Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: link placement question, and intro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default link placement question, and intro

greetings all!

i'm a total newbie to this rock crawling stuff. i bought a Clod back in 1990 or so and it's been put away for years. i now have two kids (5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son), and my son LOVES anything related to monster trucks (large or small)! so, i happened across this link and here i am.

i had some steel tubing and rod in my garage, and a welder, so i started building up a frame. i don't really care if it's a bit heavier than the fancy aluminum tube frames. it looks like my links will be about 6.5" long with a 15" wheelbase. i see a lot of folks are using an adapter in the stock steering servo-saver mount for the top links, and are running the bottom links at the mounting location for the axle brace (on top of the axle, not underneath). my question is, if i use these same mounting locations, does it cause any undue stress on the axle assembly vs. mounting the bottom link on the bottom side of the axle? i know mounting the links on top gives better clearance. i've been reading through the site for several days to get a feel for things and didn't see this question addressed. my only concern is that i don't want to break anything because the mounting points stress the plastic axle housing too much. this is just a backyard crawler, not a competition machine.

thanks for any replies, and this site KICKS A*@!

andy b.

ps - i'll post a pic when i get it finished in the next few days
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

It won't hurt durability moving the links up on the axles.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Bender,

thanks for the reply! i'm guessing by the "2.2 National Champ!!" note under your name that you know of what you speak. :-P

i'll get the link mounts put on tonight and hopefully come up with a suitable shock placement tomorrow.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b.
Bender,

thanks for the reply! i'm guessing by the "2.2 National Champ!!" note under your name that you know of what you speak. :-P

i'll get the link mounts put on tonight and hopefully come up with a suitable shock placement tomorrow.

andy b.
It was just luck he does know is junk!
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote