Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Noob with a steering issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Noob with a steering issue.

Like it seems every other Noob in this place, I am a noob to crawling but not a noob to RC.

I have a clod with an NN chassis, stock wheels and tires, TT MIP CVDs, RC4WD wheel wideners, RC4WD metal on-the-axle servo mounts and JR 9000 servos and I am having a steering problem. I can get the wheels to turn one way but almost not at all in the other direction. This problem is both front and rear steering.

I am not sure how much this is pertinant but I see that the servo mount is rocking a little bit, and I also see that the C hubs are also torquing a little biy when I try to turn the wheels in the direction that they do not move. I will admit that I am mostly testing this on carpet but even on pavement I am seeing this behavior. I am also seeing significant body roll when I throw the servo in the direction of tires not moving. If I lift the chassis up off of the ground and throw the servos, then the tires move like they are supposed to. The end result is I can only turn in one direction, which makes maneuvering (even in my livingroom) kinda hard.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I have been trying to resolve this for the past couple of weeks. I have so far removed my heavy duty servo saver as that was preventing any wheel movment, and I have also gotten a longer steering link to accomodate for the widened TT axles. Any additional help in this would be greatly appreciated, I almost have a working crawler and just need this one thing fixed.

Thanks alot!!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you have the main steering link too short... As in it attatches to the knuckle right next to the servo.. Am I correct in assuming this? If that be the case, get a longer link and put it to the other side... That'll straighten that up right away... As for the mount, mine used to twist outta shape, too, til I set the dual rate... My C hubs don't flex tho' 'cos I have the RC Guy C braces...

Post a pic of yer setup.. That would really help a whoile lot more than just telling about it...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

Default I'll give that a shot.

The link is a little short, its about 3 mil's short right now. I will try and fix that. I am in the process of moving to a new apt this week so I am not sure if I will be able to get to this by this weekend. If this does not fix the problem I will resurrect this thread and post pics.

Thanks for the help.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

What kind of radio are you using? Sounds like you need to set the EPA's on your servo channel. This tells the servo the limit of travel when you steer each direction.

I am running some pretty high torque servos and if I didn't have my EPA's backed off where they need to be, I could easily twist a knuckle off when it trys to force itself where the steering linkage and turning ability of the knuckles won't let it go.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Two juicy servos will drain BEC voltage of your ESC. What kind of ESC are you running? You might have to run a reciever pack to regain the voltage/amperage those 2 servos need to turn those big arse stock jumbo tires. Just try running one servo to see if it helps. Also, make sure EPA is adjusted. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
CRAZYRT is offline   Reply With Quote