Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Locking the diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Locking the diff

Today I tried locking the rear diff on my clod. I used the stock gears and hot glue. Lots of hot glue.

I ran it for about 20 minutes, and the diff stripped the spider teeth and the glue.

I'm running a 35T motor and a 6T pinion on a 14V battery. Its making a good amount of torque, but nothing like a 65T motor.

I ordered a solid aluminum diff and a set of aluminum gears. I'm guessing the next thing I will break is the axle shafts.
prioret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I built my clod way back in 2003. I don't remember what all products were out there for the clods at that time. I Simply cleaned all the oil from my diff and spider gears and poured in JB Weld. Heck I've used the stuff to fix a cracked block in a mini bike engine. Why not try it on the gears? I have not broken an axle or torn anything up and I am amazed that my axles are still locked. I have used 35 turn and currently use 60T wound motors with 2 cell and 4 cell lipo battery packs and I am still running strong. I recently took apart to replace the bearings after a mud bog run and they still hold. Axles are completely stock.

Buddy ran stock axles with 35T motors and 2 cell lipo. Was running some heavy over sized tires. Bouncing his rig trying to climb a dirt hill and axle snapped. I myself climb same hill bouncing rig around and no broken parts.

So try out JB Weld and let it fully cure before trying.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Well this week I got the set of aluminium gears and the aluminium locker. I shattered one of the stock drive shafts in about 5 minutes.

I ordered a set of the cpe cdv shafts that day. I hope they hold.
prioret is offline   Reply With Quote