Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Time for a rebuild, opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #1

Default Time for a rebuild, opinions?

Been a lurker for a while now, aven't had much time to play. Anyway, getting ready to rebuild my clod (again) Making my own chassis, but i got a couple of questions. what link length is everybody ruinning? I'm going for 17-18" wheelbase, and my chassis will probably come out similar to the nn.
Gonna get a set of insanerc's delrins i think here.
As for wheels and tires, I'm still up in the air. All I know is that I don't like the stock clod tires, and Iwant something different than moabs. I know they're good, but they're everywhere! I was thinkking of imex swampers on the new gmade wheels. Sound decent?
I was thinking of bta steering, but I think running the thicker delrin links would give me clearance probs, anybody out there doing this?
coldfire_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default hey

I am the lurker king! I have been an addict of the rocks for three years but only have like ten post! I have three sets of the moabs on three supers and one set on my 2.2. they are very hard to beat for a full size tire
the compound is so soft they grip very well. the only other tire I ever see any one use (if you can find them) is a giant tract by proline. There is a reason that every one has them!!!!!!! They work soo well. 2.2 there are several tires people use besides the moabs mashers2k seem to be the fav. but I see alot or the new red rocks as well. Just think soft !!!!
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Talking

sorry, the swampers I have are very stiff and will not work for me here , might work for you I don't know what kind of rocks you have to run on. I have 17" on two supers and 16" on one ,again you haave to find out what works for you where you will run your truck.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default tires

If you like the looks of the swampers look at the losi lst tires they have good looks and are soft they were the king tires untill the moabs came out
Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #5

The lst's are an option. I'd thought about them for a long time before. The only thing that sucks is that I really like that new gmade clod wheels. Are the Gmade tires any good?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

compared to moabs mashers or xl, no the proline has the better softer compound in stock form, don't get me wrong i like the gmade tires annd wheels, but i think the tires will benefit from a narrower rim to make good use of the side grip, i know i tried mine on hpi 8 spoke truck wheels and the sidewalls really got that extra bite . IMO
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Release your anger..

yeah don't get the lst tires there heavy go with a purpose crawler
tires like moab xls or get some mashers 2ks and narrow those
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #8

ok, i've got another post going for the tire and wheel question, so what length link is everybody running?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

Depends on what chassis your building, Stick? 4 link? 3 link? pimp stick?

5-7 inches of links is what I normally use. Much longer and the truck seems twisty.

There is "no right size" that will give you a performance advantage over a different truck. Being that your truck is custom nobody is running that same setup there for nobody can say what size you need to use. Pull out the tape measure and mock up the chassis to your wheelbase.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfire_76
I want something different than moabs. I know they're good, but they're everywhere!
I feel the same as you... I got into crawling to enjoy it and have something a little different. I am more into something that looks like a truck instead of a branch with some wheels bolted to it.

Let me just say that I have yet to find anything that competes with Giant Tracs. Sure, they're old skool but they still work, ya just gotta keep them soft.

My other fave standbys are stock clod tires with a nice cut and grind added to them. A few hours of dremel makes them nice, soft and grippy.
zBigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #11

I've got cut clod tires now, and they work ok, just looking for something a little taller to et my diffs off the rocks a little more.
As for the links, I'm in the ballpark at around 6 inches, so I should be ok, just wanted to make sure. The truck does pretty good right now, but there's this pesky et of stairs that's been driving me crazy.... lol