Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Finally Finished So-cal's First G-Wagon!!! (College Budget Crawler)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Default Finally Finished So-cal's First G-Wagon!!! (College Budget Crawler)

Ya I finally finished except for a couple of little things, my first crawler. I wanted to get the nn chassis, or even fab my own but of course not living at home anymore with my endless supplies of tools and elbow room, I soon found my self faced with a college budget of about...nothing. My cordless drill, a couple of screwdrivers, metal snips and a whole lot of cursing at my side i finally gave into building a 2.2 stick crawler (hey you might as well have as much fun as possible) . I scoured homedepots and all of the little mom and pop stores for materals to build this thing, after almost giving up i found a piece of 1/2" aluminum pipe from a hobby store( of course!) I then used concrete anchors from homedepot and insterted them through 1/4's eyes to form my general chassis for the stick. I added links and used aluminum angle for the shock mounts. I locked the diffs, and FOR THE LIFE OF ME I could not find lathe motors, so of course being on the college budget I wound my own motors, let me tell you guys they worked out GREAT! and it only cost me $5.50. I do have the stock pinions in there but man I dont think that im gonna need to get 9 thooth pinion gears. It crawls nice and slow and even has enough torque to do wheelies! So enough of the gabbing, here's some pics. This is my first crawler that i've built, and im definetly a newbie, but I have driven other crawler and this does pretty good. So anyways let me know what you guys think also if you have any suggestions, thanks for looking!

You can see the How i used the concrete anchors and the eyes, I have already put a washer behind it to keep it all in place, it works great! (don't mind the wiring It's all run clean, i just had it rigged up so i could drive it haha)

It's got great flex

here's another naked shot (ignore the wiring) i got the battery tray mounted up and had to use my gf's hair ties till i could get ahold of some velcro hahah here we can see where the college budget shows its face.

Tada! it's done! I love the way the body turned out, (thanks Nluv) He painted the body for me and it looks absolutly amazing, I actually don't want to take it out to the rocks (for now).

it's got a really mean looking stance, i do need to narrow the rims and if you guys know how any other ways of narrowing the axles please let me know.

I also went with the tekin rebel and put a set of moabs on it with cut foams and the hpi split five wheels. I did get a chance to go home so i polished all of the aluminum parts on the crawler makes it really look good. Future mods include 4 wheel steering and Id like to turn my own 65t motors just to see the difference. Thanks for looking and let me know what you guys think. If you want more pics let me know and yes, they are poser shots on the pillows because i had to use the batteries from my controller in my camera to get the shots lol. o well
ubeakin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks great for a low budget crawler! Good job!

Just curious, where did you get the name G wagon? A g wagon usually refers to the Mercedes Geländewagen

Last edited by AdamF; 03-17-2006 at 01:10 PM.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Just curious, where did you get the name G wagon? A g wagon usually refers to the Mercedes Geländewagen
Exactly what I was thinking!!
Truck looks cool though, how is the COG with the battery in the middle like that?
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #4

G-wagon was just an inside joke between a bunch of friends and myself, i wasn't referring to anything.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou
Truck looks cool though, how is the COG with the battery in the middle like that?

It works great i haven't had any problems virtually all of the weight is on or over the axles.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
I thought the same thing. Anyone who has a Geländewagen and calls it a G Wagon doesn't deserve to have a Geländewagen. Besides this is the way it should look:

Not lowered, big friggin huge wheels, and rap "music" playing.

[/RANT][/HIJACK]

That's a pretty cool looking clod, looks real scale.
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
Im Brandon

Yeah!!!! Great work man, the body looks sweet, and you are right the stance ended up perfect. I will have to order some pede wheels and narrow them for ya All I ask is that you rewind some of my motors I have laying around hehe. Sorry I missed your call tonight, I got pretty sick this afternoon and I took a long nap (will probably be up all night now..)

Cant wait to see the pics on the rocks! Im just about ready to drive 5 hours to get down there and crawl with ya lol
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

isnt it a little bit on the short side of wheelbase
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl rookie
isnt it a little bit on the short side of wheelbase
Neh, it's works great and i was going for more of a scale look.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

that looks great man. excellent job for a low budget. Yeah college budgets do suck,especially when you start looking for things laying around that you dont use anymore so that you can sell them so you can buy more rc stuff.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635
that looks great man. excellent job for a low budget. Yeah college budgets do suck,especially when you start looking for things laying around that you dont use anymore so that you can sell them so you can buy more rc stuff.

your telling me! haha that's pretty much how I funded the whole project, it's do-able and you know its all about having fun, not who can dump the most money in to their rigs.