Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: I got me a clod crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

Default I got me a clod crawler

But I need some assistance...

It has to high of gearing, would like to change it to something that will actually CRAWL so I can have better control..

also what is the best steering servo's to use that are somewhat inexpensive, also what steering linkage, the linkage I have I have already destroyed.

Also. what tire/wheel combo is best?
ademster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
Bigger Spur
Smaller pinion
Get a crawler motor suited for this such as 35-55T range
Some cool tires

Bigger Spur......?

Are you Building a Super or 2.2?

You will need some adjustable motor mounts. They range from $5 each to $30pr. You only need two of course. 8t Pinions are a good start. For either 2.2's or Supers. I wouldn't run anything lower the 45T on a Clod, but thats just me. Pinions are cheap so I would pick up a few extras 9t's,7t, and 6t's..

Servo... If it's a Super... The MG9805 is the best bang for the buck. It's a 1/4 scale servo for about $30 with 333oz of Torque. You will need to make your own Servo Mounts for them. A standard size servo with that much torque will run you anywhere from $80 (Hobbico) to over $100 for Hitces and Jr's.

Tires... For a 2.2 Clod... HB Rovers Whites. Not many choicses for Supers. David at Xtreme Rc Hobbies makes some Panther tires for Supers, pro-line has Moab in 40's and a new one will be out in 6 weeks or so. Rc4wd will have a nice Super tire as well in 4 weeks or less.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #3

can ya help me pick out the correct spur and pinion I want to do it right the first time, my wife already complain i put to much money and time in my r/c planed and real rock crawler..

also what are cool tires... which brand and style work best.

thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Bigger Spur......?

Are you Building a Super or 2.2?

You will need some adjustable motor mounts. They range from $5 each to $30pr. You only need two of course. 8t Pinions are a good start. For either 2.2's or Supers. I wouldn't run anything lower the 45T on a Clod, but thats just me. Pinions are cheap so I would pick up a few extras 9t's,7t, and 6t's..

Servo... If it's a Super... The MG9805 is the best bang for the buck. It's a 1/4 scale servo for about $30 with 333oz of Torque. You will need to make your own Servo Mounts for them. A standard size servo with that much torque will run you anywhere from $80 (Hobbico) to over $100 for Hitces and Jr's.

Tires... For a 2.2 Clod... HB Rovers Whites. Not many choicses for Supers. David at Xtreme Rc Hobbies makes some Panther tires for Supers, pro-line has Moab in 40's and a new one will be out in 6 weeks or so. Rc4wd will have a nice Super tire as well in 4 weeks or less.
Im not sure what it is i got... it has the stock axles/ it has venom electric motors.. not sure on series. has a dual battery ecs on it.. I have a decent JR radio.. some sort of chassis. I will post pictures later.

Everything that is on it is how I got it...

I bought two new 4500 mAh batteries for it which it needed thing runs like a chame but I dont need a speed demon..

It flex's nicely but need to make new shock mounts, and decide which spring rate I want.

So I will buy 9 8 7 6 tooth pinions and adjustable motor mounts..

and as for tire/wheel package I guess I will hit up the local shop and see what they have available.. and where is the best place to buy the 1/4 scale servors for $30?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

the clod i had...

9T pionion on stock running gear (sorry bout the Spur comment, forgot about how it was set up.)

Adj motor mounts

I had magmayhems but this may be far to high end torque for what your after, go for a 35-55T as mentioned and you should be alright i think
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Are the batteries wired in parallel or series? Is the truck rediculously fast? If so they are probably in parallel. The motor and pinion combination should vary on the amount of voltage. You also eliminate 1 of the packs just to save weight and get your CG (center of gravity) lower. The lower the better. Also post pics of your setup if possible.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #7

Sorry for the pictures being so big, to lazy to resize.
EDIT***images removed Nick had reposted them at a decent size...
It is extremely Fast. when I have the throttle % adjusted to full. on the controller.

Last edited by ademster; 03-19-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Here you go... It's a lot easier for us to see them when they fit on the screen.

Looks like the stock can motors with no adjustable motor mounts so I would have to assume it's the stock pinions(12 or 13 tooth). I would recommend starting there-new motors(45 turn to 55 turn) and a pair of adjustable motor mounts so you can run some smaller pinions(7 or 8 tooth).
Attached Images

Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post
Here you go... It's a lot easier for us to see them when they fit on the screen.

Looks like the stock can motors with no adjustable motor mounts so I would have to assume it's the stock pinions(12 or 13 tooth). I would recommend starting there-new motors(45 turn to 55 turn) and a pair of adjustable motor mounts so you can run some smaller pinions(7 or 8 tooth).

it does have the stock pinion of 13...

I have the Venom Motors in it... How do I figure out what the turn is on it?

What does the 45 turn 55 turn mean exactly. I am new to electrics as I normally fly nitro planes...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

the turn count : higher number= lower speed and higher torque. u have the same esc i started with and ran for a long while. rewire it so you only need one battery, get 2 45t or 55t motors, adj motor mounts, and a 7t rear pinion and a 8t front pinion. thats how i ran mine for like a year or so. how many volts are the batteries you have. that has alot to do with wheel speed too.
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
the turn count : higher number= lower speed and higher torque. u have the same esc i started with and ran for a long while. rewire it so you only need one battery, get 2 45t or 55t motors, adj motor mounts, and a 7t rear pinion and a 8t front pinion. thats how i ran mine for like a year or so. how many volts are the batteries you have. that has alot to do with wheel speed too.

they are venom 7.2V 4500mAh batteries.

how do i wire the ecs to run one battery?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

JPcustomrcs for the servos.He's a Great vender too

http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...75/4748364.htm
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
JPcustomrcs for the servos.He's a Great vender too

http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...75/4748364.htm

Awesome, I will order 3 next week or two.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
the turn count : higher number= lower speed and higher torque.
Higher turn motors do run slower, but they do not produce more torque. The slower speed does help make the truck more docile for crawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERINVA
Are the batteries wired in parallel or series? Is the truck rediculously fast? If so they are probably in parallel
Battery packs wired in parallel do not make a truck fast. They double the run time. Battery packs wired in series would double the voltage, thus make it faster.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Battery packs wired in parallel do not make a truck fast. They double the run time. Battery packs wired in series would double the voltage, thus make it faster.[/quote]

You are correct. I just re read my post and caught it. Then I saw your post further down. The EVX ESC does wire the batteries in series from the factory so he is in fact running 14.4V.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #16

If you can get 2 550 (emaxx) motors you can run a super rooster in series to the motors and the battery's in parallel and you can get 45 min plus run times in the rocks. I used to do this on my clods and emaxx's back in the day. This combo gives plenty on torque, great control, and never gets hot.
Sparky YFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:

i just built a clod myself i put a 9 tooth pinion in and it seems to do the trick, not to fast and not to slow.
meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:

oh and thats with a 55t novak motor
meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #19

Hi! I am new to this site and I was looking at your posted pictures. I have the same chassie but it is shockless. It is a Crawford performance chassie that someone has converted to shocks.
rockoff is offline   Reply With Quote