Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: First RC Crawler is a Tuber .... pics Dec 28th *FINISHED*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default First RC Crawler is a Tuber .... pics Dec 28th *FINISHED*

Well I've been searching the site constantly for probably the last week and I just acquired a Clod in pieces from Snakeman (for a set of used 30" BFG's that he needs for his Sami) so I decided to get it running by just diving right in and making a Tuber out of it. Should be intersting since I haven't messed around with RC's for 15 years......... I'm hoping I don't have to put a lot of money into it (mostly electronics since I don't have any of that anymore and those items add up fast) to get it running, but time will tell.

Heres what I did tonight. Not bad for about 1 hour of CAD work and 4 hours of bending, cutting, welding and grinding. I figured I would just weld it since I have the knowledge and the equipment. Maybe my next one with be brazed. I'm thinking about having it powder coated to hide some of the welds, but I'm not sure about that. Still got a long ways to go... Just wanted to show off my progress.

BTW I know one tire is on different from the others and the chassis is tilted funny because its balancing on those little poly bushings.

So how did I do so far??? I feel not to bad for a N00B.....

4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My first RC Crawler is going to be a Tuber....

nice work. I've been working on a tuber too. I doubt it'll come out that nice though.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I forgot to add this....Heres the specs of it so far...

15.5" Wheelbase
4.75" of Belly clearance
3/16" Dia Brake Tubing
1/8" Dia Solid round bar

I'm also amazed at how rigid the chassis feels so far.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice tuber. I need to get started on one soon too.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Nice job.....good looking chassis.

BTW....powdercoat really won't hide much as it's not super thick and
it can't be touched up (if you're gonna be playing with it in the rocks).

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Great to see you on here Rick!!!

That tuber looks nice! Now for all the other fun and pricey stuff! Any questions PM me ;) But I know you know to use the search function as well
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the complaments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy
Nice job.....good looking chassis., Jay
Thanks for all the details you've provided on your web site! That made the design stage go pretty fast!!!! Copying is the best form of flattery, right.... Well I've made a few changes.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk6/rcs...d6/clod6_2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave

That tuber looks nice! Now for all the other fun and pricey stuff! Any questions PM me ;) But I know you know to use the search function as well
Again, Thanks and I'm amazed at just how many 1:1 crawlers are on here. I guess it goes with the sport! And thanks for the offer on picking your brain. So my first question is: "Wheres the Clod FAQ" !?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Quote:

Again, Thanks and I'm amazed at just how many 1:1 crawlers are on here. I guess it goes with the sport! And thanks for the offer on picking your brain. So my first question is: "Wheres the Clod FAQ" !?
Its coming... I just recently got my mod privlages, so I can make something and sticky it. Its in the works! Now if people will read it

EDIT: I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses MDF topped workbenches for laying out stuff on!

EDIT2: Check the sig if you wanna support RCC and win some parts for your clod (the raffle is 90% clod parts)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
....I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses MDF topped workbenches for laying out stuff on!....
Actually if I remember right, I believe its 3/4 plywood w/ cardboard on top(in spots.) I got lucky and scored a piece of 3/4 finished plywood for free for my hobby workbench.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:34 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I am diggin those groovy curtains man

The frame is very nice.

I built my tube frame to that point in 4-5 hours also. That was the easy part. Mounting you links, shocks, etc has taken 4-5 hours and I am still not finished

What program did you use to produce the scale drawings?

Could be a good side business Come up with some design, and sell the scale drawings.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx
Could be a good side business Come up with some design, and sell the scale drawings.

Yeah.. Rick would get Sky into this stuff..... Then it'd be all over for us little guys Unless Rick would want to help the local RC Crawling business

You can already see some of the stuff Rick has help design at http://www.sky-manufacturing.com

Rick does top notch fab work. His time and patience works well to produce nice stuff, his Runner is proof. I won't be surprised if he gets in a bit deeper into the RC crawling world then what he wants/thinks. It's just as addicting as 1:1 building....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #12
06 Super National Champ

Looks good, Rick!

What's the story on the SAS Track/Kick on the Sky website? Is that the Calmini SAS or one you guys are working on? From the color of it I'm guessing it's Ed Bewley's.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
.....I won't be surprised if he gets in a bit deeper into the RC crawling world then what he wants/thinks. It's just as addicting as 1:1 building....
BINGO! We have a winner! I belive that also Toyofast!

Also, Toyofast, there is a local guy in our area that has a 2ft X 2ft cnc burn table, making chassis and or other parts would be a breeze for him. He's reasonably priced too!

Interested? e-mail me and I can get his info to you!

Jeff
Old 12-12-2004, 09:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am diggin those groovy curtains man
You would be surprized at how many comments I get on those curtains! My mother in-law made them for my previous residence and when we bought the house, I decided the garage was a good place for them!

Quote:
What program did you use to produce the scale drawings?
AutoCAD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyofast
You can already see some of the stuff Rick has help design at http://www.sky-manufacturing.com

Rick does top notch fab work. His time and patience works well to produce nice stuff, his Runner is proof. I won't be surprised if he gets in a bit deeper into the RC crawling world then what he wants/thinks. It's just as addicting as 1:1 building....
Thanks, But time will only tell on how involved I get.....

First I got to get this built and running, hopefully don't break my budget.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
First I got to get this built and running, hopefully don't break my budget.
Finish and sell your prerunner project, then you'll have the money to do it right the first time!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

look really nice man.

now all it needs is a tranny, shafts, and a real set of axles.

J/k to each his own
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman
Finish and sell your prerunner project, then you'll have the money to do it right the first time!
I've got the Mud for it, You just have to come over and spread it on and sand it down. I can take over after that!
Old 12-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #18
CSR
RCC Addict

This place is starting to look like the Toyota section at Pirate4x4! Welcome Rick! Your toob chassis looks sweet.

Nice curtains, BTW.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:38 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've got the Mud for it, You just have to come over and spread it on and sand it down. I can take over after that!
I can't find the time to work on my own projects, hence you getting the clod pieces, let alone come to your place to help! Notice you still have my GTA San Andreas! I don't even have time to play it!

I am getting going on the sami axles. Hopefully have them ready for the new pads this weekend! Then I'll have to mud so you'll weld them on for me!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

That sounds like a good deal..... you Mud and sand on the Pre-runner and I'll weld on the Sami for ya. As for GTA SA, I think I need to hide that until you get the sami driveable again ...

Got some more work done on the Tuber. Heres how I modified the stock clod tires. Should work for now since I'm on a tight budget.

Then I decided to try another challenge and mount the servos between the axle and the motor. really wasn't to bad once I figured out a simple mount. These are just some cheap servos that came with the project so they will get replaced with some High Torque ones in the near future.

I also got the rear links mounted. Its not pretty, but it will work for my first crawler. Also I wish I made them longer. Oh well, live and learn right. Also these stock friction shocks have no travel at all! So those will have to be swapped out for some that I can actually get some travel out of.

Then I got the front axle all assemblied and now its time to figure out the front links and shock mounting locations. I also need to order some electronics....

You can also see in the above picture that I had to tweak the link next to the motor for a bit more clearance fo rthe end of the motor and the drag link. Should be fine now, just looks a bit weird. Everyone gots to learn somewhere, Right.