Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Stick Rubi-Clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2.2 Stick Rubi-Clod

Well...

the goal here was to get a wheelbase that 'fit' properly with a Rubicon shell... i think i've accomplished that... yet kept a pretty capable crawler. i haven't had it to the rocks much yet--- but i think it will still perform quite impressively on the rocks for a 2.2 and yet still looks pretty 'right' with the jeep bod. Clod axles are SO wide its a pain getting the fit to look even somewhat normal with a 1/10 scale shell.

What you see is a stick torsion chassis compliments of Egressor. (thank you much sir--- i REALLY like this chassis). it has a believe a 2.5mm (don't quote me on exact diameter of the bar) torsion bar so no shocks are necessary. its VERY light and really helps keep the CoG very low on this rig. probably the biggest offender is weight of the HPI Rubi shell.... but for the look i was going for, it works well.

don't mind the antenna please--- using a 6ch Rx from a heli and the antenna is about 10 miles long--- i just wrapped the excess around couple zip ties cuz my antenna tube was too short

typical RC4WD upgrades to the clod axles, trac gear lockers, 8t's, metal rod ends and rods, chrome skids, Novak Super Duty Esc mounted on the axle, 645's front and rear, 55 Lathes, and parellel'd 2100 2cell lipos for a total of 4200mah. runtime is STUPID long.

wheels EXTRA narrow HPI 2.2's for some touring car. (only 30 something mm wide). Masher 2k's foamless with the center tread chopped and re-glued my own special way. :? ? :-P i think it works pretty good for the Ohio rocks.

lemma know watcha think... hopefully have some pics on the rocks up by late Sunday (non stop rain here in N.E. Ohio last 4days and supposed to continue thru to Sun :? )
Attached Images

WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default few more...

Attached Images

Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default and the neked pics...

oh yeah please dont mind the body work-- i SUCK with painting and have no good patience when it comes to painting shells. the flat black on the fendor wells is complete free hand with one of those sponge/foam brushes ---- NO masking! so actually not TOO shabby i don't think. and the doors well that was just an experiment gone sorta ok i guess? not sure how i feel about it yet. but i just like the look of the Rubi shell, either way....

pic on this page with the Moab XL's under the Masher's is before she was all done... but included it to give you a good comparison of size... Moab XL's Huge compared.
Attached Images

Last edited by WRXronald; 05-16-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

that looks good, i especially like the body. clean work.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #5

nice job
mike reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks good!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default ...

thanks all...

you should see it with the XL's mounted up... looks HILARIOUS! like some stumpy wheelbase clod MONSTER Jeep rig.... maybe i'll mount 'em and post a pic for ya all.. worth a good laugh. actually i may try it on the rocks like that just for the heck of it... be interested to see what happens with GIANT tires and a comparatively oober-short wheelbase.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #8

looks very good!!!!!!!!!!!
frost89434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Ron, nice to hear you like the chassis

i´ve build a short wb too , for my son

he likes the old Clod body
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:45 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default ...

yeah that's sweet... i do like the old clod body as well. its fairly 'wide' if i remember correctly---- along with the rubicon body, width was important to try and get out over the tires as much as possible. i like the proline ford and chevy old-school shells, but they just are not as wide i don't think.

anyways, thanks for the comments all . action shots in few days...