Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: home brew stick , or torsion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #1

Default home brew stick , or torsion?

Well I bought a used pimp cane super class off ebay a little while ago and man am I hooked!!! after seeing my buddy's ax10 in action I wanted a crawler, was looking around and found my super class on ebay by accident. the guy simply said they didnt compete super class around him anymore so he was building a 2.2 and sold his clod pimp cane I feel I stole it practly.... Anyways now I just came across a old clodbuster for sale locally. Cheap,, no body unfortunatly, it had the old mechanical speed controller, electrionics dont work , and had a busted axle tube,,, but someone had put a four link setup on it, going to the factory plastic chassie,, he said the hobbby store didnt sell any parts and didnt know how to fix it, and just wanted to get rid of it.... of course I bought it

So Im gonna build another super class style clod!!!
This is not to compete just to have fun with buds
For now I'm gonna keep the plastic axles and tubes I already have a new axle tube installed, and jb locked the diff while I had that one apart. and I have made a servo plate over the front axle, I actually went from the "king pin" to the trans side, I need to make the steering rod ( just read up on that)

Now the "frame" what works decent? I see the $2 socket holder,, I see the lowes c channel, and I see the pivot ball style . my pimp cane looks almost exactly like the lowes c channel with some holes in it, I like the idea of the pivot ball style. what do you guys suggest? what are the dissavantages of each. I know some have messed with it before. Thanks for the input,, Since I bought my other one ready to go ,, Its gonna be fun to build this one myself..
wayne1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #2

any thoughts guys?
wayne1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would suggest doing a search on the forums. There are alot of build threads in the clod section. I believe the easiest method was the c channel route. The "pivot ball style" is a little more complex to build. I do not know which one is better or worse. What ever you choose, be sure to take lots of pictures chronicling your build and post it here for others to see.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I love my homebrew "stick". I've tumbled and tossed it off of big ledges and not had issue with it in it's current configuration, although the 1st version I built using aluminum tubing was a nightmare at best....that one bent and twisted in every fashion imaginable.
I switched it over to solid aluminum rod and never looked back. The center ground clearance (breakover) is tough to beat with a standard 4-link, I do struggle with some sidehill climbs.
All that said, for a general tough, almost "basher" style rig, I'd stick with a TVP chassis and a 4-link. I'm building 2 identical BENDER Customs SW2 Supers for my boys right now. These trucks have a proven track record out here in Colorado, I have no doubt they'll fit the bill for my little crawlers.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

take a look at my budget super build... I have a mill at my disposal but a dremel and drill is all you nee
Project: Low Budget Super.

Last edited by jetboat; 09-06-2009 at 08:10 AM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote