Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My FJ-40 NN Buildup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My FJ-40 NN Buildup

I'm Finally getting started on this bad boy and will try to keep it up to date as I work on it. Between summer school and work, most of the progress will be during the weekends. I'm new to this so this so I'm going to try to make the buildup something that anyone new like me can follow and build their own Clod.
First off is my shopping list...

- NN Chassis
- Hot Bodies Threaded Shocks
- TQ3 Controler with rear steer
- Adjustable Motor Mounts
- 55 Lathe Motors
- 9 & 8 Tooth Pinions
- Clod Axles
- Hitec HS-645MG Steering Servos
- Tekin Rebel 2 ESC
- Moab 40 Series XLs
- Proline Commando BeadLocks
- Wheel Adapters
- Dean Plugs
- 1800mah 9.6V Battery

Everything can be found at TheCrawlerStore.com and TowerHobbies.com except the battery which I will probably get off of ebay.
I will be using a FJ-40 body that I will probably have Nluvwithxlr8ing paint for me since I don't have the experience or equipment in my apartment. The rims will also be narrowed and dyed black. So far I have the NN chassis assembled and just recieved the axles today so they are going together and I am waiting on the JB to dry as I type this.
If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know. For the most part all my parts are here but I am waiting to order the last few things to get this rolling. I would like to thank Dezfan for his help and anyone else who answered my questions. This rig will be just for fun as I don't know of any comps that are held out here. I've always wanted a clod and after building up a nylint I figured I needed to stop jacking around and build me a clod. I'm hoping to have my clod resemble my 1:1 FJ-40 and take both of them wheeling...no down time waiting on broken jeeps
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Old 06-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Little progress this weekend. Got the axles all put together and the servos mounted. Ordered the battery, reciever, and wheels/tires tonight. Still waiting on the lathes, tower still shows them to be out of stock :-(
Pictues are a little blurry but thats because the camera was free from my brother and it has only been dropped a few dozen times

Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
Im Brandon

Looks like an awesome start man!! Let me know when you want me to start on that body
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Me too. I want to see the Body when you get it.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Got the last of the parts in. Started to strip the wheels of their chrome to make them more of a bling bling black Wheel adapters installed, had to wollow out the holt on the big fiberglass washer, but luckly its soft material.
For the reciever, do I plug the ESC into B, 1, 2, or 3? Also, I got this from TCS, and it came with a small board with a red toggle on it, what is this for?
I'll get some more pictures up this afternoon.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Im Brandon

servo goes into 1, esc goes into 2. not sure about the switch
Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Do I need to spice both servos together to go into 1 or is it front servo into 1, esc into 2, rear servo into 3. Or switch the rear servo and esc? Guess I can plug it in and try it out once everything is wired.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
Do I need to spice both servos together to go into 1 or is it front servo into 1, esc into 2, rear servo into 3. Or switch the rear servo and esc? Guess I can plug it in and try it out once everything is wired.
Rear servo goes into 3, as long as you have a 3 channel radio setup for rear steer you should have no problems.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The board with a switch from TCS sounds like the switch to mod a TQ3 to have the 3rd channel operate a servo. Normally, you can make the 3rd channel servo go full left or full right. The 3 position switch from TCS allows you to have a neutral point so you can use the 3rd channel for steering (full left, center, and full right).

Another note: channel 1 is steering, 2 is throttle, and 3 is auxillary (normally used for changing from forward to reverse on nitros). Negative wire on servo/esc/batt leads goes to the outside of the receiver case.
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I got the modded controler from them which already has the small toggle switch that has the center neutral point. This is a bigger red toggle that is either on or off?
I mounted the axles and shocks along with placed the battery, ECS, and reciever. Removed the chrome from the wheels and have them cut down. Just need to clean them up and glue them back together. I'll get the pics up tomorrow as my fingers are way to sore after sawing through the rims
Old 06-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

just hook it up and test, simple!
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Maybe I'll get pics up tonight...school takes up too much time :-P
Wheels are narrowed, dyed, and tires are mounted on them. They look sharp
I was originally going to run a 15.5" wheelbase but I moved the rear link back one notch to hit 16". Running about a 60/40, trying to keep the weight up front. I think I charged the battery, if I didn't mess that up. Still waiting on the stupid lathe motors though. All I have left is to figure out where I'm going to mount the body and get it over to Nluvwithxlr8ing for painting. Then its just a matter of waiting on the motors, wiring them up, calibrating esc, and go wheeling
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Finally some pictures.
The last picture is of that red switch I was wondering about.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I really like the way the wheels came out. I think they'll look sharp with the body painted up. I cancelled my order with TowerHobies on the 55t lathes and got a pair of them off ebay. Tried to go to the local HobbieTown USA but they went out of busiwax without calling me.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #16
Im Brandon

Looks awesome man! Its coming together very nicely.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I'm going to paint it white like my big boy FJ-40. I was thinking about painting the rings red to match the longfield beadlocks on my cruiser but I'm sure I would screw that up. I really like how your polished rings came out on yours, was planning on that until I saw how they looked with the orange.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

That toggle switch looks like the stock switch out of the TQ3 that was replaced. The truck looks like it will be sweet! Good work.
trevorsride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I had a feeling it had to do with something like that. It worked without it so it couldn't be too important...right
Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I like what I see so far. Looks like you are ready to start setting up the body. I run the same basic setup, thought you may be interested to see how I ended up trimming the FJ-40 body.

Where and how are the ESC and receiver going to be mounted?

Looking forward to seeing the final outcome.
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote