Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My First Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #1

Default My First Crawler

Well here is my first attempt at building a chassis from scratch and my first crawler all together. I started out with a clod kit and ran that for awhile till finally completing my chasis. It has been a slow and long process, but let me know what you guys think! I still need to get some better parts, but it works well for now!

Stats:
Clod Axels
Locked front and rear
55 turn lathes
9 tooth pinions
Futaba radio and receiver
2.2 Moabs
Tekin Rebel 2 ESC
Futaba S3003 Servos (High torque servos to come soon)

Some Pics

All Criticism is appreciated...just dont beat me up too bad!!!
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. I have thing to point out. You have your wheelbase way to long for those wheels and tires. What is your W/B at? I either shorten the W/B to 12.5 or runn bigger meats. Other than that is doesn't looks to bad. You did a good job on using what you had to build a chassis.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

nice build with what you have. looks like a cost friendly build. the only thing that i would recommend besides what is stated above about the wheel base is that you fix your upper links and cause the motor cans to move upwards more and allow better clearance for the motors. it looks that way to me but it just may be the pics and my eyes
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #4

Thanks for your input guys. The reason I went with the smaller wheels and tires is that I had innitially planned on building something more scale. I changed my mind about mid build! I will be getting some larger tires and shortening the wheelbase some. As it sits it is around a 16.5" wb. I also agree that the links need changed to rotate the motors up some more. As time and money permits, I will upgrade and improve as much as I can! I had to fab up all of the parts for link and servo mounts, and plan on improving them as soon as I get some better material. I just used what I had so that I could try it all out! Thanks again for your suggestions! Anyone have any other ideas!?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #5

A couple more pics

Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If your getting bigger meats I would leave it at the 16.5" WB. Also was wondering why your running a rec bat. pack when the TR2 has a 6 vlt/ 5 amp bec? Wich is plenty enough to run dual servos. But for what you have it looks like a great starting point.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
Also was wondering why your running a rec bat. pack when the TR2 has a 6 vlt/ 5 amp bec? Wich is plenty enough to run dual servos. But for what you have it looks like a great starting point.
Longer run time.

Good start, I looks like it would make a cool 2.2, so if you have to modify your links anyway, why not shorten it?

Cheers
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice , way better start then my first build , i agree with leaving at 16.5 wb and get bigger tires, how about bringing the body down a little also? unless you like it that way
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #9

Hey guys. In answer to some of your questions...I have a rec pack because on the stock clod without the rec pack the truck would run away when the main battery got low, so i put on the rec pack...but that was with a MSC...will the ESC change that? Also, the body is deffinately higher than i want it...my body posts are attatched to a chunck of wood right now, once i get home, i will make better mounts and lower the body down some more...fabrication is tough in my dorm room! Thanks again for all the advice and input!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
I lost my vendor privileges

i agree stick with the wheelbase and get some tires. not trying to steal you rthread but heres mine. 17-1/4 wheelbase.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #11

Looks nice clod stall...are those tires/wheels narrowed...or are they stock. The other thing i liked about the 2.2s is that they arent as wide as most clod tires. Yours look like they fit nice though.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman
Hey guys. In answer to some of your questions...I have a rec pack because on the stock clod without the rec pack the truck would run away when the main battery got low, so i put on the rec pack...but that was with a MSC...will the ESC change that? Also, the body is deffinately higher than i want it...my body posts are attatched to a chunck of wood right now, once i get home, i will make better mounts and lower the body down some more...fabrication is tough in my dorm room! Thanks again for all the advice and input!
Your rig shouldn't run away from you now with the ESC, It would with the MSC cause battery would get low and your servo for the MSC would stay where ever it died at and cause it to keep going.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
Trying to have Fun Again

It look's like your running the stock motors. You need to get the lathe motor in there.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 AM   #14

yeah, stock motors were in for those pictures, lathes are going in today...as soon as my buddy brings over his soldering iron...hard to keep ALL of my tools in my dorm room! I didnt know for sure how the runaway thing would work with the esc...i kind of figured it wouldnt but didnt want to find out the hard way...thanks, i will be ditching the rec pack!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Once you get the lathes on there even if it did runaway, it would be at a fast walking pace.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #16

Good call unholy, i didnt really think of that. Well, i should be wiring them up this afternoon...Should i wire them in series or parallel? Right now i have it wired in series...any input? My understanding is that series gives you more torque and longer run times, and parallel is faster speeds and shorter run times. But with the 55t motors, should i go with parallel to keep some wheel speed?! Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Hmmmm. I've been meaning to ask this for a while, which one is series and which one is parallel? Which one is this?

Cheers 8-)
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #18

That set up looks like its wired in series to me...I went with parallel, because in series i notticed that the rear would stall ALOT...much more than when i had it in parallel...but that may just be me. I put in my 55t lathes and wow! What a difference they make. My rig crawls much better! I have to get some funds fogether for some new wheels and skins...maybe out of my paycheck on friday!