Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 55t and 65t for Clod Stall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 55t and 65t for Clod Stall

Has anyone ran a 55t for the front and a 65t for the rear with the same tooth pinions like 8t to clear up there Clod Stall? The reason I ask is b/c I have two 8t pinions and one 65t already. Or should just buy a 9t and another 65t?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

Well unless your gonna run 2 ESC's, it won't work very well at all....... The faster motor sucks all the juice, leaving the lesser of the 2 sitting there.

I tried it with a 45t and 55t and tried several different pinions. All the same results..Unless you have 2 ESC's, there is NOWAY around clod stall. JIA did an article on this and did several different routes and none of them worked.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

If you already have everything why not try it. As has been stated numerous times, nothing "stops" clod stall. However, trying things like the different motors and pinions will change the point at which you experience the stall. My setup with 9T rear/10T front stalls at a different point than when I had 9T/9T or 11T/10T.
Jason's article proved the point that you will always have clod stall. I wish he would have done testing to what the changes did up to the point of clod stall. Maybe I will do that. Hmmmmmmm

I would say just try it, unless you were hoping to sell the motor as unused.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default It does not eliminate stall...

I am running, & always have run 45t in the Fr. w/ 55T in the rear...
I use 8T pinions & a TR2.

I get as much stall as I want, when I want it usually!
If I don't want it to stall, I just give a lil' more throttle...

It works great for me!

jm.02
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytard
I am running, & always have run 45t in the Fr. w/ 55T in the rear...
I use 8T pinions & a TR2.

I get as much stall as I want, when I want it usually!
If I don't want it to stall, I just give a lil' more throttle...

It works great for me!

jm.02
Ray is right. sence pulling out the TTR gear units I am running a 45 turn in front and a 55 in the rear with 8 tooth pinions . it work good for me .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

I run a 55 front, 65 rear, 8 tooth pinions, love it!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

heres another one, rc4wd 6 tooth pinions.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I was running a 45T in front and a 55t in back with rc4wd internal gear reductions and a super rooster. It ran great it almost eliminated cold stall, it would stall a little but give it a little throttle and it would go away. I changed to 2 45t's when I put in the 2nd esc.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
I lost my vendor privileges

running 55 turn axle snappers thru evx with 14.4 and almost unstoppable.
oh yeah you guys cant get rid of me.lol
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I've tried two different approaches.

1. 55t's in front/rear with a 9t pinion in front and 8t in rear.
It worked fine.

2. 55t in front and 65t in rear with 8t pinions f/r. This setup worked best IMO.

Note: both setups were wired in parallel.
Flash Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I had to dig this up because i am experiencing bad clod stall, bad enough for me NOT wanting to drive the truck. At first it wasn't apparent but after the rig got used a little, the stall starting showing it's ugly face and never looked away. Every hill climb has the front axle spinning and the rear sleeping until i give it full throttle. Even at full throttle, the rear doesn't spin as fast as the front. I am running 55t's and 10t pinions with an evx esc, 7.2v 3600 or 3700 batt and rx pack up front.

From what i read, clodstall is a result of electricity taking the path of least resistance so....if i were to drive up a hill, the rear gets the big load and stalls. If i were to drive up the hill BACKWARDS, the front should stall right? When i do it in reverse, the front never stalls out and the rear runs fine. What's causing the rear to stall when going up forward and not the front when going up backwards? If i were to hook up both batteries (will have to get the same mah battery) and run duals with my evx, will i be seeing less stall?

i hate clodstall.......(not you Clodstall )

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-15-2007 at 02:50 PM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I hear you, clodstall sucks...(not you clodstall ), you may need to service one of your motors, check the brushes and comms.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
I hear you, clodstall sucks...(not you clodstall ), you may need to service one of your motors, check the brushes and comms.
Just did that two or three days ago. My rig's kinda heavy so that may be playing a role. Maybe running it on 14.4v (dual batteries) would wake up that rear? I do have two batteries but they are different mah's so i'll have to get a twin.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
I had to dig this up because i am experiencing bad clod stall, bad enough for me NOT wanting to drive the truck. At first it wasn't apparent but after the rig got used a little, the stall starting showing it's ugly face and never looked away. Every hill climb has the front axle spinning and the rear sleeping until i give it full throttle. Even at full throttle, the rear doesn't spin as fast as the front. I am running 55t's and 10t pinions with an evx esc, 7.2v 3600 or 3700 batt and rx pack up front.

From what i read, clodstall is a result of electricity taking the path of least resistance so....if i were to drive up a hill, the rear gets the big load and stalls. If i were to drive up the hill BACKWARDS, the front should stall right? When i do it in reverse, the front never stalls out and the rear runs fine. What's causing the rear to stall when going up forward and not the front when going up backwards? If i were to hook up both batteries (will have to get the same mah battery) and run duals with my evx, will i be seeing less stall?

i hate clodstall.......(not you Clodstall )
Running dual ESC's and batteries off the same throttle channel really shouldn't make a difference. It may just be a difference in the motors and how they are wearing like Cart suggested. I have had Integy 55T motors that performed very differently. I'd swap the front motor to the rear and go with it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

im thinking of trying the 2 esc set up do i have to run two batterys or just wire them both to one
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

2 55's with 8t pinions and an 11.1V LiPo won't stall very often.. If it DOES, it's bound up pretty heavy and a BL would snap parts in that kinda spot... One of the guys in our group here runs that way and he can go super slow up some pretty steep inclines with splits and cracks in the rocks and it won't stall out no matter how slow he goes... I've watched him and even once we tried to make it stall and it didn't... >shrug<

That seems like a good combo to keep stall down to a minimum... Just give the lathes more juice...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
2 55's with 8t pinions and an 11.1V LiPo won't stall very often.. If it DOES, it's bound up pretty heavy and a BL would snap parts in that kinda spot... One of the guys in our group here runs that way and he can go super slow up some pretty steep inclines with splits and cracks in the rocks and it won't stall out no matter how slow he goes... I've watched him and even once we tried to make it stall and it didn't... >shrug<

That seems like a good combo to keep stall down to a minimum... Just give the lathes more juice...

Seems like it's all about power. I'm gonna go dual-batt and see how it does.