Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: New crawler don't crawl, HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
27t

Default New crawler don't crawl, HELP

I just finished building a new crawler but am having many difficulties getting it going. I have owned this Clod Buster since 1987, and this is it's third incarnation. I am running Trinity Matched Madness motors, JPS steel gears front and rear, 4" shocks, and a TEKIN 600 pro XT controller. Here's my problem, when i drive it the rear end likes to sneak up on the front end until it looks like a freakin pyramid and it doesn't want to turn either. I am using an older airtronics 94510 high torque servo and the dang thing wont even turn the wheels sitting on the ground. Plus i am glitching out the butt' it looks like its doing the macarana! Im sure i can work out the glitching thing, and if i throw enough money at a servo i bet i can fix that to, but this crawling up on its self is just to weird!!! Please help!
27t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Default Re: New crawler don't crawl, HELP

I know this is dumb but are both axles spinning at the same speed?
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

is it 4link it sounds like a badly designed 4link system do you even have 4 links on it or just two
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
27t

The axles should be turning at the same speed. like i said i am running a aet of trinity Matched Madness motors, I am going to increase the timing on the front motor and see what happens. as far as the bad link design the chassis is a new Gecko 2 adjustable wheel base, so it is actually a 3 link not 4. i have talked to several other buggy runners and a common thread keeps coming up, my 4" shocks could be allowing way to much travel so will look into that also. Thanks for the replys, keepem coming!
27t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Pictures would help alot. :?
If you have your chassis set up for alot of articulation then the shocks might allow the rear axle to walk under. Try this, set the ride height low and so that the shocks are fully extended at ride height.

Having the shocks fully extended at ride height is the most important thing unless you know what you are doing with suspension setups.

Good luck
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sounds like he doesnt have his rear motor reversed. too long a shock usually means weird steering when the chassis is flexed.
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

sounds like a motor timing issue. Also, its a Gecko II?? or the new Gecko LWB chassis? that makes a big difference.

The gecko in stock form will...no matter what....want to "walk" the rear end forward. The solution is to get the motors timed at 0 degrees front and rear...then setup your suspension. I run limiting straps on my Gx Gecko, that takes away the tendency to unload. The straps are connected to my upper 4link mount so that the wheels can still have downtravel, but the axle as a whole does not drop (same as front of the chassis lifting) when accelerating up an incline.
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote