Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: my new bta set up (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default my new bta set up (pics)

i couldn't change the title of my old thread to update it so i started this one. if one of the mods wants to merge the two thats fine. well i reconfigured my bta that i set up on friday. i decided that i didn't like the idea of the draglink under the gearbox and it just didn't work well. in order to clear my lower link and get the steering link to the knuckle,, i built a little plate that attaches to the knuckle. from there i added a spacer to keep the drag link up over the lower link. then it was just a straight line over to the servo horn. while i was at it i shaved down the knuckles to increase the steering throw. what an improvement. here is a pic of the old setup

here is the new gear

sorry the last two are a little blurry, but i think you can make it out. now i am going to pull the rear knuckles and give them the dremel treatment
tony tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #2

Looks badass! I like that idea.. Keep um coming and keep us updated on how it works.
RamCraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

X2 ^^
dannan_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

That's a nice fix for your draglink, should work great now.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the props guys. well after some testing today i found my little plate bends kind of easy. i will find something more rigid to make it out of,,or i might double it up. regardless, it works awesome! i may also shorten the spacer post,,i don't think it has to be that tall. it may be adding to the bent plate also. i have some carbon fiber flat stock. maybe i'll try that. oh and as for the steering, i notched the c braces a bit since the knuckles were hitting them, and shaved the rear knuckles and it has about a 2-3 foot turning radius.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Release your anger..

ingenuis
any pics on how much more artic you get
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i'm not sure about what you mean gt40,,,"more" artic?? i don't think i gained any .

well while that little design worked great,,it was a little weak. the little plate bent after about 15 mins. back to the drawing board i went. since it was evening and not much was open, i used what i had. which reminds me,,,where do you guys get all your material?? all i have here is canadian tire, rona, and home hardware. neither of the carry any aluminum. not tube, angles or rod well anyways, here is a pic of the beefed up steering. what do you guys think of this set up? it seems to be alot stronger.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
I lost my vendor privileges

lookin good. sorry i will have to snag that idea from you. thanks..
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

well i did just patent it,,so that'll be $5 for royalties and likeness rights and all that other stuff lol . be sure to show us how you make out with it!!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default neewb!!

Looks like your turning pro at this!!!!!!! You might want to flip the steering link bolt up (threads and nut on top) for a little more clerance. looking good!!!!!!!!
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

lol thanks! yeah i am going to trim those extra threads. i can't flip it, there isn't enough room for 2 nuts side by side,,,,did i just say that??
Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Not too sure where abouts North of the boarder you are, but I get all of my stock from Metal Super Markets. They end up with alot of end cut left over stock that you can pick up pretty cheap. Might want to see if there is one close to you. BTW I might owe you $5 bucks for the set up.....looks good so far.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote