Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Building a clod, got questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #1

Default Building a clod, got questions!

Hey guys. I'm new to the scene of R/C rock crawling but I wheel a 1:1 Jeep. I just bought a set of clodbuster axles and am working out my design. I have a few questions I hope you all can help me answer.

I had an HPI nitro rush as well as a lost xxx-nt back in the day. I was planning on buying new tires and rims but i actually found 3 masher 2k tires in my basement (somehow lost tire number 4) anyway they are super glued to a set of rims. I need to get them off. I have heard you can boil the tires/rims and this will get them off without damage. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, I have a set of HPI 2.2 wheels i would like to use on my clod. What kind of adaptors will I need to run these? Will t/emaxx adaptors work?

Finally, I need two screws that hold the knuckles on to the axles... the axels i bought were missing these. Where can i find replacements?

Thanks a ton
dell30rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Go to cheap tricks in this forum it tells you how to get tires off.
whalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Turn your oven to 400 and let it heat up then shut it off put the tires in the oven ona old cookie sheet and let them sit for about an hour the heat will break down the super glue and make it brittle. they should come right off after that.

The HPI 2.2 rims will fit the clod axles with no adapter. just remove the clod wheel adapter and theres a 12mm hex under it. you will have to put some sort of spacer on the out side of the wheel between the rim and the lock nut . if not there will be slop and you will strip the rims. The t-maxx wheels use a 14mm hex there are adapters you can buy to run those rims. The crawler store carries a nice set that will work.

The screws I'm not sure where you can get them from. I have gone to local hardware stores and found some similar and filed them to fit.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Built, not bought

As Far As The Screws Go,thundertech Racing Has The Clod Junkyard On Their Website.they Have Pretty Much Everything You Need.but,be Warned,if Your Order Is Less Than $20.00 They Will Charge You To Use A Credit Or Debit Card Due To The Cost Of Processing.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

I moved this back to Clodbuster cuz I think these are valid Clod-based questions.

The screws you need are available from Tower or other hobby places. Tower's part number is LXGB67.

As said before, no adapters are needed to run 2.2 wheels as long as your wheels have the correct backspacing to clear the knuckles.

I remove my tires with an x-acto knife.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #6

ok, got the wheels mounted and all that stuff figured out

now i got new questions..

I need motors. And a speed control. I'm going for whatever is cheap. In the how to build a clod article (my bible for this thing) the cheapest speed control listed is $80. Any reason why I cant run the $40 duratrax esc w/ reverse? I used to have one awhile back.. ended up selling it with the truck, it worked fine. But would it be suitable for use with say... 2 55t lathe motors?

Also..

How do the motors mount to the axles? My axles came with no mounting screws or anything of the like for the motors. There are holes in the axle with 2 metal sleeves that are slightly longer than the axle casing. I am assuming screws go through these sleeves? Where would i find these and what size would I need? to use with lathe motors

thanks!
dell30rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

As far as the ESC goes the Tekin Rebel 2 is awesome and well worth the $$. If you will be running 4WS now or in the future this is the one to get. There are others out there like the discontinued Super Rooster but for what you need and get the TR2 is great.

Axles:

If you will be running the 9 tooth pinions then just order the adjustable motor mounts from the crawler store and they come with ALL the bolts and nuts needed to mount them.

Last edited by rockcrawler304; 01-02-2006 at 12:02 AM.
rockcrawler304 is offline   Reply With Quote