Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Question about shock springs/oil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #1

Default Question about shock springs/oil.

My truck came with black bodied/black springs T-maxx shocks on it. After doing a search on them it seems like they a good replacement for the truck. After doing a eBay search for a rebuild kit I ended buying a new gray set with red springs. I put them on but they seem too "tight". Basically when driving it bounces around a lot. To the point it's almost funny. It looks like a mid eighties Monster Truck when it hits anything. Do I need to change the springs or weight of the oil to soften up the suspension some? Granted I'm comparing this to a Mini T, but I've seen T-maxxs and E-Maxxs running and they don't bounce around like this thing does. It almost looks like the original Tamiya videos of the original Clod Buster.
Thanks,
1of1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Try a heavier oil, that should slow the travel in the shocks the heavier the slower.
lud98r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of1547 View Post
My truck came with black bodied/black springs T-maxx shocks on it. After doing a search on them it seems like they a good replacement for the truck. After doing a eBay search for a rebuild kit I ended buying a new gray set with red springs. I put them on but they seem too "tight". Basically when driving it bounces around a lot. To the point it's almost funny. It looks like a mid eighties Monster Truck when it hits anything. Do I need to change the springs or weight of the oil to soften up the suspension some? Granted I'm comparing this to a Mini T, but I've seen T-maxxs and E-Maxxs running and they don't bounce around like this thing does. It almost looks like the original Tamiya videos of the original Clod Buster.
Thanks,
The red springs are softer than the black springs. You really shouldn't notice any difference between the black and the gray shocks and the red springs should make things softer.

Make sure the shocks move freely where they are mounted to the chassis and links.
Does the gray shocks use a piston with the same number of holes as the black shocks?
Are you using the same weight oil?

Maxx trucks have their weight in the chassis so the shocks are used to dampen the lighter moving suspension. Crawlers and particularly Clod axles have most of the weight in the axles so the shocks do not dampen much when driving around on flat ground.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 04-13-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The red springs are softer than the black springs. You really shouldn't notice any difference between the black and the gray shocks and the red springs should make things softer.

Make sure the shocks move freely where they are mounted to the chassis and links.
Does the gray shocks use a piston with the same number of holes as the black shocks?
Are you using the same weight oil?

Maxx trucks have their weight in the chassis so the shocks are used to dampen the lighter moving suspension. Crawlers and particularly Clod axles have most of the weight in the axles so the shocks do not dampen much when driving around on flat ground.
That would make a lot of sense. What would be my best option? I don't think it really needs a thicker weight oil since the suspension really isn't compressing. It's more or a less just bouncing. The black shock I have no history on. The gray shocks are brand new off of eBay. So I'm would guess they are as Traxxas assembled them. They move very free up and down. But they were very stiff. They were definitely not fast action!!! So I'm thinking maybe a light weight oil first and maybe a Losi spring second. What do you think? t seems the spring more or a less keeps the shock at full extension and the oil controls the how fast it compresses. Does that make sense?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #5

I bought a set of the grey shocks for mine & they have the red springs but with a white dot on them.. The shocks seem fairly stiff (only running 4 not 8 shocks) so Im not sure if the red with white dot are stiffer than the old red springs..I am considering a lighter oil in the shocks to get easier compression..i think the tires are doing more bouncing than the shocks..
ratpower396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

I should be heading to the LHS this weekend. What weight oil should I look for?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
t seems the spring more or a less keeps the shock at full extension and the oil controls the how fast it compresses. Does that make sense?
The spring and the oil have to work together. You can use a stiff spring and a stiff oil to get similar action as a light spring and a light oil. However if your spring is too stiff for the amount of sprung weight then the shocks won't compress. Unless you are crawling, then articulation combined the weight of the axles and tires can compress a stiffer spring.
Quote:
I should be heading to the LHS this weekend. What weight oil should I look for?
Generally in a crawler I like to run 40 to 60 wt oil with a coilover spring. If you want to try a lightweight oil like 30 that might work for you if you are trying to bash with it.

Are you trying to go fast with this thing or just crawl?
Is it a tube chassis or a lightweight TVP design?
What size tires and wheels are you running?
Are your shocks mounted to the links or the axles?

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 04-16-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Generally in a crawler I like to run 40 to 60 wt oil with a coilover spring. If you want to try a lightweight oil like 30 that might work for you if you are trying to bash with it.

Are you trying to go fast with this thing or just crawl?
Is it a tube chassis or a lightweight TVP design?
What size tires and wheels are you running?
Are your shocks mounted to the links or the axles?
Right now it is bone stock (tires, wheels, frame, etc.) other the a Traxxas EVX, Stinger motors, and T-Maxx springs. Right now I'm just bashing and having fun with it. I've always wanted one since the came out. The next step is building a crawler out of it. I'd like to try to get the stock frame to work for now. But a aftermarket or homebuilt frame is not out of the question.