run acrossed, it either said modified Clod or Clod axels. I have seen alot of different chassis and for some reason, realistically the sheer size of the Clod compared to other crawlers is what appeals to me. most of the guys in the area run the AX10 or Venom, but then this old guy comes up and tosses out this crawler and drives up the hill of rocks like it was nothing. and whaen you ask him what it is, he says it is a clod.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So you are looking to build a super or a smaller 2.2 crawler? either way you can't go wrong with clod axles.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I've had my clod crawler for 4 years and I have never broke an axle. I would say if your going to build a super then i'd say 100% clod axles

JRock
Team Low Elevation Rock Krawlers
'Team L E R K'

CRAWLIN CALI

JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would go clod.But they are not bullet proof.I broke my first axel in the snow about 3 days ago.Not the plastic axel tube,but the steel axel itself.Twisted it in two.Guesing I have to much torque.Wish I had a pic.
smokin0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin0137 View Post
I would go clod.But they are not bullet proof.I broke my first axel in the snow about 3 days ago.Not the plastic axel tube,but the steel axel itself.Twisted it in two.Guesing I have to much torque.Wish I had a pic.
i'm guessin it was the stock axle...
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote