Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: the start of a backyard crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default swamp_rat crawler..NEW pics page 5!!!!

well since i got everything finaly working right(thanks to you that helped), i figured id post pics of my stock rig..first off i noticed..it cant do much of anything stock, my 1:18 nylint crawls better ATM, untill i lock the diffs(need someone to tell me exactly where to put the jb/hot glue) and get the CPE Evo chassis..sorry about the quality, only thing i have right now is a web cam, will post better pics in the pic thread soon

one question about the chassis kit, i dont need 4ws so im locking it, but if i want the top link mounts, would i have to get a axle servo mount for the front servo?
nylint has good articulation thanks to a simple no cost mod ..now just to get the clod to do the same and actualy be able to climb

Last edited by swamp_rat; 07-12-2006 at 04:49 PM.
swamp_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Here are the parts I locked. I locked the inner bevel gears and axle gears to the main gear. I used CA8 super glue though but JB weld works great also.

NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well im fed up with the cheap crappy stock parts, the MSC keeps acting up every once in a while, and for some damn reason a batt doesnt last me long (is it normal for a batt to get hot, its a 7.2 NICD Nikko batt, i have another 6cell batt with in my brothers rc car thats 7.2)....i figured if i wanna make a crawler i wanna do it right the first time, thats where you come in..i really dont wanna spend too much on it, which is why i keep on reading the how to's on links and all that stuff (mom works at lowes so i might be lucky enough to get stuff from there to help me)...if i get the CPE chassis center (or a chassis center from ebay or some other place), that would be the right link side and length for a 14"wb? and will i need a axle servo mount for the front?(locking the back), i would like to here from yall the best things to use and where to get them!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You should really do yourself a favor, and get an ESC and some hobby-grade packs. An MSC isn't very efficient, so you aren't going to get great runtimes to begin with. And I am guessing that Nikko pack is is built with fairly low capacity AA cells.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

so, according to the "how to build a clod crawler"..the tekin rebel 2 is the cheapest ESC?..the MSC craps out alot, like today, it stopped running on ground, picked it up the wheels and steering moved, but on ground it had no power at all? the nikka pack says 1600mAH...i might look into building my own chassis and links and stuff since it'll be cheaper and i dont wanna spend too much on this..in about 2 weeks ill order a tekin rebel and hopefuly that'll solve the retardation of it ...untill i fix the bugs, get the locking diffs to stay locked, and upgrade the chassis, i'll just have to play with my 1:18 crawler(goes farther than the clod right now)
Old 06-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

the rebel 2 is not the cheapest by a long shot, the Moped has been getting alot of attention though, so you might want to look in to that, i have one, but havent tried it yet
Techball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

what type of radio you using if its am thats probably the problem do you know what brand the battery is or tested a different one in it
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

whats the basic length width hight of a chassis? i plan on making my own but i wanna be sore i get enough meterial, mom works at lowes, and since i wont be doing anything harsh, ill prolly do it with plaxi-glass and rienforce the plexi with something..and for links, whats the average link length for a 14-16" wheelbase?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ok, got a huge sheet of aluminum under the shed, i cut a piece to show you guys, this stuff is hard to bend with a hammer, so im sure it'll be good for a chassis..first pic i have a piece of 6-32 threaded rod next to it for comparison in thickness..

plate is dirty, i know, i have a huge sheet under my shed, so all i really need are great ideas and the average deminsions
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ok, got bored, didnt feel like buying or making a servo mount, so i busted out the dremel and mounted the steering servo on the stock axel brace, fits well..

still drawing up ideas and designs for the chassis...i came up with one, but im not sure if its got enough space for everything..i guess this can be my cheap backyard crawler build up thread? so far the only money i spent was the 6-32 rod from lowes...

edit: that rod that goes from the nuckle to the servo was made with one of the screws from taking it apart..lol
Old 06-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

got both sides of the chassis cut out and the holes drilled, just gotta finish cleaning the holes and the plate up, need someone to give me the average with of a aftermarket chassis for the battery trey and the support rods and all

tell me that yall think..it isnt perfect like a chassis you can buy, but hell, i dont have access to everything they do, all i got are metal siccors, dremel, grinder, drill and the normal household tools, to be it came out atleast decent
Old 06-17-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

U have yet to make some mounts for the upper links ;)

Last edited by crawl rookie; 01-01-2008 at 04:44 AM.
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i might make some top link mounts today, i already made a reciever holder thinger...im not sure if i wanna continue with the chassis or take insparation from grizzly's moded stock chassis clod..ill see how the chassis works out, sure onces its done ill prolly stick with it, cause either way i gotta wait for some rod and rod ends for the links..just please...someone gotta measure the width of their chassis, untill then im stuck because i dont wanna make it too skinny or too wide. i locked the rear steering, was the simplest mod so far besides mounting the servo
Old 06-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

No no no i mean that u still have to drill some holes in the chassi for the upperl links.
U get me now
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

yeh i get you, but i got about 2-3 weeks to finish everything, so yeh, i got time, lol..ill get to it once i get the stuff for the links and make em
Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

locked the rear steering! was pretty simple..

FINALY, someone gives me measurements! thanks alot dezfan!..i still have a HUGE amount of that aluminum sheet, its atleast the length of my moms focus, not much more skinnier either....ill see to make the skid out of aluminum unless it aggravates me, then on to plastic cutting board..good thing about this aluminum, after i get everything together, clean up the edges, and shine that sucker up!..im looking at a set of HPI Split 5 2.2 wheels and some 2.2 imex swamp dogs to go along with them, my question..would the 2.2s just bolt on to the stock axel with no modding? im too cheap to buy the emaxx adapters, then rims then tires, lol

Edit: ill only be crawling up dirt hills and such, thats all louisiana is anyways, so the swamp dogs should work for me

Last edited by swamp_rat; 06-18-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

since my b-day is weds (the 21st) and i have $57 so far and imma get more, gunna get a cheap digi cam, anythings better than this crappy webcam, so i'll grace you with better images of the build up!, lowes needs to get some friikin 1/4" aluminum rod in stock so i can make the lower/upper links, im ordering the rod ends soon (traxxas rod ends)..for some odd reason, im thinking about getting the Parma Skool Bus e-maxx body and have me a crawling bus, lmao..read on a site a loooong time ago how to paint the carbon fiber look on rc bodies, so i'll prolly do that to make it look cool, lol

oh yeh, if yall are wondering, i'll be turning an amazing.......16

Last edited by swamp_rat; 06-18-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

happy birth day, i'll be turning 16 in august.

this will save you some money for the upper link mount on the axle.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

got the batt trey/skid done almost..started off as one of those diecast car stand things, lol..its exactly 2 1/4" wide, so it should work good..yes its plastic, im reinforcing the sides with aluminum so it wont bend and such..the battery fits perfect in there..those things you see on the end came from the step rails from the nylint..seemed to be usedful, lol
Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

got the chassis mocked up so you guys can get a idea(thanks to double sided 3M tape)..tomorrow=going pay a visit to napa and autozone for brakeline for the links. order the rod ends and the moped later this month or the first week of july

everything lines up good, the top of the sides are a even 2 1/4" apart . the letters are to remind me what side each plate is and which way they face, lol