Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 4-Link Vs. 3-Link setup???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 4-Link Vs. 3-Link setup???

I've biult 2-3 4-linked clod based crawlers, and I just got through biulding a Stick type chassis for a friend... (Kevin, thats a HARD chassis to biuld, lol).

My Question is: If you triangulate the lower links, would there still be a need for the 2 upper links? or could I use a 3-Link set-up to simplify the biuld alittle... the 1 upper link would only control the caster stance of the axle and not hold it from moving side to side.

What do yall think?
Jake
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

If it's a true "wishbone" three link then it would work fine...but if your talking about just a straight bar upper link as the third link then I don't think there would be enough to keep the axle centered under the vehicle and you'd need a panhard/track bar.

This is at least what I would suggest on a 1:1 rig, as far as if it would still apply to the small scale or matter as much...I don't know.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yea, thats what I was thinking... maybe I'll just stick to a 4-link setup... If I used a track bar, I'd be right back to 4-links, lol

Later,
Jake
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Actually a properly done one link wishbone setup would be very stable and consistant. the one link would attach to the frame in one location, and the axle in 4 locations. then a trackbar to center under the rig.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Honestly in my opinion...trackbars are crap I own a Jeep and that's the first thing that's gettin' changed when the new axles go under it....no trackbar...goin' all 4 link baby.

Just go with the tried and true 4-link. Really the only reason people go with 3 link wishbone setups on 1:1 rigs is due to space restrictions...like on a front end, where an oil pan would be in the way of a typical 4 link.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote