Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Quick Diff Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #1

Default Quick Diff Lock

I used Clear RTV Silicon the first time to lock the diffs. That lasted for a while until I went to the top of Mt. Spokane and did some real rock crawling. I quickly broke the silicon loose on the front diff. Rear seams to be just fine however. It takes less of the load anyway.
Here is what I found when I took it apart. Bunch of chewed up silicon on both sides of the case.

----------------------------
So a quick drawing in ACAD and .dxf import into my little CNC mill:

Seems to work good so far. I think the plexy glass will strip or crack eventually but no problem making some out of aluminum. When the rear diff breaks loose I will redesign it a little to.

Put on my stock Clod wheels and tires because I am going to be doing some beach bashing next weekend. Busted some real Clod for 15mins and some pipe hopping. The grass cleans the tires up nicely.
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice job, they remind me of the Inet dif. lockers. If you do make the out of aluminum, you could just tap one side for your screws and not have to use nuts to hold them together.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN
Nice job, they remind me of the Inet dif. lockers. If you do make the out of aluminum, you could just tap one side for your screws and not have to use nuts to hold them together.
That was the plan but the plexy it a little brittle and when I started tapping the hole it was chipping. So I just drilled the holes a little bigger and used nuts with lock washers. Next version will be a little different. Will make some triangle spacers to fit in the spaces and run a bolt all the way through. Polycarb (Lexan) or Delrin would probably work better to tap holes to.
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote