Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: ALF2 and the History of Alf (TONS of pics).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ALF2 and the History of Alf (TONS of pics).

I actualy started building this truck last summer-some of you may remember it It was the first truck to use a "torsion" style shockless suspension, and also the first truck to have no flex on a later version.

Here's what it started out as:

Then came this:

Tweaked on that version a bit:

Got under the Knuckle batterys and a new set of wheels and tires for a trip to Bucks Pocket and Aubies (jeep body was slapped on to protect the electronics from some insain rolls).

And some more tweaking:

Finnaly tore the entire truck down after a trip to falls of the Ohio with the TSC guys because the whole truck was just getting worn out. And uhhh...I had a problem with cheap hardware

I almost decided to sell it at one point untill JB told me about a unique new chassie he had been working on using the origonal torsion conecept I was origonally developing with the first version of the truck. So I completely rebuilt the axles with all new hardware and refurbished all of my old electronics. I also finnaly went to quarter scale servos.

This is what we came up with:

Anna liked it

Specs as of now:
Clod Axles with TTR CVDS, GPM Knuckles, CMR Adj. Motor mounts.
"Pimp Cane" Chassie by JB with built in Quarter scale servo mounts. Uses the lower section of a G-made link mount to attach the backbone to the axle (back bone connects at two points).
Proline Giant tracs on 40 series outbacks (can you say rarest wheel/tire combo EVER? ).
Dual Novak Rooster speed controls (setup for dig stearing)
Futaba 4ch FM radio system.
Hitech 805bb stearing servo's.

Bout it-hope you like

Last edited by Highmark; 05-25-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Thats a killer a$$ setup, And it works awesome!! I wanna drive that booger the next time I come over to Green river!
juggalo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

Not bad...

I think heavy needs a bigger tree to hide behind
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pretty sick set up. But can it do digs?

Any issues w/ not using any links what so ever? Looks like it would really stress the plastic on the axle at the two mounting points.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
CSR
RCC Addict

I've seen this thing in action, it works! Amazing how something so simple can work so effectively. ;)

Was I the only one that didn't get a picture of my truck taken with Anna?:-(
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Pretty sick set up. But can it do digs?

Any issues w/ not using any links what so ever? Looks like it would really stress the plastic on the axle at the two mounting points.

I thought the same thing about stressing the axle case plastic, but I am the one who came up with this particular design, and I have been running it for three months, and Highmark has been running his for approximately one month. Neither of us have broken anything to date, and we've beat the holy horse chit out of them trying to break them and they just seem to get better. The one thing that I like about this chassis more than any other is on a shockless, linkless truck, it is very predictable and I don't think that people will understand what I mean till you drive one. They work awesome and are ubber simple. Like on mine and Highmark's, I have the new 1/4 scale mounts made into the back bone for support.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys

Here's how the backbone attaches to the axles:

The whole truck has really been an extended problem solving process, "How do you get something to perform at a level, yet still be as simplistic and reliable as possible". I've used alot of ideas from the Arizona guys (Grover, Kevin...ect. they raise them smart over there) and stuff I've picked up at SERCRC events to get it where it is now.

My next project will be lowering the quarter scales down onto the axle tubes by eleminating the stock braces. Then more tuning with weight on the knuckles
Old 05-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Nice job!

Truck looks nice (even better with that "Anna" girl holding it....... ;) )

I like the torsion-style suspension. It's been used successfully for years in the european RC "Trials-Truck" scene, so it's nice to see someone adopt it to a more "hardcore" North American crawler.
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark

more tuning with weight on the knuckles
Have you run knuckle packs with that backbone yet?

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIBEGuy
Nice job!

Truck looks nice (even better with that "Anna" girl holding it....... ;) )

I like the torsion-style suspension. It's been used successfully for years in the european RC "Trials-Truck" scene, so it's nice to see someone adopt it to a more "hardcore" North American crawler.
Thanks!

I had no idea they've been used in Europe on smaller trucks, might have to do some research to see how they did it (never know-might learn something).

Anna is the host of Inside R/c on The Outdoor network ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
Have you run knuckle packs with that backbone yet?

Chad-
Nope, haven't had the chance, right now the batterys are positioned to be more balanced than anything (offset the weight of the servos). So my next step will either be knuckle packs or some form of plate attached to the alum. knuckles that I can add lead too to tune the COG.

Right now I'm considering mounting the batterys on the rear knuckles so that I can tune the amount of weight in the front with lead and hopefully keep the truck balanced.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Highmark; 05-25-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Have a close up of this from a different angle?
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Anna is the host of Inside R/c on The Outdoor network ;)

Right now I'm considering mounting the batterys on the rear knuckles so that I can tune the amount of weight in the front with lead and hopefully keep the truck balanced.

Any thoughts?
The Outdoor Channel. ;)

Fishmaxx will dissagree with me, but from my experimentation with adding weight, I've found weight on the rear to greatly hinder climbing ability. I ran 12 cells on my Stick for a little while, 3 on each knuckle. Climbs that I could make with ease with only 6 cells on the front knuckles were now virtually impossible with the extra weight on the rear. Experiment with it yourself, you may like having some weight on the rear for a better balance..... I put everything on the front, though.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Have a close up of this from a different angle?

He better not post pics of how I built it till the chassy is released or I will gut him with his own tounge.

Last edited by syco133; 05-25-2006 at 11:20 PM.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Dez, nope I think that's every-single picture I've ever taken of the truck

Chris,

I've found the same thing playing with my truck, since Crawlfest2 I've added some BB's to the front and it climbs so much better it's spooky- it just goes down the same inclines alot worse

But on the same token it seems to work for you hu?

I guess what I really need to do is set the truck up to do inclines and learn to compensate for the downward sections with driving.

practice practice practice.....
Old 05-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dez, nope I think that's every-single picture I've ever taken of the truck

Chris,

I've found the same thing playing with my truck, since Crawlfest2 I've added some BB's to the front and it climbs so much better it's spooky- it just goes down the same inclines alot worse

But on the same token it seems to work for you hu?

I guess what I really need to do is set the truck up to do inclines and learn to compensate for the downward sections with driving.

practice practice practice.....
Or go brushless and use the DRAG BRAKE! I think I'm going to get one of these and try it out.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You read my mind.

I want to try it-just not during the middle of the points series. It will take me at least 6 mouths to get it working!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You read my mind.

I want to try it-just not during the middle of the points series. It will take me at least 6 mouths to get it working!
I hear you! What's the wheel base? Have you ran different wheel bases? Did it make any difference? I'm currently running a 17 inch WB and I really like it.

Last edited by dezfan; 05-25-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

A torsion truck that is grossly out of balance(biased to heavily towards the nose)will have poor decending charictoristics that a traditional stick(with the same weight distribution)may not. One way around that is to add float to the chassis.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Dez, mines right at 17-seems to work well with the hieght of the tires

Chad, would you mind describing, or linking me to a post that descibes "float"? I've never heard that terminology used before. I'd appreaciate it
Old 05-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dez, mines right at 17-seems to work well with the hieght of the tires

Chad, would you mind describing, or linking me to a post that descibes "float"? I've never heard that terminology used before. I'd appreaciate it
Ditto! :-?