Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: behind the axle steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default behind the axle steering

I was wondering exactly how behind the axle steering works and how it hooks up. What all parts are needed and whats the pros and cons. Right now I have my servo standing up and down infront of the Clod axle on my pimp cane, I'm planning on mounting it to the axle brace , but before I buy the mount I'd like to research this set up. any help would be awesome. I did use the search and didn't really find much.
Thanks alot,
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

im very new to this and the current clod i just got used runs steering behind the axle. Im very curious to hear the pro's and con's because i was going to redo the steering to have it the more ?Traditional? way...

JOe
Kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

main reason is the steering links are behide the axle so they cant get hanged up on things also helps your approach angle search for it youll find alot of ones guys on here made there self
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I am using the Thundertech Aggressor setup and have been happy with it. The only downsides are that it is another thing to buy or build. I modified mine to get rid of a little slop. Also, you have to be careful to avoid any binding problems with the suspension links and motors. There is not much space. The advantages are the improved approach angle. See pic below. There is nothing to hang up on as you approach a face. I use a skid plate to prevent getting hung up on the steering after getting over an obstacle. I get full range of steering and the setup has been dependable.

I am going to attempt to fabricate my own the next time I need a BTA system.
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i'll take a pic of mine today... mine was home built and seems to be very effective... not the prettiest but it works .

JOe
Kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, that looks like a nice setup Dystance. I did search for it but I spelled out the words. I'll try searching (BTA). meanwhile keep the info coming.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I wish Thunder Tech sold that servo mount/axle brace seperate of the whole kit. I'm still sorting (Shorting?) things out with mine. Might try the stickies @ the top of the forum...FAQ for clods, Grizz did alot of the footwork and put that **** there for us.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Roktoy has a setup on his website that it looks like he made (very nice I might add)... it looks like a regular link with another link attached with a cable clamp (same thing you use for link mounted shocks)

Here is a link...
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk4/rcs...frontaxle2.jpg

I hope you dont mind me useing your picture here Jay...

Later,
Jake
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the good links and pics. Now whats up with people running the motors in front of the axle, sure it would add more wieght to the front but it would ruin approach angles wouldn't it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

bigmaxx you mean the axle flip where the rear faces backwords like the front thats for mostly ground clearance and rock crawling is mostly up hill so after the front axle clears the rear the motor is the first thing that hits not anymore if you flip it
Old 02-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

The way the steering knuckles are designed the outside tire turns sharper that the inside tire when the tie rod is in front of the axle. This is opposite of what you want for maximum turning and causes the inside tire to push the front end, making the turning radius larger.

BTA makes the inside tire turn sharper than the outside. This is another benefit of BTA besides cleaning up the front of the axle.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i found one like ttr one but its plastic and half the price http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...=&part_id=3202