Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: The Chronicles Of The Blue Ox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default The Chronicles Of The Blue Ox

Well I know nobody has seen the Blue Ox yet but since its allready up to phase three I figure its about time to show her off.

Phase One:
Wheel Base: 11.5"
Ground Clearance: 4"
Motors: Stock Silver Cans with 15's
Tires: Stock
Body: Lexan Stock Body
Other Comments: I picked this bad boy up at a garage sale in a box of rc "junk" for $40 the box contained a midnight pumkin that I promptly sold for $60 to a guy at work. A few black foot parts that i threw away. And (drumroll please...) one totally stock rolling clod, and a sassy chassy clod running one s3003 servo for steering, an MSC, silver cans, and bearings. this is the one i chopped the frame on and added aluminum shocks i also built custom mounts to keep the axles from rotating. (this added about 10 degrees or artic) i drove this around once threw it in a box under my bed and resolved to make it my winter project.

Phase Two:
Wheel Base: 16.5"
Ground Clearance: 7.5"
Motors: Integy Lathe Motors with 9's
Tires: Stock/ Cut
Body: Proline Jeep CJ8 (Duh)
Other Comments:After going to church camp for a week and having my friends new mod clod crawl all over my stampede I decided it was time to take my clod to the next level and have every aspect of it bigger and better than his gone are the wimpy sevros and the welcome addition of lathe motors give it the power advantage my clod needs. This time around I built my own frame out of lexan added four link suspension (however never use a rubber ruler your truck will be way different than you planned) cut the tires put some real motors and the torque of 9 tooth pinions to work however the trucks articulation was a crazy 120 degrees which obviously made for terrible crawling. this truck performed great in the woods but on the rocks it sucked something awful the axles would turn every time it articulated and with two wheel steering it was extremely hard to correct and the high ground clearance meant tons of roll overs but if i lowered the ground clearance the truck would grow to a wheel base of 19 inches which meant tons of high centering.

Phase Three: in progress
Wheel Base: 16.5-17"
Ground Clearance: 4.5-5"
Motors: Lathes with hidden 9's
Tires: Stock/Cut
Body: The Jeep
Other Comments: after weighing the 8 pound monster i decided weight and ground clearance must both go. If I ever figure out how to post pics i will throw them on here.
-Brad
team-nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Go to www.imageshack.com for instance and upload you pictures there, then use [img][/img] tags to post pics.
Or become a supporting member here, and you can upload your pictures here.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Heres a body on shot showing it dwarfing a 2 litre
Old 03-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

opps my bad thats the body off heres the body on one
Old 03-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

How do you get inside that thing being so high off the ground?

Most crawlers around here have about 4'' of clearance..Lower it more. Keep working on it and look at some of the members rides for ideas. try to keep the links parallel.
kwj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

ya thet thing is WAY to tall.
lower it about 5".
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

That thing is so high definately lower it
bubbacheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

lower it, about 10 inches!!!, but then it looks ok
pinkfloydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

lol thanks for the idea guys dont worry those are the phase two pics. now its 4 inches lower clearance and the bodys 4 inches lower as well making it 8 inches shorter but its actually half an inch longer i cut all the links down milled out the battery tray as well as milling a spot for the SR to sit lower for a total of half a pound lighter 4 inches lower CG and it doesnt always look like its falling over as soon as i get the next roll of film developed i will post phase three. im just about ready to tear it back apart and do a phase four making a stick type chassis you will notice too once i get phase three pics up that i now have behind the axle steering gotta tell you i love it it helps tons with approach angles especially with stock 6 inch tires
Brad
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team-nyke
lol thanks for the idea guys dont worry those are the phase two pics. now its 4 inches lower clearance and the bodys 4 inches lower as well making it 8 inches shorter but its actually half an inch longer i cut all the links down milled out the battery tray as well as milling a spot for the SR to sit lower for a total of half a pound lighter 4 inches lower CG and it doesnt always look like its falling over as soon as i get the next roll of film developed i will post phase three. im just about ready to tear it back apart and do a phase four making a stick type chassis you will notice too once i get phase three pics up that i now have behind the axle steering gotta tell you i love it it helps tons with approach angles especially with stock 6 inch tires
Brad
I'm speachless......
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

PS. Why waste time putting the coke can under the belly......you should have put the liter bottle under there!!!!!!!!!!!!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Lower it until the upper links are flat. 5" of clearance is still too much. mine has 4.5" and I'd lower it more but my wheelbase is too long (bottoms out)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

speachless???

man thats gotta be a first wanna be digler