Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Wheel weights and foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheel weights and foams

O.K guys I've searched and didn't find exactly what I needed to know. I am building a 17" WB pimp cane with 40 series beadloack and moabXLs. I have truck pull tires on it now and they are a little over 1/2 full of regular BBs and that weight works well for pulling the rest of the truck up an incline ( like stairs or my couch). What do you all recommend I do with these new wheels and tires in the way of weight. I was thinking of lining the outside of the rim (inside the tire under the foam, if i use it) with 1/4 oz stick on wheel weights, but I can only fit about 10oz or so in there without overlapping the wieghts. Good idae or not? I've read ppl are useing more weight than that, but i dont know where to put it. I've got a six c pack over the front axle, but I think I'll need more. Do I need to put weight in there rear wheels also? Also what should I do with the foams, use them , not use them, cut them into a star shape (I saw that on here once.). Thanks for helpin out a fellow crawler.

-BIGMAXX-
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #2

Just quit worrying about it so much and get out and CRAWL....:-P:-P:-P
sportsman1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

10 oz. that seems like alot. I'd say run about 6-7 oz. up front and about 3-5 oz. out back. I'd also ditch the real bb's for some airsoft bb's.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I do not know if this will help but i thought i would throw this out there any ways .On my pimp cane i was running about 8 ounces of weight on each front knuckle and 2 sub c cells on each front knuckle.Out back i was running about 4 ounces of lead weights on each rear knuckle and 1 sub c cell on each knuckle i also had one sub c cell on the rear axle tube.This seemed to be the sweet spot for my setup .I personally do not like to run weight on the wheels due to the rotational mass you add i try to keep the weight on the knuckles and out of the wheels.
I am curently re-working my setup and moved the 2 cells off the rear knuckles and the one off the tube to the front.I just removed enough stick on weights and offset the weight with cells.I then added 5 more sub c cells to the rear for a big reciver pack and removed lead to end up at the same weight i had before.
My reason for doing this was since i had to add the lead to get the chassis like i wanted it why not loose some of the lead and add something usefull like the extra cells.I know most people are going to look at it and say why so many battires but in my opinion why not i am not any heavier than i was before and i have a longer run time and more power out of my steering.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I tried airsoft BBs in my super, and I have to say I didn't like them. I found some really soft foam that I ripped out of the back of an old couch, and cut it up into chips about 2/3 of an inch square. I like it so far but I need to add some weights to the knuckles. I wouldn't recommend sticking weights to the wheels, as it puts more strain on your servos, and means more stress on the motors when they're trying to pull out of a bind.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tips and I'll be checking for more. I guess I wont be putting weights in the wheels. Now what to do with the foams, I like the star shape idea to give the aired down function and still give the stiff grip it sometimes takes to grab an edge to get over it. Anybody doing this with there foams, ANY IDEAS??
Thanks
-BIGMAXX-

Last edited by -BIGMAXX-; 01-27-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

or another easy way to put wieght on the tires is to run knuckle mounted batteries
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

How do you wire knuckle mounted batteries to each other, wouldn't that leave a lot of wire all over the place? Got a pic, it would help out alot, because that seems like the way to go.
Thanks for the help
-BIGMAXX-
Old 01-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I got Losi Zombie Maxx tires on Maximizer offsets... NO foam at all, airholes punched and 3OZ of stick ons in each of the fronts... Bit more weight would be good for me but that'll hafta wait til I can get some more strips... The Zombies are a fair bit lower on the profile than much anything else... GC is a bit of an issue with it, but, I can go where a lot of others can't...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BIGMAXX-
How do you wire knuckle mounted batteries to each other, wouldn't that leave a lot of wire all over the place? Got a pic, it would help out alot, because that seems like the way to go.
Thanks for the help
-BIGMAXX-
no there is not much wire to deal with. here are some pics. just to let you know depending on your wideners knuckle packs may or may not fit. as you can see in the pics there is only like an 1/8" of space between the wheel and battery cell. and my wheels are narrowed 3/4" of an inch.

do these help ya?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy
no there is not much wire to deal with. here are some pics. just to let you know depending on your wideners knuckle packs may or may not fit. as you can see in the pics there is only like an 1/8" of space between the wheel and battery cell. and my wheels are narrowed 3/4" of an inch.

do these help ya?
With the batterys out of the wheel wouldn't they get hit on rocks when rock crawling.
Moondust1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

they are up just high enough that they dont hit
Old 01-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Will there be any thing to protect them INCASE they do hit.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondust1950
Will there be any thing to protect them INCASE they do hit.
ya there will be a sheet metal skid that will go aroung them
Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

You know that 2/3 A would have fit in the Wheels? That would help lower you COG alittle. But I would just get a different set of Wheels. Those beadlocks work well and are pretty cheap. They just don't have enough room to fit battery packs in. Thats why I went with XTM's.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ya there will be a sheet metal skid that will go aroung them
ok Thanks for explaining

james
Old 01-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
You know that 2/3 A would have fit in the Wheels? That would help lower you COG alittle. But I would just get a different set of Wheels. Those beadlocks work well and are pretty cheap. They just don't have enough room to fit battery packs in. Thats why I went with XTM's.
i was debating on getting 2/3 A cells but i couldnt find a good place to get them. ya i was pissed when i found out that my packs wouldnt fit in the wheels. i dont think i would ever run XTM's i hate how they look.(too blingy)
Old 01-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

The pics are awesome that shows me exactly how to do it, I got the same wheels and tires as you ('83 chevy) but I Have not narrowed them yet I want to get some crawling in on them before I do so I can compare. I don't have any wideners I was going to just run with the 12mm to 23mm adapters (which I still need if any one has a set layin' around PM me) from the looks of the pics I dont think I'll be able to do the knuckle batt setup until I narrow the wheels.
-BIGMAXX-
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

i use lead stick on weights i dont like the bbs for a lot of reasons the only 23mm adapters out there that dont widen the truck are benders and he said to narrow your rims
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i dont think i would ever run XTM's i hate how they look.(too blingy)
Have you ever seen the black ones? Much better!
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote