Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: building a new crawler ,couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default building a new crawler ,couple questions

im getting ready to build my first crawler ,i think i have everything i need but have a few questions about how to make it work.
im starting with the axles and motors off my 2 week old clod
waiting for my cpe evo chassis to come in the mail
proline moab 40 series tires
maximizer bead lock wheels 14mm
jenfun?? wheel adapters
cpe shock mounts
tower pro high torque servos 190 lbs torque
novak super duty xr speed control
hitec micro reciever
tmaxx shocks
venom 3000 mah batteries
airtronics mx3 reciever
i still have to make the piece to mount the top links to the axle housing i have a pretty good idea how im going to do that and still have to make servo mounts which shouldnt be a problem either but im confused with how to mount the lower links to the clod axles ,i havent come across any clear pictures and how to wire up the the servos for the steering im not afraid to make up my own wire harness just need to know which wires need to be switched to reverse the servo and also which servo would be revesed im guessing its the rear one .ive seen the mods for the mx3 to put the rear servo on a 3 way switch but im not sure that i want to butcher my radio ,i use it for my other rides and i may want to add the reverse to my savage 1 day
mch441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #2

i mounted my lower links in the brace for the axle on the metal part on the last hole in it
all i did for the servo was zip ties put the servo on the brace and put ties in the places that the screws would normaly go it holds fine for me

i am running 4 wheel steering on a 2 channel radio i am useing a Y harness so they where both going the same way but then you put the servo horn a diffrent way and it works its hard to tell you typeing though
offroaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

On my particular Clod, my lower links are mounted on the bottom half of the C hub where the knuckle attatches... I also have the inner braces that have holes in them and that makes like a template for where to drill the holes... They should be on the top half but with stock motors and mod motor mounts, it's just not feasible at this moment until I can get some rod ends with an off-set ball or some 35T lathes...

As for your 4WS... Just get a Y harness... If you're using the same servo's, then the rear will need to have the horn flipped to the top and most likely some kind of unit to raise the link mount position as to keep things all level and in line... Some servo's are reversed to others factory... There's also a Y harness that reverses the servo's and even has a centering pot on it... I used a non-reversing Y on my TLT I had and ended up using a Mugen 8th scale buggy wing support to bring the liknkage up and be level and in line...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Just so you know, those tires you have won't fit on those wheels. Maximizer wheels are Maxx sized (3.2") and Moabs are 40 series (4").

Last edited by 4link4eva; 02-12-2007 at 02:16 PM.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

for the servos im planning on using some L stock aluminum to make my servo mounts and im going to mount them on top of the long axle brace at each end of the truck i want somthing nice and solid
Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
Just so you know, those tires you have won't fit on those wheels. Maximizer wheels are Maxx sized (3.2") and Moabs are 40 series (4").
im in bristol pa usa little to far away from you to make a deal

that really blows!!! i guess ill probably just send them back to tower and order another set that will fit my beadlocks.any suggestions on a good set of tires to fit those wheels.i was looking at the tires that are on my savage thinking they would probably work pretty well and should be able to fit my rims ??
Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

the best tires to fit the maxx rims are masher 2000 or lost zombies
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

since you already have the moabs and the 14mm adapters just get a set of xtm thorns, they are the best rim for the moabs IMO because they keep the tire from wadding up, plus there around $35 for 4.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote