Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Stock 1987 clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Stock 1987 clod

Hey guys, just got done freshening up a stock 1987 Chevy clodbuster. Original body with bow tie grill and Chevy tailgate. Truck was all stock when I got it, had typical broken frame where torque arms mount and a broken steering pivot on the front axle.

I first plated the inside of the frame where the pivot bolts go and used automotive body panel epoxy to stiffen everything up. I even used that around the bottom mount bolts and the steering servo plate mount. I took both axles completely apart, cleaned, added bearings and greased. Still has the stock tamiya silver can motors.

I wanted to keep the msc just because. I do have a no name dual motor esc but don't know if it'll take 3s or not and that's what I eventually want to run. I did replace the stock resistor with a dual resistor set up. They're both .6 ohm resistors but are much larger in size and have much more surface area for cooling. I also added a small cooling fan to keep them cool once I run 3s to them. I ran a new 6 cell stick pack through it today and they barely even got hot. Even with a lot of slow speed driving. I did buy a new orange spektrum 3 channel receiver so I could use my dx4c radio with it. I really needed fine endpoint tuning to get the msc dialed in and be reliable.

The steering is typical weak at a standstill but turns just fine moving. I did put a different servo in, solar d772 with a bigger horn for more throw to help with the steering. But it still has so much flex and deflection between the servo and wheels but I don't care. I want it stock and have the whole clodbuster experience. Thanks for looking!
Ben

Next to one of my many 1:1 square bodies

Last edited by Itali83; 07-02-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stock 1987 clod

Looking good Ben!I spotted the resistors in the blue bracket.Can't remember what they came off of.I knew they would come in handy someday lol.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
avengernut is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock 1987 clod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1987 Clod Buster project älärpee Tamiya Clod Buster 3 12-15-2009 04:40 PM
1/8 1987 iroc-z usa1man Chit Chat 16 11-28-2007 01:25 PM
Ever seen a stock width clod on stock kongs? SR5Dave Chit Chat 4 11-27-2004 08:46 PM