Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: my first attempt - 4-link

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my first attempt - 4-link

well this is what i have so far.
here are the bottom links and frame:

and here it is with the axles and shocks on:

that is max articulation (the shocks are bottomed out). they are some old RC10T shocks i had from when i originally built the Clod (i must have 15 of those shocks laying around).

it ended up being right at 17" long with almost 6" clearance. with some electronics and batteries in i set it down to a little under 5". it seems a bit too long and high to me. i'm actually thinking of cutting about 1.5" out of the middle to shorten it. the frame and links are just made from welding 1/4" and 5/16" steel rod i had laying around (since i still suck at trying to braze the brake line tubing). :-P

i still need to mount the steering servos and lock the diffs, and then i'll see how it drives. since i never even drove a rock crawler (RC or otherwise), i don't have much to compare it to. if it seems okay i'll leave it like this for now. not that shortening it would be any trouble. it would probably take 1/2 hour to do it.

the one thing i do need to add is some pieces of rod between the lower link mounts. i was just playing around with how to make them, and after i had it together i realized they would be like big hooks catching any rock i went over. i'm waiting to see if i want to shorten the frame before i do any other mods.

i should also probaly chop off those big loops in the front and back. i had them on there because i didn't know how i was going to mount the shocks. the current setup seems okay, plus i have about 7 or 8 holes to alter the mounting locations, plus some holes to change the link locations.

i'll report back after i get to run it.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I like it. Those links are sweet; lots of adjustability.
I'd throw a skidplate on the bottom too.
redrustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Those links look pretty sturdy! Nice ride.
Galladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I like it. I don't think you should shorten it, just lower it slightly. Let us know how the shocks perform, they look good.

Cue: bunch of n00bs telling you stuff you already know, like "get different tyres" and "get some lathe motors"...

Cheers 8-)
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
I like it. I don't think you should shorten it, just lower it slightly. Let us know how the shocks perform, they look good.

Cue: bunch of n00bs telling you stuff you already know, like "get different tyres" and "get some lathe motors"...

Cheers 8-)
what, you don't like the porcupines on the front?
those babies are from about 1992. i wonder if they still even sell them.

i'm going to go with the 65T lathes and a Tekin Rebel 2 ESC. i haven't decided on tires and wheels yet. i have another pair of original Clod tires and wheels that i will stick on for now.

thanks all for the comments.

i do have a question. what body sizes are most folks running on these? 1/10, 1/8, 1/6, etc.??? my original Clod body looks a bit small stuck on it, and the body from my 1/8 Losi Aftershock actually looks pretty good (especially if i leave the wheelbase as-is).

andy b.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hey you need some different tires and some lathe motors

Just playing, why dont you just finish it by adding a "cab" and run just the tube frame. A few more peices of tube would finish it off. I don't know if you compeat but it would be legal to run without a body that way. It may be legal now, just ugly.

Last edited by Kamikaze; 10-04-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

looks good anyways we need to know your wheel base ? then we can help with the body to run
kaaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Smile

the WB is 17". i think i found a body that will work (and i like), the Pro-Line F-350 4-door crew cab. my kids liked it, mainly because we went to the hobby shop to look for bodies in my 1:1 F-350 crew cab.
that idea of just going with a cab sounds interesting though. i do like the looks of a tube frame. i have to work on my brazing skills to try it though, as one made from all solid rod would start getting heavy. i don't compete, but it doesn't hurt to build something that follows at least some sort of rules.

oh, do you guys think i need different tires and wheels?

andy b.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I think a cab, then a hoop on the back would look pretty cool.

Cheers 8-)
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote