Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: pimp cane or claw chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default pimp cane or claw chassis

I am thinking of upgrading to a new chassis for my clod based crawler on one of these two chassis designs. I currently have a very flexible coil linked design. It works extremely good, but it needs to lose weight and stop bottoming out on the control arms and skid plate.
Both these kits offer great weight saving and clearance upgrades. And their relatively inexpensive and I can reuse pretty much all my stuff from the old chassis.
I have concerns though, about running with out shocks and hardly anyplace for mounting electronics. The pimp cane runs no shocks and and the tires that contact solid ground have full traction. But the articulation it has is less then other chassis on the market. That suspension appears to me it would flip over easy as front to rear directly effects each others suspension performance.
The claw has no shocks also, but has 2 points that control axle movement. Where as 4 shocks would contol 4 points during max flex in compression and extension. The claws type of suspension movement may have 4 tire contact points, but with minimal contact pressure.
After reading my arguements for each, what do you think?
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i was disapointed in the flex of the pimp cane. its a great chassis though. top notch clearance and the lightest, but id go with the claw.

yeah the pimp can over come physics. for every action (front axles artic) there is a equal and opposite reaction (twists rear axle) i noticed that. still a great chassis and design. i just prefer and need allitle more articulation for our huge rocks here in texas.

btw are you from hillsburro TEXAS?
if so check us out TXRCRCA
http://www.planetblur.org/hosted/txr...shard=channels
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Whats you current set up look like? Do you have pic's? Maybe able to help ya out on that first. If it was me. I'd go with the Pimp Cane.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pimp!!! all the way.

You need to allow it to break in a bit. I get plenty of flex out of mine.
Attached Images

FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm finishing up my Pimp Cane right now, and have the TLT Pimp Slap. What I love about them is the simplicity. They are very predictible. There are a few times that I find myself wishing I had more articulation, but then I just slow it down and the let the low COG help me out. Just my 2 cents worth.
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

pimp cane is the only way to go. they flex more as you drive, or you can go with a little longer wheelbase for added flex. i run mine at 18 1/4 inch and it works awesome for me.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Buy a pimp cane if you dont like it or break it I will refund you your money if you will ship it back to me.Beat that for customer service.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Dezfan uses both chassis and can provide good input for both. At least in the case of our Claw chassis, adding some weight to the tires improves the chassis ability to adjust to whatever it's crawling over. I'd expect a similar result if using a torsion type chassis.

In either case, whichever chassis you choose will provide you with a very capable crawler. Good luck!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've used the Claw chassis and I'd have to say it works amazingly well. It is very flexible, allows for Stick like center chassis clearance, it's relatively light weight, durable, and as a package crawls very well.

I haven't have a chance to use my Pimp Cane on the Super yet, but on the 2.2 it gets better every time I use it.

The trick to the PC is using it enough to break the chassis in and allowing the backbone to reach it's full potential.

The one advantage that I see on the PC is the fact that it doesn't require links.

Other than that, both are great crawling platforms!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

PLAYER the only question should be WHO PIMPED WHO !!!! the PIMP's (CANE & SLAP) will PIMP you on the rocks & make you look like you know how to drive if you don't . here is a few pics of my Pimp Slap THE HUSTLER here is 1 of my Vette it is not a PIMP CANE but Syco gave me in put on it before he started selling his .

Last edited by Badd; 10-17-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd
PLAYER the only question should be WHO PIMPED WHO !!!! the PIMP's (CANE & SLAP) will PIMP you on the rocks & make you look like you know how to drive if you don't . here is a few pics of my Pimp Slap THE HUSTLER here is 1 of my Vette it is not a PIMP CANE but Syco gave me in put on it before he started selling his .
i like your style, a first gen camaro, and C6 im a GM man too.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Hillsboro , Oregon
Old 10-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmonger
Hillsboro , Oregon
o sorry to hear that.
yes us texans are a proud bunch
Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd
make you look like you know how to drive if you don't .
What are you trying to say?

I love my Pimp Cane!
I drove a N.N. all year long & never place too well.?.
For sercrc's final comp, I drove my Pimp to 6th place!
It being shock less makes it sooo much more predictable, it also has "torsion" behind it; It'll "pop out" when you have it in a bind.

PLUS+ w/o links to get in the way you have alot more, "between the axle clearance"...

JM.02
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

"ok"
Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Pimp Cane by about a ca-jillion miles.

There was two of them at nationals, mine which got 6th place, and Freetime's which got 7th. Pretty respectable if you ask me. Add that to the fact that I've yet to enter a competition with it and not place in the top ten.

I've been very happy with my truck thus far, I run no weight in the tires and still get plenty of flex, the idea that a torsion rig won't flex is a huge misconception made by alot of people.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

you are right Highmark they will flex . anyone that does not think they will look at this video . My Vette getting twisted . http://media.putfile.com/GTG10-12-06
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Just a speculation I made by looking at the pictures of some of the pimp canes flexing. More videos of the pimp could help disprove my thoughts of it. Also everyone talking about the comps, has the claw entered and ran any of them. And how did the claw perform?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I competed in the last CMRCRC comp w/ the claw, was doing EXTREMELY well until my receiver died.

The Claw crawls really well!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

i couldn't possibly stay out of this one , i own a CLAW, NN and PIMP CANE, i love my PIMP CANE it's so easy to drive, but i like the way the CLAW performs also, i must admit the PIMP CANE has a bl setup while my CLAW has 75 lathes( i should be able to do a head to head on both chassis with the same bl setups by the end of the week). I'am actually undecided as to which one i like better , i will let you guys know when i get my bl for the claw
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote