Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Stick vs. torsion vs. 4 link. what do ya think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Stick vs. torsion vs. 4 link. what do ya think?

First off i am a newby to the clods, so take it easy on me.
O.K. I have saved up a bunch of parts to finally build my clod. I got all the stuff together and started. I first found my chassis is crap(to thin). Then the links I bought were too short for the WB I want (about 16"-18"). so I put it all together anyway so I would not lose parts and the dang shock are too long to use. So this brings me too my question....
I think I want to use the PIMP CANE, but am unsure of what would be the best way to go.
So in all of your opinions what should I go with. I like the simplicity of the Cane or torsion setup, But what is the difference between the two, Also how would the stick compare the the Cane or torsion chassis or does the 4-link do the best?
I know that it all depends on the drivers prefrence, but I want an unstoppable rock cralwer and can't afford to build 10 of them to figure out which one i like best.
So what do ya think?
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

search through the clod section, there has been someone that asked the same thing
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BIGMAXX-
So in all of your opinions what should I go with. I like the simplicity of the Cane or torsion setup, But what is the difference between the two, Also how would the stick compare the the Cane or torsion chassis or does the 4-link do the best?
I just built a 2.2 TLT Pimp Slap called Ho Cake. I took it out and was able to keep up with my buddies Super Class Clod Stick. I will say, he doesn't have a very good tire wheel combo - BUT....the 2.2 was right up his arse the whole day. The sticks are great - don't get me wrong, but for the money I'd highly recommend starting off with the cane. It's a completely different animal than a traditional 4 link - My opinion is that the Pimp Slap/Cane i a lot more predictible through the terrain, it has an insanely low center of gravity, and is extremely agile in off camber situations. I have a 4 link - there are so many factors regarding the shocks etc that will affect the way the rig handles. The Cane and Slap are simple and they are proven winners (read some of the recent posts). That's just my opinion.

BTW-I am taking my 4 link clod apart tonight because I already have a Pimp Cane on order...arrives this week!
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

get a pimp cane. the link to the review is in my signature.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No need to leave RCC for info on the Pimp Cane.

Just do a search for *Pimp Cane*.

There is plenty of unbiased info to be discovered.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The stick and cane are the best performers, without a doubt, but 4links are far more fun to build, and great fun to drive.

Cheers 8-)
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I still say a good 4 linked tuber can out preform a stick.
On your mark,
Get set,
FLAME!!!!
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

It really depends on terrain, different designs will excel in different settings. I personally like the performance of a properly set-up 4-link.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
MODERHATER™

My nephew has a torsion stick clod and i have a 4 link clod.

Same tires.

Same center clearance.

Same gearing.

We both agree the 4 link is a better setup.

My .02 worth.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

They can peform equally well. It depends on the driver. I like torsion stuff.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info so far. I'm leaning towards the torsion for its ease and of how simple it is. I think I'll go with it and maybe do a 4-link when I have more time and am not so eager to get it done NOW!!!
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Pimp Cane All the way!
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I use a torsion chassis (pretty much a pimp cane but some anal people on this site got mad at me for me saying I made a homemade pimp cane), and it owns. I would search the vendors section and get a pimp cane (if you dont want to make your own)
Bronco Fetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 AM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

Well here is my 2 cents worth of crap to add.

I run a TCS stick for my super and own a 2.2 pimp cane and have had the 4link setups also. Each design has its' good points and its' bad points, no matter what design it is. The simplicity of the pimp cane is very nice. I love being able to carry a tire over some things, while other designs would allow the tire to drop in the hole. As Thatcher(hannibal) stated, the pimp cane is very cheap also. it has great center clearance and allows you to keep your CoG low as well. One thing that I just do not like about the torsion setup, is the fact that it acts like a rubberband(yeah i know that's the design). when putting a left front tire onto a rock, it will allow the rear left tire to spring up in the air and will sometimes cause you to roll over,due to the rear axle just bouncing around.

As for the TCS stick, what is there to say. At our last GR event this past weekend, CSR and myself were in 1st (CSR- 13 points)and 2nd place(TC- 15 points), while Highmark(pimp cane 35 points) was in 3rd place. The stick is a dominating design and continues to win events left and right(nationals also). While others complain because they get stuck on the links, I have very minimal scratches on my links.Alot depends on the driver and tire placement and if he is able to see the lines to take. But, with the TCS stick, it only runs 2 shocks, which i personally feel it didn't give enough dampening. While climbing things, the truck wanted to just flop around. Also with that in mind, if you drop a tire in a hole, the truck tended to bind up pretty bad. I since put in 80wt. oil in the shocks and added fuel tubing to the shock shafts. With those couple mods done, it makes a huge improvement on those problems.

With a 4 link, there is just alot more things to think about. It is the traditional way to build things and you can never go wrong with that setup. I just don't like the center clearance with a 4 link setup. There are other designs out there that allow you more clearance to allow your crawler to be more unstopable...

You can't build a truck as to what Bender,myself,Thatcher or anyone else likes. You need to just build yourself a truck that YOU want to build.Then work from there and tune out the bugs

That's just my input, so take it for what it's worth- nothing
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

As far as center clearance goes my tuber has more than a stick does and just as low a center of gravity.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
RCC Addict

dont let anyone fool you about a four link or tuber compared to a stick chassis (whether it be a crawlerstore stick or a torsion) cause kamikaze's tuber is very impressive and he held his own against the sticks
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

ive crawled pimp canes and NNs which are 4 link. the center learance is impressive thats for sure. but i prefer the NN, i like 4 link setups. theyre a little more predictable in some situations.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
Well here is my 2 cents worth of crap to add.

I run a TCS stick for my super and own a 2.2 pimp cane and have had the 4link setups also. Each design has its' good points and its' bad points, no matter what design it is. The simplicity of the pimp cane is very nice. I love being able to carry a tire over some things, while other designs would allow the tire to drop in the hole. As Thatcher(hannibal) stated, the pimp cane is very cheap also. it has great center clearance and allows you to keep your CoG low as well. One thing that I just do not like about the torsion setup, is the fact that it acts like a rubberband(yeah i know that's the design). when putting a left front tire onto a rock, it will allow the rear left tire to spring up in the air and will sometimes cause you to roll over,due to the rear axle just bouncing around.

As for the TCS stick, what is there to say. At our last GR event this past weekend, CSR and myself were in 1st (CSR- 13 points)and 2nd place(TC- 15 points), while Highmark(pimp cane 35 points) was in 3rd place. The stick is a dominating design and continues to win events left and right(nationals also). While others complain because they get stuck on the links, I have very minimal scratches on my links.Alot depends on the driver and tire placement and if he is able to see the lines to take. But, with the TCS stick, it only runs 2 shocks, which i personally feel it didn't give enough dampening. While climbing things, the truck wanted to just flop around. Also with that in mind, if you drop a tire in a hole, the truck tended to bind up pretty bad. I since put in 80wt. oil in the shocks and added fuel tubing to the shock shafts. With those couple mods done, it makes a huge improvement on those problems.

With a 4 link, there is just alot more things to think about. It is the traditional way to build things and you can never go wrong with that setup. I just don't like the center clearance with a 4 link setup. There are other designs out there that allow you more clearance to allow your crawler to be more unstopable...

You can't build a truck as to what Bender,myself,Thatcher or anyone else likes. You need to just build yourself a truck that YOU want to build.Then work from there and tune out the bugs

That's just my input, so take it for what it's worth- nothing

I agree, somewhat.

I think that alot of the downfalls of each of the three chassis depend on the terrain and the driver's driving style.

IMO there is very little difference between a properly built Stick, Pimp Cane or 4 link in the hands of a good driver. I would go so far to say CSR would have still won at GR had he been driving my truck, or nearly any other truck there. I guess that's one of the benifits of being the #2 super class driver in the nation.

I've yet to roll my Pimp Cane off any course and be able to blame it on the chassis, it's mostly my poor driving and decision making skills that flip it Just like the stick, I've tuned the weight bias on my truck to counter-act the negative side effects of the torsion design.

Last edited by Highmark; 10-03-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote