Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: TTR cvd's/integy axle tubes&knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TTR cvd's/integy axle tubes&knuckles

Ok. So I got my cvd's the other and they look great. My first problem I ran into was the bearing size for the integy knuckles(8x15x5) are a larger od then the stock clod knuckles. Got that problem solved with some expensive bearings of the only site I could find that carried them. My next problem and current problem. I got everything almost all done and i put the knuckles on the tubes and the king pin holes are a mm or couple thousands off know. I haven't put the rear set in yet to see if I run into the same problem. The only thing I can think of doing is giving the knuckles and axles to a machinist freind and having him mill a few thousands out of the bearing seat. So it drops in a little farther. I just thaught I would post up here first to see if anyone els has ran into this problem and has a easier fix or suggestions of something I might be over looking. These things are pretty straight forward so I don't see what the problem could be. Any help would be great for a newb crawler guy. Thanks
Drexcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

The TTR cvd's kit should fit without any modification for stock, Integy and Hot-Racing clod knuckles and tubes. IMO, you are using wrong size bearings. Whatever happen to the bearings that came with the kit? It's supposed to be 8 X 12. The OD never changes, only the ID changes due to larger stub axles. And the width of the bearing itself is just slightly over 3mm wide. I Think the width of the bearings is causing you the biggest problem.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
MODERHATER™

TTR CVD's
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

not sure if this is the prob you are haveing but this was mine, useing integy tubs and TTR axles

I bought a set of axles from one of the guys here real nice, brand new, he never used them. But when I turned the stearing oneway it was fine the other things where not. the king pin area on the integy tubs was casing it to bind, like they where not milled rite. the TTR axles where binding on them selfs. What I did was, I took some card board like on a parts package, or the cover of a binder (the cardboard cover its around 1mm or less). Cut it to make a gasket. First Unscrew the C hub from the tub( the 3 screws). make a gasket to fit between there, screw the c hub back on.
This pretty much cleared it up for me.
All 4 axle tubs binded, the rear just barly noticable, but they have strait axles in them. so I really didnt have to mess with them much, just couldnt tighten all 3 screw super tight in rear.
twisted crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsy View Post
The TTR cvd's kit should fit without any modification for stock, Integy and Hot-Racing clod knuckles and tubes. IMO, you are using wrong size bearings. Whatever happen to the bearings that came with the kit? It's supposed to be 8 X 12. The OD never changes, only the ID changes due to larger stub axles. And the width of the bearing itself is just slightly over 3mm wide. I Think the width of the bearings is causing you the biggest problem.
The brearings od that came with the kit are to small to fit into the integey knuckle. The bearing that I got are 8x15x5. Tha ones that came with the knuckles are 6x15x5 I think. I look again when i get to my shop later today
Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexcl View Post
The brearings od that came with the kit are to small to fit into the integey knuckle. The bearing that I got are 8x15x5. Tha ones that came with the knuckles are 6x15x5 I think. I look again when i get to my shop later today

Maybe try 8 x 15 x 3.5 bearings instead? I never owned any integy parts except it's motors... so maybe other integy knuckle & tubes owner could chime in.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Question

Quote:
Maybe try 8 x 15 x 3.5 bearings instead? I never owned any integy parts except it's motors... so maybe other integy knuckle & tubes owner could chime in.
Well Im here at the shop and after looking at the bearings that came in the TTR cvd kit they are 3.5 thick. Idk how I missed that when I ordered the 5mm thick bearings. I did a search for 8x15x3.5 bearing and still haven't found them. Any ideas of were I can find and order some.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well Im here at the shop and after looking at the bearings that came in the TTR cvd kit they are 3.5 thick. Idk how I missed that when I ordered the 5mm thick bearings. I did a search for 8x15x3.5 bearing and still haven't found them. Any ideas of were I can find and order some.

Can't find any with the width of 3.5. The thinnest one I could finf was your size, 5mm thick. Maybe an option is to machine the bearing opening on tubes an extra 2mm deeper to ensure that your drive pins would clear...
Old 07-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Can't find any with the width of 3.5. The thinnest one I could finf was your size, 5mm thick. Maybe an option is to machine the bearing opening on tubes an extra 2mm deeper to ensure that your drive pins would clear...
IMG_0399.JPGIMG_0398.JPG

see if these pics show up or not. Couldn't I just machine the bearing seat on the knuckle deaper? Thinking i will just make a cupler to holld the bearings that came in the kit. Try that first.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
IMG_0399.JPGIMG_0398.JPG

see if these pics show up or not. Couldn't I just machine the bearing seat on the knuckle deaper? Thinking i will just make a cupler to holld the bearings that came in the kit. Try that first.
This is extactly what I was thinking. Good luck with that.

ps. try using photobucket to load up your pics. It's free.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
This is extactly what I was thinking. Good luck with that.

ps. try using photobucket to load up your pics. It's free.

Thansk for all the help and info. One more try here. http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/c735d19e.jpg